dreelis
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:19 pm

problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:02 pm

Hi, I looked but didn't see this problem listed anywhere.
I have a PI400 and i am trying to install bootberry on a new kingston a400 240gb ssd.
Before i got the ssd I was able to get it to work on a USB drive 32 gb, but when I started over and tried to install on new ssd i get:
pi error.jpg
error message
pi error.jpg (118.13 KiB) Viewed 481 times
I had the ssd attached to the Pi first with the Os that came with the machine and could access it but only had problem with the berryboot installation. I got this problem and when looking around the internet and one forum I found with similar problem(i think) and said try reformating it with guiformat in windows. Did that and got same problem
I am relatively new to the Pi and all of this , any help of what I can do or if the drive is faulty.

Thank you for any help

RonR
Posts: 2255
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: US

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:30 am

That error message is very suspicious.

The first sentence says the error occurred zero'ing USB device sdb, but the second sentence then places the blame on the SD card.

If you partition and format the drive NTFS under Windows, can you plug it into the Pi400, mount it, and copy files to and from it without any problems?

User avatar
Disaster Incarnate
Posts: 47
Joined: Wed Nov 11, 2020 4:42 am
Location: Planet Earth (Usually)

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sat Jun 19, 2021 5:11 pm

saw other posts where ppl had issues with the usb adaptor they were using to connect the ssd rather than the ssd itself, haven't seen that error message myself yet tho.

dreelis
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:31 pm

Thanks for your replys

I have the ssd plugged into a Sabrent case and then usb from case to PI. I will try to get a connecter soon to plug straight to machine and not through case.

dreelis
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:51 pm

RonR wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:30 am
That error message is very suspicious.

The first sentence says the error occurred zero'ing USB device sdb, but the second sentence then places the blame on the SD card.

If you partition and format the drive NTFS under Windows, can you plug it into the Pi400, mount it, and copy files to and from it without any problems?

It connects to Pi and I can add and remove files from it.
when I formatted the drive I didn't partition

RonR
Posts: 2255
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: US

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sat Jun 19, 2021 10:17 pm

dreelis wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:51 pm
RonR wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:30 am
That error message is very suspicious.

The first sentence says the error occurred zero'ing USB device sdb, but the second sentence then places the blame on the SD card.

If you partition and format the drive NTFS under Windows, can you plug it into the Pi400, mount it, and copy files to and from it without any problems?

It connects to Pi and I can add and remove files from it.
when I formatted the drive I didn't partition

What does 'fdisk -l /dev/sdX' show for the SSD?

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 5816
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:28 am

What does "lsusb" report?
Most USB3 SSD issues are the driver chip.

Most assume it is the SSD itself, ignoring the chip that converts USB to the SSD.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

RonR
Posts: 2255
Joined: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:29 pm
Location: US

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:50 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:28 am
What does "lsusb" report?
Most USB3 SSD issues are the driver chip.

Most assume it is the SSD itself, ignoring the chip that converts USB to the SSD.

But the SSD apparently works fine on the Raspberry Pi 400 for normal use:
dreelis wrote:
Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:51 pm
It connects to Pi and I can add and remove files from it.

It certainly can't hurt to look at the USB-to-SATA adapter model, but it appears that it's only BerryBoot that's not getting along with the SSD.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 5816
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:54 am

It certainly can't hurt to look at the USB-to-SATA adapter model, but it appears that it's only BerryBoot that's not getting along with the SSD.
Different/older driver?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

dreelis
Posts: 4
Joined: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Re: problem with Kingston ssd with raspberry 400

Thu Jul 01, 2021 5:10 am

After looking around on the internet and asking questions, a few suggestions were the case might be the problem. I purchased a connector everything is working fine......so far

Return to “General discussion”