doodeet3
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Pi 400 case

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:21 pm

hey you know how there are cases for the pi 4, well is there a case for the 400 without a keyboard?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 29044
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pi 400 case

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:23 pm

Not in that form factor, but we make a case for the pi4 which has the same capabilities.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

Blanktopcoder
Posts: 19
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2020 1:44 pm

Re: Pi 400 case

Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:57 pm

Yes you can get a case for the pi 400! Go to PiHut website and there will be a large array of cases! :D

doodeet3
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:18 pm

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am

no like a case like the pi 4 has a case/box like the pi 400 would not have the keyboard but just the tech

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14858
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 am

doodeet3 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am
no like a case like the pi 4 has a case/box like the pi 400 would not have the keyboard but just the tech
The keyboard and stiffener plate/heat sink is the tech the distinguishes the pi400 from the pi4, so that *is* the case.

ejolson
Posts: 7601
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:06 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 am
doodeet3 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am
no like a case like the pi 4 has a case/box like the pi 400 would not have the keyboard but just the tech
The keyboard and stiffener plate/heat sink is the tech the distinguishes the pi400 from the pi4, so that *is* the case.
I think the Pi 400 would fit in a standard laptop bag, but there would be lots of extra room inside and it's not clear how well the power adapter would fit.

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 4575
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia
Contact: Twitter

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 am
doodeet3 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am
no like a case like the pi 4 has a case/box like the pi 400 would not have the keyboard but just the tech
The keyboard and stiffener plate/heat sink is the tech the distinguishes the pi400 from the pi4, so that *is* the case.
The pi400 is also clocked higher by default so there is that minor difference as well as potentially having a more desirable form factor design (all ports on one edge is a major purchasing decision for some people)
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

User avatar
HermannSW
Posts: 4268
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2016 9:09 pm
Location: Eberbach, Germany
Contact: Website Twitter YouTube

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:50 am

doodeet3 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am
no like a case like the pi 4 has a case/box like the pi 400 would not have the keyboard but just the tech
You can easily open Pi400 case and disconnect keyboard cable.
I opened and added RTC to my Pi400:
viewtopic.php?f=140&t=309191&p=1849682& ... 0#p1849682
Image
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/2wheel_balancing_robot
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en#raspcatbot
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/Raspberry_v1_camera_global_external_shutter
https://github.com/Hermann-SW/raspiraw
https://stamm-wilbrandt.de/en/Raspberry_camera.html

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 14858
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:07 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:26 am
doodeet3 wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:19 am
no like a case like the pi 4 has a case/box like the pi 400 would not have the keyboard but just the tech
The keyboard and stiffener plate/heat sink is the tech the distinguishes the pi400 from the pi4, so that *is* the case.
The pi400 is also clocked higher by default so there is that minor difference as well as potentially having a more desirable form factor design (all ports on one edge is a major purchasing decision for some people)
The higher default clock is because of that stiffener plate/heat sink.

aBUGSworstnightmare
Posts: 3224
Joined: Tue Jun 30, 2015 1:35 pm

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:57 am

A standard Pi4 4GB in an armour case (i.e. https://www.berrybase.de/neu/armor-geh- ... arz?c=2389) can be easily used at 2GHz.

And no, you can't buy the Pi400 mainboard and no, there is no case for it as well! If you want to have all connectors on one side get a CM4 + CM4IO + case https://www.berrybase.de/neu/metall-geh ... ter?c=2410
Add a passive heatsink if you want it to be quiet viewtopic.php?f=98&t=298810

User avatar
Imperf3kt
Posts: 4575
Joined: Tue Jun 20, 2017 12:16 am
Location: Australia
Contact: Twitter

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:38 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 am
The higher default clock is because of that stiffener plate/heat sink.
I thought it was partially because of the plate/Heatsink. The Pi400 received a C0 stepping revision that the pi4b did not get.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=314313&p=1880810#p1880597
Has it already received that stepping now? There is no way to know as a consumer.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

Rose tinted glasses are difficult to see through.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 29044
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: Pi 400 case

Thu Jul 22, 2021 9:02 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:38 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:26 am
The higher default clock is because of that stiffener plate/heat sink.
I thought it was partially because of the plate/Heatsink. The Pi400 received a C0 stepping revision that the pi4b did not get.

viewtopic.php?f=63&t=314313&p=1880810#p1880597
Has it already received that stepping now? There is no way to know as a consumer.
The C0 will eventually end up on the Pi4 as well. Might even be out there already on the CM4? We don't announce stuff like that as it should be a transparent change.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

Return to “General discussion”