jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is not a replacement for a real PC, (as it doesn't have Skype) sorry!

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:32 pm

Here's a thought exercise for all of you.

The OP says that it cannot be a desktop PC because it has no Skype. This means that any device that does not have Skype installed cannot be a desktop PC.

My 'device that is a computer on a desktop` at home has no Skype installed. therefor by the OP's definition, it is not a desktop PC.

However, if I INSTALL Skype, it suddenly becomes a desktop PC.

If I UNINSTALL Skype, it suddenly isn't a desktop PC.

So one could argue it's the capability of being able to install Skype that make a device a desktop PC? What happens when MS no longer support Skype? Do all those machines that had the capability of installing Skype but not longer do, due to MS doing something, do they suddenly stop being desktop PC's

The above really makes no sense. Why is it Skype that says whether a device is a desktop PC or not? Why not a word processor, or a spreadsheet program? What about Photoshop? That doesn't run on the Pi. Or my desktop Linux machine at home.

I think it's fairly obvious that stating a specific program as defining whether something is a desktop PC or not is a completely stupid way of doing it, because everyone has a different view of what that program is.

So can people stop arguing about it?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bjtheone

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is not a replacement for a real PC, (as it doesn't have Skype) sorry!

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:43 pm

Unfortunately many people assume all electronics are appliances, like TVs or radios. Basically you turn them on and they work. It that world any phone or any computer should be capable for running any program or have any feature that they see anyone else using. I have meet people who chose phones and computers based on colour and then are upset when they discover their new shiny toy can't do whatever they expected it to. Part of the problem is that most electronics are magic black boxes to many folks. In that world assuming all computers run Skype is not a particularly wild assumption.

I used to be an area manager in a call center, and as such only dealt with the truly crazy folks (escalation path was tech, RS, team manager, area manager) and two of the standout calls were a very angry lady whose laptop WiFi did not work in the middle of the great lakes on the yacht, since it worked just fine in the marina and a wall street broker who was pissed about his desktop not working in a blackout, since his laptop and cell phone worked just fine. These both were senior folks who worked for large companies and yet they had absolutely no clue about how things worked and were pissed that my support folks were not fixing their issues. Had another person who demanded to return his laptop since it needed to be plugged in to charge.

jamesh

Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:53 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Unfortunately many people assume all electronics are appliances, like TVs or radios. Basically you turn them on and they work. It that world any phone or any computer should be capable for running any program or have any feature that they see anyone else using. I have meet people who chose phones and computers based on colour and then are upset when they discover their new shiny toy can't do whatever they expected it to. Part of the problem is that most electronics are magic black boxes to many folks. In that world assuming all computers run Skype is not a particularly wild assumption.

I used to be an area manager in a call center, and as such only dealt with the truly crazy folks (escalation path was tech, RS, team manager, area manager) and two of the standout calls were a very angry lady whose laptop WiFi did not work in the middle of the great lakes on the yacht, since it worked just fine in the marina and a wall street broker who was pissed about his desktop not working in a blackout, since his laptop and cell phone worked just fine. These both were senior folks who worked for large companies and yet they had absolutely no clue about how things worked and were pissed that my support folks were not fixing their issues. Had another person who demanded to return his laptop since it needed to be plugged in to charge.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSoYmQS6Ng
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

bls

Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:46 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: What do I look like? An idiot? :lol: :lol: :lol:

DougieLawson

Re: Raspberry Pi 4 is not a replacement for a real PC, sorry!

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:00 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 5:04 am
ShacharD wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:59 pm
...where everyone use skype for video chat...
Who is this "everyone" of which you speak?
Presumably, the exceedingly small subset of folks who can't work out how to install Microsoft's Skype on their cell phones.

The OP should be directing his complaint to Microsoft, if they want to dominate the instant messaging market (rather than Zuckerberg's Evil Empire) they need to support heterogenous platforms with their proprietary products.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

bjtheone

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:08 pm

and that why I now always start with an appropriately worded version of "is it turned on". When I was young and enthusiastic I invested hours trying to help my sister in law sort a modem problem out. External modem, one phone line. Of course we had to drop the "support call" every time she tested something. She was a very nice person, smart, but knew very little about computers. I was in university and had a business on the side building, selling and installing computers. Should have been a piece of cake. Hours in we had reinstalled drivers, setup things, tried stuff, reinstalled her old internal modem to test stuff, I had installed a similar model to verify settings, and nothing worked. Then I asked her about the status lights on the modem and was informed there were none... yup, her external modem's power brick was unplugged. I had asked her early in the process if it was turned on and got a fairly snarky version of "of course do you think I am an idiot". She had been flipping the on/off switch and never checked the power.

HawaiianPi

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:42 pm

bjtheone wrote:
Unfortunately many people assume all electronics are appliances, like TVs or radios.
It happens with TVs as well. I used to work for a company that built custom computers and home theater systems (we were integrating computers into entertainment systems long before Media PCs were a thing).

So one day a customer called and said he wanted to return his TV because it was "broken". When I asked what was wrong, he said the screen was showing a "no input" message. I tried to explain that someone in his home had changed the TV input source, and all he had to do was press the input button on the remote a few times until the picture returned.

The customer went on a rant about how it shouldn't be that complicated and demanded we fix it. I told him we could send a tech out to fix it, but he would be charged a service fee, and again tried to explain that all he had to do was press a button a few times, at which point he got very irate and demanded we send the tech immediately, then hung up on me. So we sent our tech and "fixed" the problem, and the customer got charged for the service.

As an aside, when the tech returned from the service visit I told him that the customer had called again to complain that the volume was too loud now. I was only kidding, but the look on the tech's face was priceless.

And now we return to our regularly scheduled topic:
Computers run software, but which software they run does not define whether or not they are computers, it only determines if a particular computer is or isn't suitable for your purpose.

The assertation that a desktop PC is defined by a single piece of software is absurd, as is the assumption that "everyone" uses Skype for video chat (especially in 2019, when there are so many alternatives that are arguably better). Unfortunately, this absurdity is only going to get worse, because smarter tech makes dumber people (which I believe is the point bjtheone was trying to make).

This is exactly why the Raspberry Pi was created. People were using computers, but had no idea what they were or how they worked. So I guess this is the OP's first lesson.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Moonmarch

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:06 pm

The software available for download in the Raspbian repository is based on software that is available in the Debian repository I do see Skype is available for Debian if you download the .deb package from the Skype website this file is actually not hosted in the Debian repository, if the program is not available for download in the Debian/Raspbian repository then the program will not be available to be installed on the RPI computer if you are using the usual approach to installing software which means using the apt command or some other software managing program.

You can't assume Skype has steep hardware requirements then assume the RPI computer cannot run the program, no instead no software developer compiled a version of Skype that runs on Debian ARM 32 bit, the .deb package that is available on the Skype website is compiled to run on x64 computers, who can forget run Microsoft software on a Windows PC instead of a Linux PC, run Linux software on a Linux PC.

RossDv8

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 pm

There's one Topic about the Pi 4 as a Desktop Computer, another Topic about Raspberry Pi 4 as a primary desktop computer (I haven't done an index search, but I bet there are more).

And there's 'this' Topic, which is the 'comic relief' thread. :D
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

W. H. Heydt

Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:55 pm

RossDv8 wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:14 pm
There's one Topic about the Pi 4 as a Desktop Computer, another Topic about Raspberry Pi 4 as a primary desktop computer (I haven't done an index search, but I bet there are more).

And there's 'this' Topic, which is the 'comic relief' thread. :D
There is also the "Skype on Pi4" thread.

Gavinmc42

Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 am

Eben started this because of the lack of coding experience CS students had coming into Uni.
It has been a Linux learning curve for me and probably anyone else who has bothered to learn this.
Then there are users who just want things to work and don't care.

It takes all sorts.
We should not be picking on people who want things just to work.
But again you want a new car to just work, expect to be very angry if it does not.
A $35 PC should get more wiggle room for expectations, but some people just don't see it that way.

"Comic relief" or just a way for us to vent?

Been reading Scott Adams - Dilbert Principles, a whole chapter on people like me :lol:
By about page 7 he says people are idiots with a few exceptional genius's who invent pointed sticks and wheels etc.
The basic decision processes we use for judging things are still emotive/instinctive, rational/logical decisions happen later, if ever.

When an OP goes on an emotive rant, we should make allowances and not jump back with our emotional responses.
The trouble is once an emotive decision is made, "rational" reasons are then made to back it up with "facts".
Just a sign of the times, this happens everywhere now.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 am

Removed the most trolling and nonsensical rant a poster (diogen151) made in this thread, it went into >/dev/null ;-) .

Skype does not a PC make... and only a Microsoft lackey who drank the Microsoft kool aid would claim so, just to mask that there are other video messaging systems out there that can replace Skype.

[some explanation why this hurts me so, and makes me so mad]
Microsoft using Skype as a weapon to keep newcomers from the market is disgusting me, sorry...

Users that believe that an OS isn't complete without Skype fall for this trap, and that double disgusts me....

if Microsoft want Skype to be universally accepted, it should open-source it.

jcyr

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:27 am

mahjongg wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:06 am
Removed the most trolling and nonsensical rant a poster (diogen151) made in this thread, it went into >/dev/null ;-) .

Skype does not a PC make... and only a Microsoft lackey who drank the Microsoft kool aid would claim so, just to mask that there are other video messaging systems out there that can replace Skype.
Would derogatory language like "Raspberry Pi Lackey" or drinking the "Pi Kool Aid" be tolerated here?
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

Gavinmc42

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:33 am

Wonder what rants would get a moderator upset?
Spoiling our entertainment?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

HawaiianPi

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:35 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:42 am
When an OP goes on an emotive rant, we should make allowances and not jump back with our emotional responses.
Depends on the rant. People often respond in kind, so if someone posts an emotional rant, they should expect a similar response (especially when the rant is pure nonsense).

There are better ways to handle disappointment or confusion about the use of a product than a broad declaration of incompetence. The OP came here looking for a fight, and they got one.

Also, people need to accept responsibility for their own actions. If the OP really did purchase a Raspberry Pi to use Skype video chat, well then, that's on them. They could have come here first and asked. Computer ignorance may be the norm nowadays, but that doesn't make it right.

Gavinmc42

Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:51 am

Computer ignorance may be the norm nowadays, but that doesn't make it right.
It's not just "Computer" ignorance, it seems to be everywhere.
The Pi forums are really well moderated, a thankless task for them.

For fun I watch the Fandom Menace YTers for a bigger picture of the entertainment world.
Is there an increase in people taking sticks and poking things just for a reaction?
Or have they always been there and we now only notice them because the net allows a wider audience and instant response?

AI programs that analyze twitter tweets can be used to forecast public opinion and elections.
Could these first time posters be analyzed for ways to moderate Pi expectations.
In hindsight would Eben have said "Desktop level of performance"?
It is getting so everything we say has to be analyzed to avoid upsetting someone.
(especially when the rant is pure nonsense).
They are the best entertainment :D
Not so much when it comes from a President :?
It seems to be everywhere, even here.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

HawaiianPi

Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:51 am
Is there an increase in people taking sticks and poking things just for a reaction?
Some men just want to watch the world burn...
Alfred Pennyworth, from The Dark Knight (Batman movie).

Or have they always been there and we now only notice them because the net allows a wider audience and instant response?
Probably, although the instant gratification and perceived anonymity of the Internet certainly hasn't helped.

AI programs that analyze twitter tweets can be used to forecast public opinion and elections.
Could these first time posters be analyzed for ways to moderate Pi expectations.
Sure, if you could somehow filter out the trolls.

Would that have made a difference?

It is getting so everything we say has to be analyzed to avoid upsetting someone.
No matter how carefully you word something, someone will find a way to be upset.

Not so much when it comes from a President :?
QFT :cry:

At least this thread did spark some interesting and entertaining conversation. :D Probably not what the OP intended... :P

jcyr

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:42 am
Would that have made a difference?
Probably not!

Not necessarily the case, but let's remember that Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd is a business and as for any business promoting its products one can expect a certain amount of marketing hyperbole.
It's um...uh...well it's kinda like...and it's got a bit of...

BenjaminF

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:41 am

Can I also complain about the RPI4 because it can't run Crysis? :P

Gavinmc42

Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 am

Can I also complain about the RPI4 because it can't run Crysis?

It can in the secret research lab :lol:
New Pi's have x86 co-processors?

Does a PC have to run Windows?
Would that be the expectation frorn PC users?
Linux PC users might have different expectations?
Desktop = Windows PC?
Pi4 = first "Non Windows" Desktop replacement for $35?
Pi4 = first "Linux" Desktop replacement for $35?

What percentage of Desktops run Linux/Windows/MacOS?
I'm dancing on Rainbows.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:21 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:51 am
Does a PC have to run Windows?
Would that be the expectation frorn PC users?
There have certainly been posts from people who fairly clearly expected to run Windows on various models of Pi. Plus all the people who seem to think that they can just shove an x86 .exe file onto a Pi and have it run as is.
Linux PC users might have different expectations?
I'd rate that as moderately likely. Anyone already running Linux on x86 hardware is going to be at least aware that "PC" doesn't mean MS Windows automatically.
What percentage of Desktops run Linux/Windows/MacOS?
I don't know what the current breakdown is. Macs peaked at about 10% of all "PCs", but I believe that number is down now. So at a rough guess, MacOS 6-8%, Linux 2-3%, MS Windows about 90%.

HawaiianPi

Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:41 am

jcyr wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:15 am
Not necessarily the case, but let's remember that Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd is a business and as for any business promoting its products one can expect a certain amount of marketing hyperbole.
But is it really marketing hyperbole? I think we've already established that the Pi4 is perfectly suitable as a desktop replacement for some here. So how many does it take before it's not hyperbole?

There are folks here who find the Pi3 perfectly acceptable as a desktop replacement, and the Pi4 is 2-3X faster with up to 4X the RAM. I could not use a Pi3 as a daily driver, and even find the Pi4 frustratingly slow. Does that mean it's not suitable for anyone, of course not. I could play devil's advocate and argue against the Pi3 or Pi4 as a desktop replacement (and have on occasion), but I also know my opinion is just that, and others are perfectly happy with a Pi3 or Pi4 desktop.

Which brings us back to:
A "Desktop Computer" is a microcomputer that sits on a desk, and a "PC" is a Personal Computer suitable for use by individuals. What they run or do not run does not change the definition. Technically a Pi Zero could be a "Desktop PC" and is, in fact, much faster than many older computers that fulfilled the role in the past. It's up to the individual to determine if a computer is suitable for their use.

So I don't think it's marketing hyperbole at all that the Pi 4B is suitable for use as a desktop replacement. It may not be suitable for everyone, but it certainly can fulfill that role for some (and perhaps even many, but that's a whole 'nother discussion).

LTolledo

Wed Dec 04, 2019 6:16 am

Starting from the RPi3B, its been a replacement PC for me!
the RPi systems are used about 97% at a time....(web browse, forums, picture editing, media playing, coding/microprocessor flashing, retro-gaming, etc)
the Win10 systems are used 2.5% at a time (mostly for Balena Etcher, and occasional online gaming)
the Mac system is used 0.5% at a time (mostly powering up to do system updates/upgrades only)

if the Balena Etcher Raspbian project is made available in the repositories... its one more task the W10 system looses.... :mrgreen:
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Imperf3kt

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:14 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:41 am
Technically a Pi Zero could be a "Desktop PC" and is, in fact, much faster than many older computers that fulfilled the role in the past. It's up to the individual to determine if a computer is suitable for their use.
Well, the Pi Zero is much faster than the Cray super computer from years past. "super computer", surely that surpasses desktop use right?
The Pi Zero is exponentially smaller, weighs a few hundred grams instead of 5 and a half tonnes, doesn't need its own dedicated power plant or room sized coolant system and costs $5, not $8 million USD.
55:55:44:44:4C
52:4C:52:42:41

RossDv8

Wed Dec 04, 2019 7:29 am

As far as I'm concerned, he could have got away with saying that about the Pi 4 with 4GB.
If I look 4 metres left of where I'm sitting I can see two 'real PCs' sitting on a desk, that have not been turned on at all since the Pi arrived. 2 metres in front of me, and about a metre and a half is my poor old Gigglebite Brix, that gets turned on when I remember I need to keep my inkjet nozzles clean, or booted up to print a document, because, quite frankly, the Raspberry Pi sucks at printing ( possibly because I can't get around the lack of drivers).

Another metre left of that is yet another desktop PC that has not been used in so long that I can't remember what version of Linux it might be running.

Thene there's a collections of l;aptops which would all work, but only one that I turn on occasionally - an ageing Acer 5313 that I used to keep aboard one of my yachts (when I lived aboard) and somehow it still runs. I turn it on out of curiosity a couple of times a year.

So what gets booted every morning to check email and do all my daily grind stuff?
My Raspberry Pi 4.

I throw the power switch, turn around and grab my coffee from the table, turn on my keyboard and by the time I'm seated, Raspbian is waiting ready to use. In a a lot less time than the Brix can bring up XFCE, and if I wanted the Brix to boot Plasma 5, I could turn it on and MAKE my coffee!

So the Pi 4 might not be a replacement for a real PC because it does not have Skype. But for me, sho doesn;t need Skype, it has far exceeded any hopes. I've said before if it wasn;t for the lack of printing ability (not the Pis fault) it would be completely replacing my 'real' Desktop PC.
Remember, nobody is listening to you
until you fart ...

Return to “General discussion”