01grander

Chromium Crash While Printing(Print Preview)

Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:04 am

I just downloaded the latest version of Raspbian Desktop from the official site and I got everything working the way I want it but i found an issue. When I pull up a pdf and it opens in Chromium, as soon as a try to print, it crashes. I have swapped printer drivers and it does not help, it seems to only be related to PDFs and happens when the print preview loads or if print preview loads, if I select the bottom option, I forget what it says exactly(using system print) it will always crash.

I basically know nothing about PIs but my boss told me to figure it out and I am not sure. It’s a website that users register and log an entry so opening the pdf in the browser is pretty essential, the users are not technologically savvy.

We are using this for a website that was developed for Chrome/Chromium so I have to find a solution, i downloaded Firefox esr but the formatting is off and would have to be fixed but that’s not my area so I can’t tell our Dev to fix the issue, it’s a pretty complicated website.

Any ideas? I have run updates and chromium is on the latest version for Pis(88 something).

john-atwork

Re: Chromium Crash While Printing(Print Preview)

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:16 am

I've experienced this too, and have posted about it without getting a proper solution. I've noticed the crashing seems to happen less with recent updates. You can use Firefox instead for printing. I haven't had any crashes with it while printing.

fruitoftheloom

Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 am

01grander wrote:
I just downloaded the latest version of Raspbian Desktop from the official site and I got everything working the way I want it but i found an issue. When I pull up a pdf and it opens in Chromium, as soon as a try to print, it crashes. I have swapped printer drivers and it does not help, it seems to only be related to PDFs and happens when the print preview loads or if print preview loads, if I select the bottom option, I forget what it says exactly(using system print) it will always crash.

I basically know nothing about PIs but my boss told me to figure it out and I am not sure. It’s a website that users register and log an entry so opening the pdf in the browser is pretty essential, the users are not technologically savvy.

We are using this for a website that was developed for Chrome/Chromium so I have to find a solution, i downloaded Firefox esr but the formatting is off and would have to be fixed but that’s not my area so I can’t tell our Dev to fix the issue, it’s a pretty complicated website.

Any ideas? I have run updates and chromium is on the latest version for Pis(88 something).

Can you clarify what is "Raspbian Desktop"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

What model of Raspberry Pi are you using ?

What printer are you using and is it USB, Wireless or Ethernet connected ?
The information is out there....you just have to let it in.

My other Linux machines: ChromeBox
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32966393971.html
& Stone Desktop Intel CoreDuo circa 2010

mrlinux2u

Wed Apr 14, 2021 6:02 am

I've had this happen when using certain websites (i.e. Sage Online Accounts) when running on my Pi 4 printing to a network printer, it doesn't always happen and re-starting the browser eventually fixes it.

However a quick google provides a possible (if not ideal) solution which will disable the print preview and hopefully stop Chromium from crashing when printing.

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/320 ... t-or-c-sha

I'll give this a go when I get to work later and report back.

Cheers

Paul

01grander

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:01 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 5:10 am
01grander wrote:

Can you clarify what is "Raspbian Desktop"

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/

What model of Raspberry Pi are you using ?

What printer are you using and is it USB, Wireless or Ethernet connected ?

I am using:

Raspberry Pi OS with desktop
Release date: March 4th 2021

https://www.raspberrypi.org/software/op ... -os-32-bit

I am using a Raspberry Pi 4 with 4gb of ram, we bought a bunch of the canakits.

01grander

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:02 pm

mrlinux2u wrote:
I've had this happen when using certain websites (i.e. Sage Online Accounts) when running on my Pi 4 printing to a network printer, it doesn't always happen and re-starting the browser eventually fixes it.

However a quick google provides a possible (if not ideal) solution which will disable the print preview and hopefully stop Chromium from crashing when printing.

Cheers

Paul

Is that for the Pi OS? It looked like a Windows setting but I will have to take a look when I get at my desk.

01grander

Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:04 pm

01grander wrote:
Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:02 pm
mrlinux2u wrote:

Cheers

Paul

Is that for the Pi OS? It looked like a Windows setting but I will have to take a look when I get at my desk.

I did look at chrome://flags/#print-preview or chrome://flags but didn't see a print preview option, saw that on some older articles, not sure if they removed it.

mrlinux2u

Wed Apr 14, 2021 4:30 pm

chrome://flags/#print-preview appears to have been removed some time ago and when I tried with '--disable-print-preview' Chromium crashed when trying to print a page from Sage accounts.

After further searching it does look like this has been an on-going issue with Chrome/Chromium for quite a few years - see the link below as an example.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=google+chrome ... %22b%22%7D

FYI, the printing works as expected using Firefox so this does appear to be a Chrome/Chromium issue.

Return to “General discussion”