rpiswag

Pixy Camera

Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:25 am

What do you the pi community think of the new Pixy Camera or it's real name the Pixy CMUcam5 Sensor?
A computer's power can't be just measured Gigahertz. It is the same thing with us humans.

RaTTuS

Re: Pixy Camera

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:43 am

dunno what is it ?
is it for RPi >?
is this the right place for this ?
what does it do ?

what do you think about my other project ?
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

DougieLawson

Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:59 am

I can't see it being a substitute for the PiCamera. It's an ideal camera for things like Arduinos that don't have a GPU.

The interface for the pixy is serial (or USB) so you instantly lose the PiCamera's direct connection to the GPU and at the same sort of price as a PiCamera the choice of which one to use with a Raspberry Pi is a "no-brainer" (as our American cousins would say).
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3Bs*3, 3B+

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

PiGraham

Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:37 am

DougieLawson wrote:I can't see it being a substitute for the PiCamera. It's an ideal camera for things like Arduinos that don't have a GPU.

The interface for the pixy is serial (or USB) so you instantly lose the PiCamera's direct connection to the GPU and at the same sort of price as a PiCamera the choice of which one to use with a Raspberry Pi is a "no-brainer" (as our American cousins would say).
That's technically accurate, but the point of the Pixy is that it has on board processing, so in a sense it has it's own 'GPU'.
Pixy addresses these problems by pairing a powerful dedicated processor with the image sensor. Pixy processes images from the image sensor and only sends the useful information (e.g. purple dinosaur detected at x=54, y=103) to your microcontroller. And it does this at frame rate (50 Hz).
It's a vision sensor rather than a camera. If you want images use a camera, if you want to sense things using vision a Pixy might be a good option.

I think Pi could probably match the 640 x 480 colour blob detection at 50 frames per second that Pixy claims.
Watch out for latency.
Pi possibly has a faster processor - 700+MHz Arm6 + VC4 GPU vs NXP LPC4330, 204 MHz, dual core.
Pixy come ready to go as a vision sensor, and is programmable. You have a bit more work to do on Pi.
Pixy has better interfaces for use as a microcontroller peripheral (Pi doesn't support i2c or SPI slave/device modes.
Given the prices - £50 Pixy (PiHut) vs Pi A + PiCam £30 I think Pi has a clear edge as a general purpose vision sensor. If Pixy does enough for your application out of the box it's worth considering..

gbyron

Sat Jan 31, 2015 7:49 pm

I hope by now the community has gained a better understanding of the incredible utility of the Pixy Camera. This thing will allow a Raspberry Pi based robot to detect and recognize objects via "vision".

PiGraham

Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:31 pm

gbyron wrote:I hope by now the community has gained a better understanding of the incredible utility of the Pixy Camera. This thing will allow a Raspberry Pi based robot to detect and recognize objects via "vision".
Well, Pi based robots are using vision already, and some vision on Pi is much more sophisticated than Pixy can do, but Pixy does make it easy to add simple vision.

Earlton2

Sun Mar 08, 2015 10:31 pm

One consideration being the simpler four wire interface which can use rugged external connectors and allow the camera head to move. I can see using it to hunt for a distant object by colour and then focus on it when closer.

theenggprojects

Thu Nov 19, 2015 2:16 am

PixyCamera is really an awesome board and it made image processing quite easy , I got it working by following this tutorial , quite impressive ....

Getting Started with Pixy Camera\
How to Install Pixy Camera Sofwre PixyMon
Upload Latest Firmware in Pixy Camera
How to Train Pixy Camera with Computer

You should also check The Engineering Projects because they have posted a lot of Arduino Projects and PIC Microcontroller Projects and have also designed many new Proteus Tutorials and C# Tutorial and MATLAB Projects and LabView Projects and Engineering Projects . I hope you guys are gonna like them.

victagayun

Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:52 am

PiGraham wrote:
gbyron wrote:I hope by now the community has gained a better understanding of the incredible utility of the Pixy Camera. This thing will allow a Raspberry Pi based robot to detect and recognize objects via "vision".
Well, Pi based robots are using vision already, and some vision on Pi is much more sophisticated than Pixy can do, but Pixy does make it easy to add simple vision.
I havent seen a similar project that can match Pixy finding a particular object and been able to pan/tilt the camera or even follow that object by moving the motors....

Gavinmc42

Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:59 am

BCM2835 on one side of PCB, image sensor on the other = Pixycam6?
Could even be made smaller due to the pop memory on the BCM2835.

It would run all Pi software too.
And because it would be smaller at Pi Zero's speed, ie 1GHz .

One day Zeros will be A35 based Aarch64 and the BCM2835's are freed up for this?
I can dream :)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

W. H. Heydt

Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:30 am

You do realize that this thread was necro'd from three years ago, I hope....
Gavinmc42 wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:59 am
One day Zeros will be A35 based Aarch64 and the BCM2835's are freed up for this?
I can dream :)
You may or may not be correct about what the future of the Pi0/Pi0W is, but I think it's odds on that if the BCM2835 is replaced with another SoC, the BCM2835 will simply go out of production. Consider what happened with the BCM2836, for example.
Last edited by W. H. Heydt on Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PiGraham

Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:42 am

victagayun wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:52 am
PiGraham wrote:
I havent seen a similar project that can match Pixy finding a particular object and been able to pan/tilt the camera or even follow that object by moving the motors....
Have you tried looking?

Search: raspberry tracking pan tilt

Search: raspbery follow object robot

Return to “General discussion”