DarkPlatinum

Give my RPi 3 a life please

Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:56 pm

I have a spare RPi 3B lying around doing nothing. Couple o days ago it was mining verium until i found i was only making 1 pence per day. Ive looked around online and found many projects to do, but they almost all require buying something extra; camera, display, etc. Is there any projects that don't require a lot of money to do? I was going to do an alexa project, but it no use since you have to use a button, you are not allowed to use voice acivation. I alerady have a web server (Rpi 0 w)and a Front door camera. (RPi 2B) and a desktop (RPi 3B+). I dont need a media server or a game server as these require quite some bandwidth. As for a retrogame console, I alerady have a the OS on my RPi 3B+.

1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

Imperf3kt

Re: Give my RPi 3 a life please

Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm

I guess you could make one of the following. Some extra parts will be needed, but apart from "desktop use", that is unavoidable.

Alarm clock
Photo frame
Media player
Lots more

I'd do the alarm clock. You can make it fancy with nothing more than a small screen being required and maybe a cheap RTC module
Stop plugging your fan directly into the GPIO 5v
https://www.electronics-tutorials.ws/power/transient-suppression.html

W. H. Heydt

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:06 pm

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:21 pm
I'd do the alarm clock. You can make it fancy with nothing more than a small screen being required and maybe a cheap RTC module
You don't need an RTC. Let it do periodic time checks from NTP servers. One doesn't need a screen, either. On the other hand, a set of speakers is pretty useful if you're doing an alarm clock. My first cut at a Pi as an alarm clock ran for about three years without a screen. I added a screen this year to display the time and the metadata from the radio station I stream over the 'net.

Imperf3kt

Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:36 pm

Without a screen, how do you propose that know the time?, make changes, shut the system down? Sure, you can use SSH, but who here SSHs into a wristwatch to see the time?
The addition of a screen allows addition of other useful things like a calendar, media playback, scheduler, etc.
Adding an RTC is not necessary, but will allow the unit to operate without network reliance.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:23 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:36 pm
Without a screen, how do you propose that know the time?, make changes, shut the system down? Sure, you can use SSH, but who here SSHs into a wristwatch to see the time?
The addition of a screen allows addition of other useful things like a calendar, media playback, scheduler, etc.
Adding an RTC is not necessary, but will allow the unit to operate without network reliance.
To do the basic function of an alarm clock, you don't need to see the time. The alarm clock needs to know what time it is in order to function, but that doesn't imply the need to display it. Now I will grant that having a time display is *useful* (and I do that on mine), but it isn't necessary. I do use ssh to *set* the alarm times and it's darn sight easier than setting the time on my watch. Besides the time, the only thing I have on the display is an lxterminal window showing to metadata from the streaming service (and getting that working was the last--and, to me at least, trickiest--part of the whole set up).

I don't see an RTC as essential. If the internet connection is down, to Pis own time keeping is "good enough" for at least several days. That also presumes that your alarm choice of material is stored locally. I have built a second Pi-based alarm clock to take with me when I go to conventions. It does have an RTC as I can't be sure to get an internet connection away from home. It also has a flash drive attached with suitable material to play. And to change settings, I added a mini-keyboard with a built in trackball. (And, of course, a RPF 7" display.)

Since the OP objected to buying additional bits and bobs to do various projects, the very basic alarm clock only needs a network connection and a set of speakers...and you can find (for free) or pick up (for very little), a set of basic "computer" speakers.

fanoush

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:06 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
The alarm clock needs to know what time it is in order to function, but that doesn't imply the need to display it. Now I will grant that having a time display is *useful* (and I do that on mine), but it isn't necessary.
With just speakers you could also tell the time (speech, cuckoo clock). Also possibly triggered by some sensors (light? motion?) to avoid sound at night or when nobody is in a room.

Imperf3kt

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 am

I guess it comes down to not explaining myself properly/not using exact terminology.

In my opinion, the use of a Raspberry Pi3b as nothing but an alarm, is both overkill and a waste of electricity. Do more with it

I also never once stated an RTC is a requirement, just an optional addition - you can, after all, get them for less than 50cents, delivery included. Hardly going to be breaking the bank.
Handy if you take your Pi Clock somewhere that doesn't have internet.

jahboater

Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:18 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 am
In my opinion, the use of a Raspberry Pi3b as nothing but an alarm, is both overkill and a waste of electricity. Do more with it
You can always ssh or VNC into it and do other work.

I used the ZeroSeg display for a Pi Clock (but it does look better on a Pi Zero).

https://thepihut.com/products/zeroseg

Dead accurate of course, just using NTP.

itsmedoofer

Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:22 am

Hi,

My old Pi2 currently hosts a PVN server and gathers ADS-B data for Flight Radar, as a contributor you get a free business subscription to the FR24 services....(You can get a DVB-T dongle for a fiver on Fleabay)

If internet ads are a bugbear you can also pop Pi Hole on there too

https://www.flightradar24.com/raspberry-pi
http://www.pivpn.io/
https://pi-hole.net/

Regards,

k-pi

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 pm

File server (text based)
Internet radio (text based)
Music player (text based)
Picture frame (using a cheap/preused monitor)
Movie player (using a cheap/preused monitor)
Weather watcher/info (using a cheap/preused monitor)
Load it full of time wasting games (using a cheap/preused monitor)
Web kiosk (using a cheap/preused monitor)
:| :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:30 pm

Hmm. These ideas sound great. The Pi clock instead if an actual screen I could use one of those arduino LCD displays. But the thing my house does not have a lot of USB ports. Running a RPi3 over batteries won't last long. If there was a way to earn money doing something with the raspberry Pi (not selling it or mining) then that would be cool. My head can't really seem a use for it. ATM I'm trying to think up some ideas that will be useful for myself. Screens cost too much, a 3.5 inch display cost almost the same as the RPi.
1 * Raspberry Pi Zero W, 1 * Raspberry Pi 2, 1 * Raspberry Pi 3 1 * Raspberry Pi 3B + :mrgreen:

DarkPlatinum

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:36 pm

itsmedoofer wrote:
Hi,

My old Pi2 currently hosts a PVN server and gathers ADS-B data for Flight Radar, as a contributor you get a free business subscription to the FR24 services....(You can get a DVB-T dongle for a fiver on Fleabay)

Regards,
Does traffic pass through the RPi for the pi hole? Cause wouldn't you get worse internet speed due to router ---> RPi ----> devices?

pcmanbob

Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:55 pm

Does traffic pass through the RPi for the pi hole? Cause wouldn't you get worse internet speed due to router ---> RPi ----> devices?
The only traffic/data that passes through the pi when running a pi hole is the dns traffic, so if the dns look up is cached on the pi hole the look up occurs on the pi hole which is faster than the online dns, but if the dns look up is no cached on the pi hole and needs to be passed to the online dns there is a few milliseconds delay added to the look up, but I have found its not noticeable, and anyway most commonly used look ups are cached eventually anyway.

I have 100mb broadband with a gigabyte local network and the pi hole running on a pi2B
my pi hole reports
76.7% cached
20.7% forwarded
2.6% blocked
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

DarkPlatinum

Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:46 pm

pcmanbob wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:55 pm
The only traffic/data that passes through the pi when running a pi hole is the dns traffic, so if the dns look up is cached on the pi hole the look up occurs on the pi hole which is faster than the online dns, but if the dns look up is no cached on the pi hole and needs to be passed to the online dns there is a few milliseconds delay added to the look up, but I have found its not noticeable, and anyway most commonly used look ups are cached eventually anyway.

I have 100mb broadband with a gigabyte local network and the pi hole running on a pi2B
my pi hole reports
76.7% cached
20.7% forwarded
2.6% blocked
Cool! Ill add pihole to my list

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:18 pm

fanoush wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
The alarm clock needs to know what time it is in order to function, but that doesn't imply the need to display it. Now I will grant that having a time display is *useful* (and I do that on mine), but it isn't necessary.
With just speakers you could also tell the time (speech, cuckoo clock). Also possibly triggered by some sensors (light? motion?) to avoid sound at night or when nobody is in a room.
I've considered working up a way to have it make audible time notes using a "ship's bell" sound and pattern. You do have to have a decent sense of rough time to make sense of that, though.

DarkPlatinum

Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
fanoush wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:
I've considered working up a way to have it make audible time notes using a "ship's bell" sound and pattern. You do have to have a decent sense of rough time to make sense of that, though.
Why not implement a arduino LCD display into it? It would be cheaper then buying a screen and it can be programmed with Python. The sounds don't have to be interlinked witht the python program. As long as the sounds are present within seconds of the LCD display hours then it should be fine.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:45 am

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:37 pm
W. H. Heydt wrote:
fanoush wrote:

Why not implement a arduino LCD display into it? It would be cheaper then buying a screen and it can be programmed with Python. The sounds don't have to be interlinked witht the python program. As long as the sounds are present within seconds of the LCD display hours then it should be fine.
The current version of my alarm clock has an RPF 7" display, which I change the backlight for on schedule as well as starting and stopping the audio stream. The neat thing about ships bells, is that (a) you only have to count up to 8, and (b) if you know what "watch" it is, you get the time every half hour without even having to *see* a clock display.

DarkPlatinum

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:38 pm

Ok, I have two things on my list:

1. Flighttracker in my local area (I mean why not i get a free bussiness plan)
2. PiHole (Ad blocker)

feel free to make any suggestions (after reading through the comments if you haven't already :) )

itsmedoofer

Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 pm

DarkPlatinum wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:36 pm
itsmedoofer wrote:
Hi,

Regards,
To be honest I've not run PiHole, however I've believe it works by handing the DNS requests, not the actual traffic so the impact on speeds should be minimal if any..

Return to “General discussion”