sandwich

fingerprint reader to log in?

Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm

Like many people I'm tired of typing in my password all the time.
Is there any plan to put a fingerprint reader in the next iteration of the Rpi 400?
I hope adding it would be super easy, barely an inconvenience.

RaspbianUser1

Re: fingerprint reader to log in?

Wed May 12, 2021 12:39 am

Well I don’t know if I could do it personally however take a look at
fprintf and pam-auth

However, no, I wouldn’t of thought the rpi engineers are making a fingerprint reader, I would hope they would focus on more important things like pci and sata or better CPUs
Running with a Raspberry Pi 4B 4GB with Raspberry Pi OS with MATE Desktop
Why not overclock, push some more performance out of your computer!
Think before you delete something a stranger on the internet told you to.

sandwich

Wed May 12, 2021 5:43 am

RaspbianUser1 wrote:
Wed May 12, 2021 12:39 am
I wouldn’t of thought the rpi engineers are making a fingerprint reader, I would hope they would focus on more important things like pci and sata or better CPUs
I think they've already ruled out better CPUs. The main bottleneck with the current one is that the teeny tiny L2 cache (1MB) is shared by four cores. But they don't seem to think Broadcom will ever increase that and they won't switch vendors. PCI and SATA won't help much compared to the L2.

deepo

Wed May 12, 2021 9:27 am

sandwich wrote:
Tue May 11, 2021 9:57 pm
Like many people I'm tired of typing in my password all the time.
Is there any plan to put a fingerprint reader in the next iteration of the Rpi 400?
I hope adding it would be super easy, barely an inconvenience.
Have you seen it on other Linux distributions (preferably Debian that Raspberry Pi OS is based on)?
If not, then don't get your hopes up.
Otherwise you could google how other people may have done this.
Have you found any solutions?

richrussell

Wed May 12, 2021 9:42 am

Fingerprint readers on quite a lot of laptops work out of the box in Gnome and KDE on other distributions, and it's entirely possible to plug in a compatible USB reader and configure things to authenticate using it on a Raspberry Pi.

The emphasis is on a compatible reader though - you'll need to do your own research before ordering anything. But there's plenty of documentation on configuring them online. Have a look at the fprint package, and also there are a number of threads on this forum discussing fingerprint readers. You can also use serial ones rather than USB if you want, connected to GPIO pins.

tpylkko

Thu May 13, 2021 5:58 pm

You could add a fingerprint reader to the pi. They can be bought from electronics shops and Alibaba/ebay and so on.

But if you really only want to not type in the password, then another option is to use blueproximity (for example) to allow unlocking the screen when a bluetooth device that you carry is in proximity. In the best case you already have a smart watch/phone and you don't need to even lift your finger to log in.

Return to “General discussion”