Carstenlp

Help before i buy my first pi

Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Hi.
Im totally new to raspberry pi.

Im looking to buy 4b with 4gb ram and 32gb noobs card. Then im planning to buy a poe hat to put on it since i have switch with poe output. With a hdmi attached to my tv is that all i need to install kodi on it and use it as media server ? And do you know if its possible to control kodi from a smartphone or do i need a remote for it?

3rd. What i understand noobs is several operative systems. Wich one should i choose for this?
And finally: is it possible to have more installations on the card at the same time, so when i want to try out some small python scripts i can do it on a partition where i wont ruin my kodi installation?

Thanks.for all the help.cant wait to explore this world. 😊

/ Carsten

W. H. Heydt

Re: Help before i buy my first pi

Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:38 am

Carstenlp wrote:
3rd. What i understand noobs is several operative systems. Wich one should i choose for this?
NOOBS is an operating system installer and recovery/reinstallation system. As someone new to Pi, unless you have expertise in Linux that you haven't mentioned, you should almost certainly start with Raspbian.

LTolledo

Tue Dec 03, 2019 6:04 am

.... and read the pertinent docs as well....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

dustnbone

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:04 am

Yes you can control Kodi from a smartphone app, Yatse if my favorite for Android. You can also control it from a web interface with any browser if you enable that feature in the Kodi menu.

https://kodi.wiki/view/Remote_controls

If you're only planning to use the Pi as a media player, I'd recommend just skipping NOOBS and Raspbian and install LibreELEC instead. it's specifically designed to only run Kodi.

https://libreelec.tv/

You might need to plug in a keyboard just to do the initlal setup and enable access for remote control.

Also don't forget you'll need a micro HDMI cable/adapter for the Pi4, it doesn't have standard full size HDMI ports.

Carstenlp

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:46 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:38 am
Carstenlp wrote:
NOOBS is an operating system installer and recovery/reinstallation system. As someone new to Pi, unless you have expertise in Linux that you haven't mentioned, you should almost certainly start with Raspbian.
ahh okay. Thanks.
I got a little experience with linux, and want to get more, so it doesnt scare me to jump into linux

Carstenlp

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:52 am

dustnbone wrote:
Yes you can control Kodi from a smartphone app, Yatse if my favorite for Android. You can also control it from a web interface with any browser if you enable that feature in the Kodi menu.

If you're only planning to use the Pi as a media player, I'd recommend just skipping NOOBS and Raspbian and install LibreELEC instead. it's specifically designed to only run Kodi.

You might need to plug in a keyboard just to do the initlal setup and enable access for remote control.

Also don't forget you'll need a micro HDMI cable/adapter for the Pi4, it doesn't have standard full size HDMI ports.
Thanks. Firstly i want to use it for kodi. and after i want to play around with it. Hopefully on something seperatly, so i dont brake the kodi installation.

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:53 am

You won't needs NOOBS if you're an existing Linux user. Write an SDCard with plain Raspbian using dd or BalenaEtcher.

You can do that today before your RPi gets unwrapped on Dec 25th.

Recommended SDCard size is 16GB or larger. Buy a handful of those.

If you want to multi-boot then get a 32GB card and use PINN rather than NOOBS.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 am

Carstenlp wrote:
dustnbone wrote:

Thanks. Firstly i want to use it for kodi. and after i want to play around with it. Hopefully on something seperatly, so i dont brake the kodi installation.

Just install each Operating System to a separate SD Card !!
Retired disgracefully.....
This at present is my daily "computer" https://www.asus.com/us/Chrome-Devices/Chromebit-CS10/

Carstenlp

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:12 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 am
Carstenlp wrote:
dustnbone wrote:

Just install each Operating System to a separate SD Card !!
Was thinking that yes. Then 16gb cards should be enough. Not sure if price makes much difference though

Carstenlp

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:13 am

DougieLawson wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:53 am
You won't needs NOOBS if you're an existing Linux user. Write an SDCard with plain Raspbian using dd or BalenaEtcher.

You can do that today before your RPi gets unwrapped on Dec 25th.

Recommended SDCard size is 16GB or larger. Buy a handful of those.

If you want to multi-boot then get a 32GB card and use PINN rather than NOOBS.
Thanks. I will do that :)

LTolledo

Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:36 am

I have several installations of Raspbian (Stretch, Buster) + Kodi on several RPi boards (RPi1B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPi4B-4G, RPiZW)
those are controlled via smartphone using the app "Kore", available for android and IOS.
the smartphone and the Kodi installations need to be connected to the network (better if the same network).

1 smartphone with Kore can control multiple installations of Kodi on the network (well.... as long as you know the IP address of the Kodi device)
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Carstenlp

Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:01 am

LTolledo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 8:36 am
I have several installations of Raspbian (Stretch, Buster) + Kodi on several RPi boards (RPi1B, RPi3B, RPi3B+, RPi4B-4G, RPiZW)
those are controlled via smartphone using the app "Kore", available for android and IOS.
the smartphone and the Kodi installations need to be connected to the network (better if the same network).

1 smartphone with Kore can control multiple installations of Kodi on the network (well.... as long as you know the IP address of the Kodi device)
Cool. Thanks. Great it works for both, we have both android and ios in the house. :)

JumpZero

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am

Your TV remote control may be able to control Kodi.
Some work some others don't...

deepo

Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:57 am

JumpZero wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:46 am
Your TV remote control may be able to control Kodi.
Some work some others don't...
Others again can be sampled by LIRC.
That worked fine for me with an IR receiver and an older Apple TV remote.

/Mogens

Return to “General discussion”