sanjay Vishwakarma

How to Install Microsoft windows 10 operating systems ?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am

fruitoftheloom

Re: Raspberry PI 4 computer Model B

Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:07 am

sanjay Vishwakarma wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 7:46 am

There are various Windows 10 Editions and none are Officially Supported by Microsoft on the Raspberry Pi SBC.

There is an unofficial Windows on ARM project:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=233017
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: How to Install Microsoft windows 10 operating systems ?

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:26 am

You can't!

A raspberry PI doesn't use an intel/AMD (x86) processor, so you can't really install any real Windows Desktop OS on it, except when you emulate an x86 CPU with the PI's ARM CPU, but that would be extremely slow when you try, booting would take 15 minutes for example.

Microsoft has released something called Windows 10 for IOT, but its not windows as you know it, rather a simple kernel used for IOT (internet of things) solutions, running software developed on a real Windows desktop.

alphanumeric

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:29 am

Windows IoT will run on a raspberry Pi, and is officialy supported by Microsoft. I'm not sure if the Pi 4B is suported yet though, all I found is a link for a Pi 2 or 3. Just be advised, this is not the Windows 10 you might think it is. Its a very watered down version that bears little to no resemplence to the Windows you use on a PC
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downlo ... ?id=55029

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:31 am

alphanumeric wrote:
Windows IoT will run on a raspberry Pi, and is officialy supported by Microsoft. I'm not sure if the Pi 4B is suported yet though, all I found is a link for a Pi 2 or 3. Just be advised, this is not the Windows 10 you might think it is. Its a very watered down version that bears little to no resemplence to the Windows you use on a PC

Windows 10 IoT Core is not yet supported on the RPi 4B, hence my original statement !
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

alphanumeric

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:48 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:

Windows 10 IoT Core is not yet supported on the RPi 4B, hence my original statement !
This will sound like nit picking but thats not exactly what you said,
"There are various Windows 10 Editions and none are Officially Supported by Microsoft on the Raspberry Pi SBC."
Windows 10 Iot is supported on some Raspberry Pi SBC's. Just not the 4B as of yet. I'd think that is in the works.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am

alphanumeric wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:
alphanumeric wrote:

"There are various Windows 10 Editions and none are Officially Supported by Microsoft on the Raspberry Pi SBC."
Windows 10 Iot is supported on some Raspberry Pi SBC's. Just not the 4B as of yet. I'd think that is in the works.

Before a Mod changed the OP Post Title it stated

Raspberry PI 4 computer Model B
adieu

alphanumeric

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:00 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:53 am
alphanumeric wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:

Before a Mod changed the OP Post Title it stated

Raspberry PI 4 computer Model B
Just let it go already. All I was saying is there is an official version of Windows 10 that will run on a Raspberry Pi. It was just a FYI info post incase the OP (or somebody else reading this thread) might have another version Raspberry Pi. That was all. I even stated that the Pi 4B may not be supported yet.

hippy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:21 pm

mahjongg wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:26 am
You can't!

A raspberry PI doesn't use an intel/AMD (x86) processor, so you can't really install any real Windows Desktop OS on it, except when you emulate an x86 CPU with the PI's ARM CPU
Windows on ARM runs Windows 10 Desktop natively on ARM, only using emulation to execute X86 applications.

There have been a number of Proofs of Concept demonstrated of running Windows 10 Desktop on a Pi doing exactly that but I am unsure how far they have progressed. Installation is not straight forward, the results not always satisfactory, and licensing and legitimacy of doing it remains questionable -

https://www.tomshardware.co.uk/install- ... 34747.html

alphanumeric

Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:32 pm

Windows on Arm, on a Raspberry Pi, was a work in progress last time I had a look for it. And it was not anything even remotely official or anything sanctioned by Microsoft.
I could at one time legally download Windows 10 on Arm via my My Visual Studio Enterprise subscription. You had to go hunting for it to find it but it was there if you new where to look. My subscription has now run out so I no longer have access to it. I may still have it on my backup drive. I don't have the skills to ever get it working on a PI though, and I'm still not sure its legal for me to do it anyway. I'd have to check the terms of use etc.

jbudd

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:09 pm

"I can't find the download" and "I'm not sure it's legitimate for me to use it" (even if I paid for it).

Two excellent reasons to celebrate having a computer whose price didn't include a payment to Microsoft and won't run Windows as we know and love it.

Andyroo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:27 pm

alphanumeric wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 12:32 pm
Windows on Arm, on a Raspberry Pi, was a work in progress last time I had a look for it. And it was not anything even remotely official or anything sanctioned by Microsoft.
I could at one time legally download Windows 10 on Arm via my My Visual Studio Enterprise subscription. You had to go hunting for it to find it but it was there if you new where to look. My subscription has now run out so I no longer have access to it. I may still have it on my backup drive. I don't have the skills to ever get it working on a PI though, and I'm still not sure its legal for me to do it anyway. I'd have to check the terms of use etc.

It’s gone off the Windows Insider track when I last looked and the only note I could find on pi 4 support was from a MVP saying they may look at it.

To be honest the way 10S is slowing down the Pentium style thin books I’m not missing it or even bothering now wondering if it’s coming or not. I know some folk would like it but just imaging the impact on here with lots of ‘why does Adobe Photoshop’ not run style questions :roll: :lol:
Need Pi spray - these things are breeding in my house...

hippy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:28 pm

jamesh wrote: EVERY SINGLE BLOODY TIME this subject comes up, some OS dick who thinks they know something always starts slagging off Windows. DONT DO IT. Next time you will be banned. I use Linux EVERYWHERE and yet I do not feel the need to go all MS hatey. If you do, please keep it to yourself, and I'd suggest getting a life.

alphanumeric

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:30 pm

I could be wrong, but I do believe Windows 10 on Arm was only officially available to OEM's, via private channels. To be installed on supported devices etc. And they likely pay licensing fees to Microsoft.
That may have been the original source of what people are trying to use on the Raspberry Pi. Or maybe the Visual Studio subscription download. Microsoft MVP's, of which I was one, get a complimentary My Visual Studio Enterprise subscription (MSDN).
I don't think there is any Microsoft supplied general public download of Windows 10 on Arm.

alphanumeric

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:35 pm

As a Microsoft MVP, I tried 10s. Way to restrictive for my liking. I do believe its a free upgrade to Pro though, if you want. It was at one time.

I've given Windows 10 IoT a few test runs on a Raspberry Pi.. I just don't have the Visual studio skills to do anything productive with it. There isn't a whole lot that can be done with it right out of the box.

jbudd

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm

hippy wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:28 pm
jamesh wrote: EVERY SINGLE BLOODY TIME this subject comes up, some OS dick who thinks they know something always starts slagging off Windows. DONT DO IT. Next time you will be banned. I use Linux EVERYWHERE and yet I do not feel the need to go all MS hatey. If you do, please keep it to yourself, and I'd suggest getting a life.
Huh?

hippy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:43 pm

jbudd wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:38 pm
Huh?
It's just a reminder of what has been said in the past when installing Windows 10 Desktop on a Pi has been discussed.

Clicking the up-arrow link in the quote will take you to the original, and the thread which gives it context.
Last edited by hippy on Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LTolledo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:46 pm

the W10 as a usable "everyday desktop operating system" the OP is dreaming about for the RPi is not available now.... dont even know if it will ever be available in the next 5 years or so ....

so stop dreaming and use the OS readily available for the RPi boards :evil:

or if you still insist... get yourself a MS supported intel/AMD based board! :twisted:

if you still dont understand.... you'll never understand....ever....
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

Andyroo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 pm

Or do what I did and buy a cheap laptop running 10S (Lenovo 120s 4Gb £90 deal) and put the Pi desktop for pc on it and watch it get so much faster :D

fruitoftheloom

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:01 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:49 pm
Or do what I did and buy a cheap laptop running 10S (Lenovo 120s 4Gb £90 deal) and put the Pi desktop for pc on it and watch it get so much faster :D

https://www.ebuyer.com/882546-thomson-x ... o10a-2bk32
adieu

alphanumeric

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:32 pm

The Pi 4B might actually be powerful enough to run Windows 10 on Arm and not be a PITA to use. I don't see Microsoft being in any big hurry to officially port Windows 10 on Arm to it though. I inquired on the Microsoft Private Yammer group but never got any official replies from any body with Microsoft. Best guess is thats because it would compete with their IoT offering.

Andyroo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:48 pm

I struck lucky and got 4Gb but that’s effectively the same box. Not worth it for W10 but Linux is very very happy.

I do wonder if the lack of W10S is tied into internal ownership inside Microsoft esp after the RT mess and Windows everywhere promises?

Still struggling to see a use case of it on the Pi except for the very basic introduction to computers or in places where power and money are difficult to get.

Day to day use though is not good - you are adding a heavyweight operating system onto a constrained box and then looking to run heavy apps (e.g. anything with .NET).

Do not get me wrong, if the Pu could break the £300/400 barrier then great (I would buy one possibly three) but that’s not their market at this time (my words not theirs) but until the Linux stigma is overcome (and Chromebooks are still working on that) then this question will keep cropping up.

Maybe RPF/RPT need to approach Microsoft for a formal statement even if it’s a dodge that comes back (e.g. We have no plans in the next ‘x’ months)

hippy

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:10 pm

Andyroo wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 2:48 pm
Maybe RPF/RPT need to approach Microsoft for a formal statement even if it’s a dodge that comes back (e.g. We have no plans in the next ‘x’ months)
Microsoft are no more likely to comment on future plans than the RPF/RPT is. If they want something known they will make it known but otherwise will usually say nothing.

Andyroo

Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:16 pm

One can be optimistic once a day - and that’s my October 26th 2035 day used :lol:

I know there is very little to no chance but it would be nice and this thread is going nowhere as these do till they get locked (or I get a slapped wrist).

Return to “Off topic discussion”