"Monster" RPi 2 image now available

17 posts
by Mequa » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:56 am
I have just released a torrent of my custom Monster RPi 2 image, a 3.41GB compressed RAR download for 32GB or higher micro-SD cards for use in the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B.

Monster RPi 2 contains 4 operating systems for the Raspberry Pi 2 all pre-installed, pre-configured and ready to multi-boot from a single micro-SD card:

- NOOBS bootloader based on latest NOOBS 1.3.12 (2015-02-02), modified to include Ubuntu Linaro.
- The latest Ubuntu Linaro desktop image from wintrmute, patched to run on NOOBS.
- Updated Raspbian with latest apt-get dist-upgrades (not unstable rpi-update). Wolfram/Mathematica and Sonic Pi packages were removed to save space (they can be added back easily).
- OpenELEC Raspberry Pi 2 NOOBS download version updated from 5.0.2 to 5.0.3.
- RISC OS Pi patched RC12a with latest beta ROM image and updated firmware and config settings to run on the Raspberry Pi 2.

To run this MONSTER image featuring 4 operating systems working out of the box, you need a 32GB (or higher) micro-SD card, and of course a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B. The card I used is a SanDisk Ultra Class 10 32GB micro-SD, which can be picked up relatively cheaply online.

This setup gives you around 9GB each for both Ubuntu/Linaro and Raspbian installs, and uses the entire micro-SD card for storage on the various partitions.

Note: Do NOT run rpi-update on the included Ubuntu Linaro, it WILL render the card unbootable!

The included OS's are pre-configured by default for UK users and for use over HDMI with audio. They can of course be re-configured for international users and for analogue output.

The image can be flashed on Windows using Win32DiskImager, or using dd on Linux. (Although it's based on NOOBS, the installation is as for non-NOOBS images). As it's a 32GB image when uncompressed, it will take a long time to flash to a card, so please be patient. I recommend extracting the RAR file to a compressed file system to save disk space.

Note: I am currently seeding this over a slow ADSL connection, so I would appreciate any seeders, and if anyone is willing to host this over http it would be fantastic!
by Mequa » Tue Feb 17, 2015 2:03 pm
Update: Seeding my end is now complete, this can be downloaded much faster now.
by benysamo » Thu Feb 19, 2015 2:26 am
is it possible to only boot 2 os and use a 16g sd card?
by BMS Doug » Thu Feb 19, 2015 11:55 am
benysamo wrote:is it possible to only boot 2 os and use a 16g sd card?

No, not from the Image that Mequa has seeded.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.
by Oldbitcollector » Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:14 pm
Do I understand correctly that each of these operating systems is bootable without disrupting the other by simply rebooting and selecting the other OS?

If so, This looks like a perfect image for demonstrating the Pi to a group.

Jeff
My Ongoing Raspberry Pi Reference: http://www.ledgerlabs.us/raspberrypi
by Mequa » Fri Feb 20, 2015 4:29 am
Oldbitcollector wrote:Do I understand correctly that each of these operating systems is bootable without disrupting the other by simply rebooting and selecting the other OS?

If so, This looks like a perfect image for demonstrating the Pi to a group.

Jeff

Indeed it is. You can reboot any time and switch between Ubuntu Linaro, Raspbian, OpenELEC, and RISC OS. All are set up and configured to "just work" on a Pi 2 over HDMI with sound.

This may not work on all 32GB SD cards due to slight differences in size, let me know if a card is incompatible.

I've yet to add the recently updated NOOBS and Raspbian, however the included Raspbian can be easily updated via "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist-upgrade" on a Terminal.

Due to the size and my currently slow upload speeds (~100KB/s), I'll wait until a new Ubuntu Linaro image is available before producing and seeding a new image of this.
by Jazzback » Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:33 pm
How can i mount the Partition that holds config.txt for Raspian so i can Enter the MPG and VC1 Codecs? Or if i enter the Codecs keys in open elec will they apply for all 4 Distros?
by Danielle » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:43 pm
Thanks Mequa for coming up with this, I have been looking for a media centre/browser option so I can switch between openelec and raspbian to then stream from Netflix.

All I need now is for Netflix to work on Raspbian, I have read this is unlikely at present but I live in hope.

Nonetheless, the ease of switching os's without getting off the sofa is looking great :)

Danielle
by NDeangiver » Sat Mar 21, 2015 8:46 pm
I am completely new to Pi. Just took it out of the box yesterday, downloaded this image, used Win32 Disk Imager to put img on 64 GB card. After it runs, the card shows approximately 130 MB, the pi tries to boot then nothing. I get a rainbow square on screen then the LED just turns red. Any ideas?
by slappy123 » Tue Mar 24, 2015 7:14 pm
sounds like a solution for me, but link to image seems no longer working
by Mequa » Wed Mar 25, 2015 3:40 pm
The image above is still available - the torrent file is hosted on my Dropbox, you need to load this into a torrent client (such as Vuze) to download the image. It still has seeders.

However, if you want to multiboot, I would strongly recommend using BerryBoot instead.

Before writing BerryBoot to an SD card, I recommend SDFormatter for Windows and Mac, the same as with NOOBS.
Download the appropriate version from the BerryBoot site for either Raspberry Pi 1 or Raspberry Pi 2, and extract the archive to the freshly formatted SD card, before safely removing the device.

Then boot this card on a Raspberry Pi 2 with Internet over Ethernet, and from the menu, you can install not only the latest official Raspbian, but also a version of Ubuntu Linaro with LXDE for Pi 2 (which can easily be updated to Ubuntu 14.04 LTS Trusty Tahr), as well as the latest OpenELEC for Pi 2 (with Kodi Media Center).

There is even a version of Android KitKat (with no graphics acceleration yet, so not really usable - that depends on the open-sourced drivers Broadcom released being made into a suitable driver stack). There are loads of other Linux distros available for it too.

However, my personal recommendation now for a multi-boot Raspberry Pi 2 setup is:

Use BerryBoot to install Raspbian, Ubuntu Linaro, and OpenELEC (3 of the 4 OS's I included in my "Monster" RPi 2 image), and perhaps non-accelerated Android (very slow but proof of concept), then update them all (including Ubuntu to 14.04 LTS).

The only downside is that RISC OS Pi does not work on BerryBoot, so you'll need a separate SD card if you also want to use RISC OS (unless the RISC OS Pi team can make a BerryBoot-compatible version). Other than that, I strongly recommend BerryBoot over NOOBS for multi-booting. Each OS installed gets the full SD card space available instead of a small fraction, and you can add and remove OS's easily, so this is simply a much more efficient use of the SD card.
by NDeangiver » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:06 pm
Update on the above rainbow screen issue....
I do a lot of pc things so I had an older version of the image burning software and was using a Sandisk wireless thumb drive with a 64 gb ds card installed.
I updated to the latest version of the image software and immediately received errors trying to burn the file. Swapped to a Kodak sd adapter and the burn took a few hours. I was able to get a boot from that image but haven't experimented much other than that. I'll keep updating as I do more.
by hdenie » Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:35 pm
I am a little confused
What is the process, to install monster RPi2 with the BerryBoot application ?
by glsmaxx » Sat May 02, 2015 3:53 pm
I am having problems with BB. I downloaded the zip and extracted it. Then copied all the files to car. Will not work. Both red and yellow light just stay on.

Was going to try and use windows img writer but there are 2 files when extracted one kernel and one bb img.?

anyone?
by Darkyere » Fri Oct 09, 2015 10:00 am
Any chance this could get seeded again?
Or posted on some fileserver somwhere to get it?

I simply cant find it anywhere on the net and i really wanna give it a try and see how it works :)

Ty and best regards
by Heater » Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:07 pm
Mequa,

Who are you and why should we trust you?

It's always said that downloading random binary executables from anonymous places on the net is a sure fire way to get hosed by malicious code.

Here we are invited to run entire unknown operating system software.
by Darkyere » Mon Oct 12, 2015 6:01 pm
Heater wrote:Mequa,

Who are you and why should we trust you?

It's always said that downloading random binary executables from anonymous places on the net is a sure fire way to get hosed by malicious code.

Here we are invited to run entire unknown operating system software.

Its true enough. Just wanted to have a look at the noobs config files though.

But its of no matter now. I managed to install ubuntu mate 15.04 with noobs. alongside raspbian, osmc and openelec.

So i wont need a reseed of monsterrpi2.rar.

Ty and best regards,
Darkyere