joyrider3774

Thanks to brexit i had to pay more import / handling fees than what the books / issues cost me

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:11 pm

Thanks to brexit i had to pay more import / handling fees than what the books / issues costed me... issues / shipment cost me around 12 euro but taxes / import handling costed me 15 euro. I'm not buying anything anymore from it

The only way i see this problem resolved is by having a depot in europe to ship books / issues from raspberry pi press.

What makes me happy though is that's its probably the same for uk people ordering things from inside europe

pidd

Re: European people don't bother ordering books / issues from raspberry pi press anymore ...

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:29 pm

What were the shipping and handling fees before Brexit?

Postal charges in the UK have usually (pre-Brexit) been dearer than within the rest of the EU, I wouldn't consider £3.50 for delivery from outside the UK to be abnormal.

Some of our delivery charges have gone up due to Covid rather then Brexit.

joyrider3774

Re: European people don't bother ordering books / issues from raspberry pi press anymore ...

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:31 pm

before brexit i did not have to pay the extra 15 euro handling / import fees. Due to brexit UK parcels are considered the same as lets say china and we have to pay import handling / fees on it. So the cost would only have been the 12 euro (pre brexit) and not 27 like i had to pay now (after brexit) in total (2nd screenshot)

incognitum

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:44 pm

Is the second bill from the delivery company?

Pi Press not doing the IOSS thing?

joyrider3774 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:11 pm
The only way i see this problem resolved is by having a depot in europe to ship books / issues from raspberry pi press.
Not necessary.
Sellers can pay the EU VAT due through IOSS (not 15 EUR, but just the rate applicable in customer's country. E.g. 21%).
If the seller paid the VAT through IOSS, and mentions the IOSS registration number when sending the parcel, the delivery company is not supposed to be charging any administrative fees.
Last edited by incognitum on Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pidd

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:50 pm

joyrider3774 wrote:
before brexit i did not have to pay the extra 15 euro handling / import fees. Due to brexit UK parcels are considered the same as lets say china and we have to pay import handling / fees on it. So the cost would only have been the 12 euro (pre brexit) and not 27 like i had to pay now (after brexit) in total (2nd screenshot)
I missed the small print at the bottom due to me having screen problems at the moment.

Surely at €11.54 it is under some threshold, I don't get charged anything like that for deliveries from EU or China either before or after Brexit.

joyrider3774

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:51 pm

2nd screenshot is from the postal services in my country and i had to pay that for handling / import fees. It's possible different postal services in different (eu) countries will ask different amount of money for the (administrative) handling and such

joyrider3774

Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:52 pm

pidd wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:50 pm
joyrider3774 wrote:
I missed the small print at the bottom due to me having screen problems at the moment.

Surely at €11.54 it is under some threshold, I don't get charged anything like that for deliveries from EU or China either before or after Brexit.
there are no thresholds anymore since 1 july for products outside EU all products comming outside of eu nomatter the price are now subject to import handling (fees) and taxes. before 1 july the threshold was about 22 euro

incognitum

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:00 pm

joyrider3774 wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 5:52 pm
there are no thresholds anymore since 1 july for products outside EU all products comming outside of eu nomatter the price are now subject to import handling (fees) and taxes. before 1 july the threshold was about 22 euro
If Pi Press would use IOSS it would only cost the tax, and there should not be any additional fees beyond that.
Last edited by incognitum on Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joyrider3774

Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:12 pm

incognitum wrote:
Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:00 pm
It Pi Press would use IOSS it would only cost the tax, and there should not be any additional fees beyond that.
yes but seems they are not doing it (yet) then (if they ever will do it)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Thanks to brexit i had to pay more import / handling fees than what the books / issues costed me

Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:33 pm

I will be asking Pi press to take a look at this thread.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Applications Team.

helenlynn
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Thanks to brexit i had to pay more import / handling fees than what the books / issues cost me

Wed Jul 21, 2021 7:12 pm

Sorry for the rather slow follow-up to this - as you can probably imagine, the situation is a bit complicated, and I had to check things out with colleagues who deal with finance.

The upcoming good news is that we should soon be registered for a system called IOSS, which will mean that all sales taxes due for purchases by EU consumers will be calculated and paid at checkout in the Raspberry Pi Press online store. Customers will be able to see them and decide whether they want to pay them when they buy books and magazines from the store. We also hope - but can't promise - that the overall cost will be lower; the high fees that the OP mentioned may have included some service or handling charges. But you'll be able to see what that cost will be before you commit to paying it.

Frustratingly, while the IOSS stuff is still being set up, EU customers will be subject to these charges, but this annoying situtation should be only temporary. Again, I can't promise, but we expect things will be sorted over the next few weeks.

liz

Re: Thanks to brexit i had to pay more import / handling fees than what the books / issues cost me

Fri Jul 23, 2021 12:58 pm

Some good news: it's been a bit of a slog, but we have now been allocated the IOSS number. This means our Press site now calculates VAT owed by customers ordering from the EU automatically at the point of purchase. TL;DR: there should be no additional fees for EU customers when you're buying from our site.

Thanks for your patience; as all of of you who have been dealing with Brexit disentanglement at your own workplaces will know, the amount of hidden bureaucracy that we're still only just uncovering is...quite stupendous! Please let us know if you spot anything else that looks amiss.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

joyrider3774

Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:32 am

Hi,

Thanks for the follow up and doing the neceassary things to prevent this from happening in the future. I'm happy to see how quickly this got resolved.. Good work.

umproko5

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:03 pm

Hi,

Any idea how to have a purchase actioned in the pi store?

jbudd

Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:53 pm

The Pi store is an actual shop isn't it? If you are in Cambridge you can go in and wave some cash.
Otherwise use one of the online retailers listed at https://www.raspberrypi.org/products/ra ... 4-model-b/

B.Goode

Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:35 pm

jbudd wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 5:53 pm
The Pi store is an actual shop isn't it?
No.

Not in this context.

You are correct that there is a 'bricks and mortar' retail outlet in Cambridge.

I believe there is no direct association with this query which is about Codecs, not books, hardware, or membership of trading blocks.
Ref: viewtopic.php?f=62&t=317930&p=1902951#p1902951

umproko5

Sat Aug 21, 2021 3:50 am

I have tried contacting the online store regarding my order from Aug 9th. The payment was accepted but no response from the store.

pidd

Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:20 pm

Because it is printed matter there should be no VAT nor duty on these items.

I don't know what the EU are doing but ....

Imports to the UK (from anywhere):-

If value is below £29 there is no VAT
If value is below £135 there is no duty.

Edit: Please ignore.
Last edited by pidd on Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

joan

Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:39 pm

pidd wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:20 pm
Because it is printed matter there should be no VAT nor duty on these items.

I don't know what the EU are doing but ....

Imports to the UK (from anywhere):-

If value is below £29 there is no VAT
If value is below £135 there is no duty.
I think that has changed in that VAT is now always collected at the point of sale (that's been the case for my recent sub £30 AliExpress purchases).

I.e. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nuary-2021

pidd

Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:58 pm

joan wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:39 pm
I think that has changed in that VAT is now always collected at the point of sale (that's been the case for my recent sub £30 AliExpress purchases).

I.e. https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... nuary-2021
Yep, I'll stand corrected, I checked the status last week but must have pulled up an old document.

Most of my imports are from America and they have been collecting VAT and Duty for many years (before ebay started their Global shipping program). I haven't had anything held at customs for many years and assume the suppliers know what they are doing.

Return to “General discussion”