expandables

Ubuntu on raspberry pi version 2

Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:38 am

Hi I have been wondering this for a while now. Why did the raspberry pi foundation went with Ubuntu (Unity) instead of going with something more faster such as Lubuntu (LXDE).
By thinking like an engineer you can create a raspberry pi.
Michael Jackson enthusiast.
I got the PI model B, B+ and PI 2 model B.
When will I get the A? I don't know.

ric96

Re: Ubuntu on raspberry pi version 2

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:07 am

Isn't ubuntu snappy just CLI?
My apologies for shameless YouTube Plugs...
youtube.com/sahajsarup
twitter @sahajsarup
skype srics1996
e-mail: [email protected]
Blog: http://www.geektillithertz.com/wordpress
Web: http://www.geektillithertz.com

Mequa

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:23 am

The Ubuntu Linaro image from winrtmute comes with LXDE, like Lubuntu (and Raspbian).

Unity would indeed be too heavyweight for the Pi, along with GNOME 3, Cinnamon, and KDE.

The Raspberry Pi Foundation haven't yet released any "official" Ubuntu desktop images (besides the Snappy development alpha, which has no GUI), most likely they would come with LXDE (plus the UI enhancements from Raspbian).

fruitoftheloom

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:01 am

expandables wrote:Hi I have been wondering this for a while now. Why did the raspberry pi foundation went with Ubuntu (Unity) instead of going with something more faster such as Lubuntu (LXDE).
There is no official Canonical support for the Raspberry Pi, the only RPF Linux Distribution is Raspbian ARMHF.

The other Operating Systems offered are developed independently.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Jednorozec

Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:54 am

Mequa wrote:Unity would indeed be too heavyweight for the Pi, along with GNOME 3, Cinnamon, and KDE.
KDE is fine on the Pi2.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

DomL

Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:48 pm

Jednorozec wrote:
Mequa wrote:Unity would indeed be too heavyweight for the Pi, along with GNOME 3, Cinnamon, and KDE.
KDE is fine on the Pi2.

I confirm KDE is fine on the Raspberry Pi 2...

The only issues I have so far are :
- the thick borders which appear around some objects (such as pop-up windows). I imagine I need to fine-tuned the selection of themes of something of that sort...
Is there anything obvious one needs to know to get rid of that problem ?

- an issue I already faced when trying to install KDE on Raspbian (a combo that works as well) : it seems impossible to use the tool to add widgets to the desktop. What could cause that "widget manager" to be unreactive to any click ?

DL

russalex

Sun Feb 22, 2015 5:19 am

expandables wrote:Hi I have been wondering this for a while now. Why did the raspberry pi foundation went with Ubuntu (Unity) instead of going with something more faster such as Lubuntu (LXDE).
Yes, you can do it now with custom Raspberry Pi 2 update - (unofficial) Ubuntu 14.04 image, just follow this link:

http://www.finnie.org/2015/02/16/raspbe ... available/

I successfully tried and installed Xubuntu and Lubuntu on my Pi 2! Amazing! A lot better then official Pi flavors...

gkreidl

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:04 am

russalex wrote: http://www.finnie.org/2015/02/16/raspbe ... available/

I successfully tried and installed Xubuntu and Lubuntu on my Pi 2! Amazing! A lot better then official Pi flavors...
Better by what? Is there anything that you can do with Ubuntu you cannot do with Raspbian?

At the moment Ubuntu may have newer packages than Raspbian Wheezy but that will change soon with migration to Jessie.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

fruitoftheloom

Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:33 am

gkreidl wrote:
russalex wrote: http://www.finnie.org/2015/02/16/raspbe ... available/

Better by what? Is there anything that you can do with Ubuntu you cannot do with Raspbian?

At the moment Ubuntu may have newer packages than Raspbian Wheezy but that will change soon with migration to Jessie.
Quite agree, and if there are issues, who do I ask not Canonical not Linaro, but a disparate community of volunteers who could leave any time.

Thanks but no thanks Raspbian on the RPi and Lubuntu LTS on my Desktop is more than adequate.
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Return to “General discussion”