prestoforresto

Stable OS for pi 400

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:29 am

I give up on the Debian distro it has been a day and a half of stupid when it comes to bluetooth (audio and xbox controller) and bluetooth audio, the default install has an issue with swap files too. RetroPie pfft, that isn't going to happen for sure...
Yes, I followed the install instructions posted on here too.

I was going to hand this off to my kid to learn something but with all the issues he will simply be discouraged.

To save me another day of frustration...is the Ubuntu image any better?
Should I just buy a Pi 3 and put this new one in a box (or maybe that version is just as off?)?

Yes, I am serious (and bit cranky). Need a bit of guidance.

W. H. Heydt

Re: Stable OS for pi 400

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:39 am

RPiOS is the fully supported OS for all Pi models, including the Pi400.

If you have a problem with RPiOS, this is the place to get help. For other OSes, you should probably check with their support forums.

jahboater

Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:48 am

kerry_s

Tue Jul 27, 2021 2:10 am

prestoforresto wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 1:29 am
I give up on the Debian distro it has been a day and a half of stupid when it comes to bluetooth (audio and xbox controller) and bluetooth audio, the default install has an issue with swap files too. RetroPie pfft, that isn't going to happen for sure...
Yes, I followed the install instructions posted on here too.

I was going to hand this off to my kid to learn something but with all the issues he will simply be discouraged.

To save me another day of frustration...is the Ubuntu image any better?
Should I just buy a Pi 3 and put this new one in a box (or maybe that version is just as off?)?

Yes, I am serious (and bit cranky). Need a bit of guidance.

good vent, but what is it your trying to achieve?
general desktop?
gaming?
music?
movies & tv?

the rpi can do most things, but it really depends on the use. it's an all purpose device, but doesn't do any 1 thing well.
newer bluetooth devices, especially the 1's with apps to configure are a toss up if it will work or not.

there are actually a few os's, i have a preference for manjaro, cause it offers varies desktops & the maintainers are in the forum. it's based on arch, so it's pretty updated being a rolling release. but like any os it has it's fare share of problems, right now there gnome & kde are going through heavy updates. i use xfce & recommend that for stability.
https://github.com/manjaro-arm/rpi4-images/releases
scroll down to 'latest release'(arm-stable).
prerelease are arm-unstable branch, they may or may not work, some don't even boot.

prestoforresto

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:03 am

Thanks Kerry, yes, it was a decent mini-rant :-)

I have a Windows laptop for most things work including programming but I like this platform better for somethings. My uses vary but mostly it is for sharing with my son:

-retropie
-electronic projects (I have experience here)
-other integrations
-force me to use Linux more often.

Sure I will be doing some surfing. Bluetooth is handy for integrations like controllers and other modules, no extra software with the hardware.

I will give your advice a shot.

Everyone else: yes, I am using the Pi distro...on berryboot though.....if this is a big mistake then please flag me on that.
Going further down the rabbit hole on Bluetooth isn't in the cards for me, I have read enough posts on it some of the on here and not sovled.

thanks

kerry_s

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:14 am

prestoforresto wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:03 am
Thanks Kerry, yes, it was a decent mini-rant :-)

I have a Windows laptop for most things work including programming but I like this platform better for somethings. My uses vary but mostly it is for sharing with my son:

-retropie
-electronic projects (I have experience here)
-other integrations
-force me to use Linux more often.

Sure I will be doing some surfing. Bluetooth is handy for integrations like controllers and other modules, no extra software with the hardware.

I will give your advice a shot.

Everyone else: yes, I am using the Pi distro...on berryboot though.....if this is a big mistake then please flag me on that.

get yourself several sd cards, try not mix systems have a different setup on each and just swap cards.
linux has overlapping settings, different setups mess things up.

Gavinmc42

Tue Jul 27, 2021 3:21 am

I don't use OS picking distributions like Berryboot etc
Too confusing for me.

Just use the default Raspberry Pi 32bit OS.
If you need LibreOffice and games preinstalled, put the big one on a 32GB minimum Sandisk A1 uSD card.
If you want a minimal Desktop OS grab the smaller one, a 16GB uSD is ok for that.

I use an external WD SSD in a ASMedia USB 3 to Sata caddy.
My Pi 400 is my home PC for developing, overclocked a little to 2GHz.

Welcome to Linux, roll up your sleeves, lots to learn.
Hint - you will never be able to learn it all.

Retropie is better on another uSD.
Twister OS is a good game OS too.
PiCore Linux is sleeves rolled up all the time ;)
Ultibo for baremetal, when you get tired of Linux getting in the way.
Latest Ubuntu is supposed to be not bad now.

If you grab a bunch of 16GB A1 cards you can carry many OS's around.
Once you find ones you like USB3 sticks are better, less likely to snap in two :oops:
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

CaxtonPi

Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 am

I give up on the Debian distro it has been a day and a half of stupid when it comes to bluetooth (audio and xbox controller) and bluetooth audio
Bluetooth is the Raspberry Pi OS's weakest link. Apart from that it works pretty well. Persevere. Search this forum for solutions for problems. Don't expect it to perform like an Xbox or Windows!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:34 am

CaxtonPi wrote:
Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:12 am
I give up on the Debian distro it has been a day and a half of stupid when it comes to bluetooth (audio and xbox controller) and bluetooth audio
Bluetooth is the Raspberry Pi OS's weakest link. Apart from that it works pretty well. Persevere. Search this forum for solutions for problems. Don't expect it to perform like an Xbox or Windows!
We use the standard BlueZ bluetooth stack, so its entirely from the upstream Linux, apart from the lowest level driver. BlueZ is continually being updated, so I suspect it isn't that great but it is the best we have.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

bjtheone

Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:58 am

Bluetooth has always been somewhat flaky on Linux. I have had issues on x86 desktops, x86 laptops and now ARM Pis. It does seem to be somewhat device dependant and devices that work well, seem to perform well on all Linux boxen.

Given my past experiences I tend to ignore Bluetooth on Linux and stick to 2.4 GHz RF wireless for devices or WiFi.

GlowInTheDark

Tue Jul 27, 2021 12:56 pm

Given my past experiences I tend to ignore Bluetooth on Linux and stick to 2.4 GHz RF wireless for devices or WiFi.
Things that are just not yet ready for prime time...

BTW, when I first saw this thread title, I thought for sure OP was looking for help using the Raspberry Pi to manage his horses and their living arrangements.
Poster of inconvenient truths.

Linux zealot and proud of it.

Return to “General discussion”