canbaubau

RasberryPi 400: good choice for a freelancer writer/ghostwriter?

Mon May 03, 2021 10:38 pm

Hi, rasberry users! I'm a freelance professional writer/ghostwriter who uses, for the 70% about of his working time, only OpenOffice and a web browser. I'm considering to buy a rasberryPi 400, because, with the coming summer, I'll increase my business and, since I would avoid to keeping on too many hours the air conditioneer that hurts me, I think a rasberryPi ,400 would be perfect with its low heating.

I woukd ask to current rasberryPi users if I would can be happy with this choice or if it is too underpowered for my needs

ejolson

Re: RasberryPi 400: good choice for a freelancer writer/ghostwriter?

Tue May 04, 2021 2:23 pm

canbaubau wrote:
Hi, rasberry users! I'm a freelance professional writer/ghostwriter who uses, for the 70% about of his working time, only OpenOffice and a web browser. I'm considering to buy a rasberryPi 400, because, with the coming summer, I'll increase my business and, since I would avoid to keeping on too many hours the air conditioneer that hurts me, I think a rasberryPi ,400 would be perfect with its low heating.

I woukd ask to current rasberryPi users if I would can be happy with this choice or if it is too underpowered for my needs
I think the CPU is powerful enough to run Open Office without trouble. As a writer I would encourage you to learn how to use the LaTeX document preparation system with a suitable text editor.

The main problem with a Pi 400 might be the comfort of the built-in keyboard. As you will likely need a different keyboard anyway, an 8GB Pi 4B could be the better choice.

KeithMck

Tue May 04, 2021 2:57 pm

If you are anything more than a hunt & peck typist, the answer is definitely no!

It has a terrible keyboard for a typist, keystroke misses, multiple inputs, & the keys themselves sometimes literally jump off.

As above, get a normal RPi4B & use a separate keyboard, you'll be glad you did.

The product itself is a great idea, just let down by the keyboard.

W. H. Heydt

Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm

ejolson wrote:
canbaubau wrote:

I think the CPU is powerful enough to run Open Office without trouble. As a writer I would encourage you to learn how to use the LaTeX document preparation system with a suitable text editor.
While that is a valid--pure--suggestion. As a freelancer and ghost writer, the OP is going to have to provide documents in formats that *other* people want, and that will--largely--be various MS Word formats.
The main problem with a Pi 400 might be the comfort of the built-in keyboard. As you will likely need a different keyboard anyway, an 8GB Pi 4B could be the better choice.
Agree with this.

Giga_Pi

Tue May 04, 2021 3:12 pm

Depends.

Like people have already said, the keyboard could work against you. Depends on what kind of keyboard you're used to.

It should be fine for the text editor you're working with. And a bit of web browsing won't kill it.

However, you may be better off with a Pi 4B paired with a keyboard of your choice.
GNOME for Pi

A project to get the popular GNOME desktop to run on Raspberry Pi OS.

Guide here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=66&t=276512

ejolson

Tue May 04, 2021 3:16 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:59 pm
ejolson wrote:
canbaubau wrote:

While that is a valid--pure--suggestion. As a freelancer and ghost writer, the OP is going to have to provide documents in formats that *other* people want, and that will--largely--be various MS Word formats.
Agree with this.
If you are doing technical writing, LaTeX is a popular and widely accepted standard. For narrative fiction, news or biographies, other tools may be more popular. As far as I can tell most scientists spend more of their time as writers than researchers. It is my experience LaTeX is the preferred choice for publishers accepting manuscripts and the same system is used by the copy editor.

Given the many scientists with non-native English writing skills, I suspect there are opportunities for capable ghost writers to clean things up before final publication.

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 04, 2021 4:38 pm

canbaubau wrote:

Whatever you decide, please ditch OpenOffice for LibreOffice which is the default in most ARMHF / ARM64 Operating Systems.
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

canbaubau

Tue May 04, 2021 5:30 pm

KeithMck wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 2:57 pm
If you are anything more than a hunt & peck typist, the answer is definitely no!

It has a terrible keyboard for a typist, keystroke misses, multiple inputs, & the keys themselves sometimes literally jump off.

As above, get a normal RPi4B & use a separate keyboard, you'll be glad you did.

The product itself is a great idea, just let down by the keyboard.
Thanks for tips. I have an hanging metal keyboard holder under my desk, so I can put an additional full 102 keys keyboard in this without loss of space on desk.

bjtheone

Tue May 04, 2021 5:31 pm

1) Check the formats you need to support. Some tools are only available on Windows and MacOS. While the formatting available in OpenOffice or LibreOffice comes close to Word it is not exactly the same for more complex stuff.

2) The keyboard on the 400 is not suitable for a demanding or fussy typist.

canbaubau

Tue May 04, 2021 5:32 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
canbaubau wrote:

Whatever you decide, please ditch OpenOffice for LibreOffice which is the default in most ARMHF / ARM64 Operating Systems.
I thought OpenOffice can be faster and lighter than libreoffice, or not?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue May 04, 2021 5:36 pm

As a professional writer, I would expect the OP to already have a decent keyboard. If the OP is on the move the Pi400 would be a better bet.

As for Latex, we used asciidoc for the Pico documentation, deliberately moving away from latex. Loads of convertors for asciidoc to PDF, HTML and other formats. I found it very easy to get the hang of. Not so great for equations etc, but the Pico docs turned out ok...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Working in the Application's Team.

canbaubau

Tue May 04, 2021 5:37 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:31 pm
1) Check the formats you need to support. Some tools are only available on Windows and MacOS. While the formatting available in OpenOffice or LibreOffice comes close to Word it is not exactly the same for more complex stuff.

2) The keyboard on the 400 is not suitable for a demanding or fussy typist.
My tasks do not involve the "desktop publishing" that I can do either with latex eighter with Scribus. I only need basic formatting like bold, italic, alignement and so on... I'm focused on content (for tales, narrative, poetry)

The point 2 you highlight it is a worth point, many others highlighted this issue that I can solve with an external keyboard

fruitoftheloom

Tue May 04, 2021 5:47 pm

canbaubau wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 5:32 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
canbaubau wrote:

I thought OpenOffice can be faster and lighter than libreoffice, or not?

Debian or Arch based ARMHF / ARM64 Operating Systems, which are supported on the Raspberry Pi SBC & 400, do not support OpenOffice, as the developers only support Linux running on x86 CPU Architecture.

Whilst LibreOffice was forked from Open Office.

LTolledo

Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm

aside from the x86 requirement (and the software name)
what major differences are there with OpenOffice and LibreOffice..?
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

wh7qq

Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm

Not saying anything bad about the 4B or the 400, either would handle the load, but as you would probably need a power supply and monitor, for just a bit more you could get a Chromebook with all of that as part of the package, plus the increased portability inherent in a laptop form factor. Probably you should look for an x86 model but that is another discussion.

ejolson

Tue May 04, 2021 9:54 pm

LTolledo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:26 pm
aside from the x86 requirement (and the software name)
what major differences are there with OpenOffice and LibreOffice..?
The relationship between OpenOffice and the others is depicted in

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarOffice

Apparently it's all derived from a product called StarWriter which originally ran on 8-bit microcomputers before being purchased by Sun Microsystems. I think StarWriter was a better name.

In my opinion, a Raspberry Pi with a good keyboard and at least one large monitor would make a writing environment that is much more comfortable than a notebook computer.

LTolledo

Tue May 04, 2021 10:11 pm

ejolson wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:54 pm
In my opinion, a Raspberry Pi with a good keyboard and at least one large monitor would make a writing environment that is much more comfortable than a notebook computer.
THAT'S YOUR OPINION!
funny though.... so as mine... I share the same :D

thanks for the chart!
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Gavinmc42

Tue May 04, 2021 11:38 pm

The OP did bring up the heating issues.

I find the Pi400 runs faster and cooler than a bare Pi4.
I agree the Pi4 with mechanical keyboard is probably a better choice for touch typing.

Writing is not a CPU intensive task, unless publishing software is needed?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

kerry_s

Wed May 05, 2021 1:01 am

i'd say go for it, an external keyboard can still be used when you want to get rough, but for daily use, quick jolts at a time, the rpi400 keyboard seems fine to me.

my use case is more of a desktop though, i'm not really doing long jolts of typing, i do touch type just fine.

bjtheone

Wed May 05, 2021 12:44 pm

wh7qq wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 pm
Not saying anything bad about the 4B or the 400, either would handle the load, but as you would probably need a power supply and monitor, for just a bit more you could get a Chromebook with all of that as part of the package, plus the increased portability inherent in a laptop form factor. Probably you should look for an x86 model but that is another discussion.
It totally comes down to the specific needs of the OP. I _hate_ most laptop keyboards, even ThinkPads which are reputed to be fairly good. I have always had good external keyboards at work and home and just dock the laptop. I only use the actual laptop keyboard when in meetings or when traveling.

Even more important that the keyboard is a decent (and likely large) monitor to get enough real estate for working. Potentially two monitors if you need reference material available while you write.

Of course you can work with far less, but if this is what you are doing for a living, decent tools make you much more productive.

AndyO

Wed May 05, 2021 7:38 pm

The Pi 400 is admirably suited to text-based work in LibreOffice - it's one of the primary uses I have for mine, and it is certainly operationally capable of it, doesn't suffer any overheating (or even much heating at all), and is able to support multiple file formats, and file swapping via external USB drives/sticks. It is a remarkably capable computer, particularly considering the cost.

The keyboard is the drawback, and could really only be recommended if taking the Pi 'on the road'. As a portable for a limited amount of typing it works acceptably, though it does seem a little fussy about exactly where on the keytop each key is pressed. That said, it does the job, even if apt to a higher rate of errors.

However, I use mine with an external mechanical USB keyboard, and that works very well.

Given that in the past we've used computers with considerably less power and on-board resources for this kind of task, it shouldn't be a surprise that a Pi can do this kind of thing

canbaubau

Wed May 05, 2021 8:08 pm

AndyO wrote:
The Pi 400 is admirably suited to text-based work in LibreOffice - it's one of the primary uses I have for mine, and it is certainly operationally capable of it, doesn't suffer any overheating (or even much heating at all), and is able to support multiple file formats, and file swapping via external USB drives/sticks. It is a remarkably capable computer, particularly considering the cost.

The keyboard is the drawback, and could really only be recommended if taking the Pi 'on the road'. As a portable for a limited amount of typing it works acceptably, though it does seem a little fussy about exactly where on the keytop each key is pressed. That said, it does the job, even if apt to a higher rate of errors.

However, I use mine with an external mechanical USB keyboard, and that works very well.

Given that in the past we've used computers with considerably less power and on-board resources for this kind of task, it shouldn't be a surprise that a Pi can do this kind of thing
Thanks to you and anyone else answered to my question. I thought to buy a RasberryPi 400 after having read it was more powerful than rasberryPi 4 and less prone to overheating.

I already own a very good logitech mechanical keyboard that I place under the desk in a dedicated metal hanging and sliding tray, so The space over the desk will be not affected and I can have only rasberryPi 400 and my 19 inches monitor.

I, however, Very like openoffice UI that is more pleasant for me. I read the answer that said OpenOffice is not available for rasberryPi, whilst I read several other posts where users said they successful installed OpenOffice with apt, so, before to buy, I would to know if OpenOffice is available through some repositories or not

Moonmarch

Wed May 12, 2021 10:06 pm

The Raspberry Pi has the same capabilities as a X86 computer. You only need to find the software that will run on the computer. I write with the Raspberry Pi all the time, in comparison to the numerous computers that I have. Mice, and keyboards will always be superior to touch screens, tablets, cell phones, etc. Online shopping is not a problem for the Raspberry Pi. Email websites, and email software is fully compatible with the Raspberry Pi. To use the Raspberry Pi computer, you would need to be familiar with Linux operating systems. People will tell you the Raspberry Pi is easy to use. A Linux operating system is not the same as Windows, and I use both operating systems.

fruitoftheloom

Thu May 13, 2021 4:19 am

canbaubau wrote:
AndyO wrote:

Thanks to you and anyone else answered to my question. I thought to buy a RasberryPi 400 after having read it was more powerful than rasberryPi 4 and less prone to overheating.

I already own a very good logitech mechanical keyboard that I place under the desk in a dedicated metal hanging and sliding tray, so The space over the desk will be not affected and I can have only rasberryPi 400 and my 19 inches monitor.

I, however, Very like openoffice UI that is more pleasant for me. I read the answer that said OpenOffice is not available for rasberryPi, whilst I read several other posts where users said they successful installed OpenOffice with apt, so, before to buy, I would to know if OpenOffice is available through some repositories or not

Yes OpenOffice *was* available several years ago, circa 2016, from Debian Repositories, but it is now 2021 and Debian offer LibreOffice for ARMHF and ARM64 Operating Systems.

How old were the posts you found ? anything older than a year is not worth even perusing.

canbaubau

Tue May 25, 2021 4:12 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu May 13, 2021 4:19 am
canbaubau wrote:
AndyO wrote:

Yes OpenOffice *was* available several years ago, circa 2016, from Debian Repositories, but it is now 2021 and Debian offer LibreOffice for ARMHF and ARM64 Operating Systems.

How old were the posts you found ? anything older than a year is not worth even perusing.
Yes. As far as I can remember these posts were older than one yesr. Only way to obtain openoffice is maybe through snap packages

https://snapcraft.io/install/openoffice/raspbian

Even if I'm not sure it is possible in current rasberry os. I should try

Return to “General discussion”