toddrusel

Raspberry pi 3 B+ Flashing screen with random colours and borders

Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:51 pm

https://i.imgur.com/7gpcgq1.jpg

Hello, here is a image of what is going wrong with my Raspberry pi 3 B+.

I have tried everything I can think of except post here on the forums and ask for help.

I have tried: replacing the HDMI cables, the power supply (from the official 1) to a usb connected to my pc desktop, I have formatted + reinstalled multiple times and different OS's such as kali linux (with/without a firmware update from github), raspbian, noobs, I have tried searching my problem on forums as well as used their suggestions to configure the config.txt file.

I have tried different monitors and a tv, 1 monitor goes blank and every couple of seconds it would flash the image of what you see in the image. The image above is of my other monitor where it doesn't go blank but it does show that image and colours changing and brightness flashes.

I have checked if the pins were ok and yes they are, I have also tried seeing if I could use putty + find my pi + VNC viewer connected to my router to see if I could control it from there or maybe get a image but I can't connect to it. The connection constantly fails.

I am waiting for a new micro SD card to see if it might be that but I doubt it is... but what would I know as this is my first Raspberry pi ever.

I really hope there is a fix for this since I have been at this for 12 hours + now.

Thanks to all who read this and for any suggestions you may give and if it's broken well :( ill get a new 1 I guess.

pcmanbob

Re: Raspberry pi 3 B+ Flashing screen with random colours and borders

Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:47 pm

Hi.

You seem to have covered just about everything, the only thing I can suggest is to make sure your HDMI cable is plug in correctly at the pi end , especially if your pi is in a case, as I have seen strange affects on a monitor were the HDMI cable was not plugged all the way in at the pi end.
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

toddrusel

Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:56 am

@pcmanbob

Hello,

Thank you for the reply and just tried that now after reading your message and it still was the same sadly. I did make sure that the HDMI was plugged in firmly and still got what was shown in the image I previously posted.

Thanks for the help mate.

Gonna get a new 1 and hopefully it will work.

pcmanbob

Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:14 am

One last thing I would try is to download raspbian lite and flash that directly on to the SD card using etcher,

then see if that will boot your pi and produce a stable display .

It will only be a command line but its just another way to test your pi, if it works then try downloading a fresh copy of raspbian with desktop and try that.

aBUGSworstnightmare

Fri Jan 11, 2019 12:33 pm

Add 'config_hdmi_boost=x' to your config.txt From here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... t/video.md
config_hdmi_boost
Configures the signal strength of the HDMI interface. The default value is 0 and the maximum is 11.

The default value for the original Model B and A is 2. The default value for the Model B+ and all later models is 5.

If you are seeing HDMI issues (speckling, interference) then try 7. Very long HDMI cables may need up to 11, but values this high should not be used unless absolutely necessary.
You may also want to try to adjust the RPi output resolution to the one of your monitor. What you see could be a problem of wrong resolution (wrong EDID data).

So add below line to your config.txt.

Code: Select all

hdmi_force_hotplug=1
hdmi_ignore_edid=0xa5000080
config_hdmi_boost=x
hdmi_group=2
hdmi_mode=y
Refer to the table on the page linked above to find the correct value for x (start with 7, up to 11) and y (a supported resolution of your monitor; you may have several options).

toddrusel

Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:23 pm

@pcmanbob
@aBUGSworstnightmare

I have tried those options and went back over them to see if I missed anything and nothing works. I went from 7 - 11 on the config_hdmi_boost
I am convinced the Pi itself is faulty or else maybe just maybe it's the micro sd. I still need to try with another 1 to get the full answer. I would test a USB boot but I have none to spare/size for that attempt.

Thanks again for the help guys.

pcmanbob

Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:20 pm

One more thing you could try is to enable ssh by putting your SD card back in the pc and adding a file called ssh or ssh.txt.
then one your pi has booted see if you can log in via ssh from your pc, if you can then enable VNC and reboot and see if you can connect to VNC and see a desktop.

This would prove the pi & SD card are working and its either a bad HDMI output or a problem with the monitor/cable/settings.

Ebraheem Bambotia

Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:46 am

There could be 2 possibilities in my opinion : your Hdmi cable is damaged or a pin in the hdmi connector of your pi has snapped off. I can't think of any other possibility as you've already tried everything to no avail. You can try borrowing a pi from a friend and see if it works with your monitor and stuff if you're sure your pi is perfect

Return to “General discussion”