gerbreown

Unable to connect to Raspberry Pi Zero wh

Tue May 11, 2021 12:01 pm

I just received my second (2) Raspberry Pi Zero WH and I Can NOT ping or ssh into either of them.

When I go to my router's admin page it shows "raspberrypi with ip address of 192.168.1.5".

If I ping from my Ubuntu laptop with ping raspberrypi.local it shows the address of 192.168.1.5 and then "Destination Host Unreachable". If I ping any other devices that show up in my router I get the same error message. So there must be a problem with the router and NOT RPis.

I have 5 other RPis, a model 2, 2 model 3B+ and 2 model 4 that are connected via ethernet and I can ping them. The Zero has only wifi so that may be part of the problem.

Any suggestions on how to fix this problem are more than welcome.

Thanks,

Gerald.S Brown

pcmanbob

Re: Unable to connect to Raspberry Pi Zero wh

Tue May 11, 2021 12:06 pm

Have you enabled SSH on the pi ?

Does your router have wifi isolation enabled ? which would prevent a wired device from connecting to a wifi connected device .
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

gerbreown

Wed May 12, 2021 11:59 am

Thanks for your reply.

I was unable to find if my router has AP Isolation turned on or off. I have been searching for several hours now and am more confused by some of the results I found that say WHAT it is and WHY I would want it or not but NONE specified HOW to change it. Also a lot of articles are very old and obsolete.

I have 4 other RPis running and none of them have the problem, just the two new ZERO W.

Of the articles that did have any information say that might be what I need.

I might have to call my ISP's Useless Support and discover they know even less about it than I do.

Thanks again.

drgeoff

Wed May 12, 2021 4:09 pm

if your router has a user setting for WI-Fi client isolation it is very unlikely that it defaults to on. So if you have never found it and turned it on ....

If your router has no user setting for Wi-FI client isolation then there certainly is no isolation unless it also has a second Wi-FI network (eg guest, FON, BT Wi-Fi etc) and you are connecting to that instead of the main network. But in that case the router would not show that IP address.

Conclusion: Wi-Fi client isolation is a red herring. Your problem is elsewhere.
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

jbudd

Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 pm

Do you have more than one Pi with the default hostname "raspberrypi"?

What do you get if you ping 192.168.1.5 ?

I suggest you use RPi Imager to burn a new copy of RPiOS. Use the advanced options (Is it CTRL SHIFT X? something easy to remember anyway) to change the hostname, enable SSH and setup wifi access and country.

Now :
Can you ping hostname.local?
ping IP address?
Can you ssh pi@hostname.local?
ssh pi@IP address ?

gerbreown

Thu May 13, 2021 11:11 am

jbudd wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 6:32 pm
Do you have more than one Pi with the default hostname "raspberrypi"?
All of my RPis have an unique name and the one I just gave this one is "raspi-101" where the middle digit represents the model. The others are raspi-121,131,132,141.

What do you get if you ping 192.168.1.5 ?

I suggest you use RPi Imager to burn a new copy of RPiOS. Use the advanced options (Is it CTRL SHIFT X? something easy to remember anyway) to change the hostname, enable SSH and setup wifi access and country. Did all of this

Now :
Can you ping hostname.local? It shows the ip address which is now 192.168.1.4 and then the error message " Destination Host Unreachable"
ping IP address? Same error message.
Can you ssh pi@hostname.local? No. Error message is "No route to host"
ssh pi@IP address ? Same error message.
On the first one , which I purchased from Adafruit.com, I communicated with their Tech Support numerous times doing mostly the same things as you have said. Was finally told to email their support and report it as being defective, which I did and they sent me a new one free of charge. I could see where one system might have problems but now I have the same problems with the second one so there must be a problem with my systems.

The weird thing is that it shows up in the routers admin page with the old name (raspberrypi) and with the new name (raspi-101) and when I ping with the host name it shows the ip address that is assigned by the router. One difference with my other RPis is that each has 2 static addresses, 1 for ethernet and the other for the wifi and I can ssh in to either of them and all of them are connected via ethernet, which the Zero does NOT have.

Like they said in an old radio show: "Who knows what evil lurks in the mind of the Zero? The SHADOW knows.. Where is the Shadow when he is needed???

Any other ideas of what I can try to get this system up and running?

Thanks for your help

jbudd

Thu May 13, 2021 11:47 am

When I set up a Pi headless I put the ssh file and my wpa_supplicant.conf file into /boot from my Windows PC.
When I boot the Pi it always (so far) connects to wifi.
Currently my router is the one supplied by my ISP.

Some people have reported connection problems when the router has both 2.4 and 5GHz with the same ssid. It shouldn't be relevant since the Zero W only has 2.4GHz but you could try turning off 5GHz.

Is there anything unusual about your router? Do you have a seperate DHCP server on the network?
I am a bit puzzled that your Zero seems to have a different IP address after you reinstalled RPiOS.
Can you reserve IP addresses on your router? Compare the list of connected MAC addresses with and without the Zero, reserve an IP address for the Zero's MAC.
Is there any useful info in the router's log files?

All of your other Pies have both Wifi and Ethernet. But can you ping/ssh them if you unplug ethernet?

Maybe you need to connect a screen and keyboard so you can diagnose the problem from the PI's point of view.

neilgl

Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 pm

Yes what jbudd said and what make of router is it ?

gerbreown

Thu May 13, 2021 12:46 pm

jbudd wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 11:47 am
When I set up a Pi headless I put the ssh file and my wpa_supplicant.conf file into /boot from my Windows PC.
When I boot the Pi it always (so far) connects to wifi.
Currently my router is the one supplied by my ISP.

Some people have reported connection problems when the router has both 2.4 and 5GHz with the same ssid. It shouldn't be relevant since the Zero W only has 2.4GHz but you could try turning off 5GHz. I just checked the router admin and it shows my laptop,which has a static address, and the zero as wifi clients but none of the other RPis which also have static ip addresses.

Is there anything unusual about your router? Do you have a seperate DHCP server on the network?The router is a combo fiber modem and router and is supplied by the ISP.
I am a bit puzzled that your Zero seems to have a different IP address after you reinstalled RPiOSThis is because the router assigned another address when the Zero was rebooted.
Can you reserve IP addresses on your router? Compare the list of connected MAC addresses with and without the Zero, reserve an IP address for the Zero's MAC.Not sure how to do that.
Is there any useful info in the router's log files?

All of your other Pies have both Wifi and Ethernet. But can you ping/ssh them if you unplug ethernet?This seems to be the problem because when I disconnected ethernet from my lap top I was not able to ping them either. Just disabled the static ip for wifi on one of my other RPis and the router assigned a IP address which I was NOT able to ping with ethernet disconnected.

Maybe you need to connect a screen and keyboard so you can diagnose the problem from the PI's point of view.I have an extra wireless mouse and keyboard that uses a USB dongle. I also have an extra HDMI monitor but no cable to attach to the Zero. Guess I will have to visit the computer store tomorrow and get a USB converter and a HDMI cable

gerbreown

Thu May 13, 2021 12:48 pm

neilgl wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 12:16 pm
Yes what jbudd said and what make of router is it ?
The router is a fiber optic modem/router supplied by the ISP.

Thanks for the post.

neilgl

Thu May 13, 2021 1:26 pm

Yes what make of router is it and which ISP - some may have similar ones, to look into admin/setup reserved addresses e.g. I have Shell Energy (TalkTalk) ISP and their router which I replaced with my Netgear D7000.
Also maybe install fing on your phone/iPad so you can see the devices on your network.

gerbreown

Thu May 13, 2021 2:01 pm

The make of the router as listed on the back is GIPON ONU Model AN5506-04 Fiberhome Telecommunications.

The ISP is PLDT which is Philippine Long Distance Telephone

jbudd

Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm

This seems to be the problem because when I disconnected ethernet from my lap top I was not able to ping them either. Just disabled the static ip for wifi on one of my other RPis and the router assigned a IP address which I was NOT able to ping with ethernet disconnected.
I think that your router has AP Isolation enabled by default. That prevents communication between wired and wifi devices on your lan. (Except, just possibly, when the wifi device has a static IP?)

If you can't find a setting for this in the router web pages you will have to speak to your ISP.

There is a YouTube video which may be relevant https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7isz_0Hn0M. Unfortunately I can't understand his Filipino English accent! :oops:

gerbreown

Fri May 14, 2021 1:10 pm

I finally found a tutorial that showed how to disable the AP Isolation, but It still doesn't work..

Even though I am a transplanted Michigander from the former great state of Michigan after 17 years of living here I still have problems with the accents too.

As to connecting the Zero to a mouse, keyboard and monitor I was not able to find the hardware I will need to do that here at 2 different computer stores.

Will continue to look for a solution to this problem.

jbudd

Fri May 14, 2021 2:31 pm

I suppose a way around it might be to use a second router to connect your Ethernet and wi-fi devices to, the pldt one to talk to the internet.

You have quite a few Ethernet connections. Are you using a switch? Maybe that isn't passing Lan packets to the router? That's only speculation, I'm no expert.

gerbreown

Tue May 18, 2021 12:13 pm

Sorry for the late reply because I have been having other problems.

I have a 8 port hub. One is used as an input from the router and the other 7 go to individual devices.

Return to “General discussion”