Yammers

NAS

Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 am

I have been thinking about using a a Pi for a small Compact Nas storage device for my Plex media server the only thing that puts me off is that you can only one hard drive to it no room for expansion

Has anyone had any success in creating a Nas media server using the pi that allows for additional hard drives or is the add on board for the Pi that can do this?

Or will I be forced to go down the route of mini itx build. of it creating a cluster the way to go to.

fruitoftheloom

Re: NAS

Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm

Yammers wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 11:34 am
I have been thinking about using a a Pi for a small Compact Nas storage device for my Plex media server the only thing that puts me off is that you can only one hard drive to it no room for expansion

Has anyone had any success in creating a Nas media server using the pi that allows for additional hard drives or is the add on board for the Pi that can do this?

Or will I be forced to go down the route of mini itx build. of it creating a cluster the way to go to.

It should be "feasible" to have more than one USB Drive connected to a RPi....

https://www.element14.com/community/com ... berry-pi-3

How would Clustering help ? Plex Media Server is not compiled for "distributed computing"
Adieu

k-pi

Wed May 16, 2018 12:29 pm

Possibly use a powered USB hub. ;)

Roken

Wed May 16, 2018 7:32 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 12:01 pm
How would Clustering help ? Plex Media Server is not compiled for "distributed computing"
No, but you could cluster Pis with attached single drives for multiple NAS.
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

HawaiianPi

Wed May 16, 2018 8:31 pm

Not sure why you think you can only use one drive (did I miss something)?

The Raspberry Pi B+, 2B and 3B(+) models all have 4 USB 2.0 ports, and as long as the drives are self powered I see no reason you could not have 4 drives. With a USB hub you should be able to use even more.

Do keep in mind that the Pi SoC only has a single USB 2.0 interface, so more drives would only be useful for more storage. If you were thinking of multiple drives for improved performance that would not be very effective.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

PhatFil

Wed May 16, 2018 10:47 pm

I have a collection of 5 x hdds attached to a pi3 via a powered usb hub, the only mod to the hub was to snip the +5v pin on the usb-out from the hub so there is no chance of any voltage from the hub feeding the pi. The hub was purchased from a uk pi online supplier pihut or pimoroni which also advised the +5v mod?

the pi3 has its own 2.5a psu while the hub and hdds are supplied 5v and 12v from an ex pc psu.

Yammers

Fri May 18, 2018 12:50 pm

Report this postQuote
Wed May 16, 2018 11:47 pm

I have a collection of 5 x hdds attached to a pi3 via a powered usb hub, the only mod to the hub was to snip the +5v pin on the usb-out from the hub so there is no chance of any voltage from the hub feeding the pi. The hub was purchased from a uk pi online supplier pihut or pimoroni which also advised the +5v mod?

the pi3 has its own 2.5a psu while the hub and hdds are supplied 5v and 12v from an ex pc psu

Do you have any instructions on this and what are the streaming capabilities of it looking for something that will do at least x2 Streams HD maybe 4k for future proof

PhatFil

Fri May 18, 2018 9:28 pm

sorry no roadmap, i started using Openmediavault which worked although the control web interface was clunky at times. but it did simply work 'out of the box' so to speak. https://www.openmediavault.org/?page_id=77

But i wanted to host other services so i simply installed a new version of Jessie (at the time) onto a freshly formatted sd card, installed everything else (from Pete Scargills Infamous Christmas script ) And then also installed pihole.. Then i attempted to create simple samba shares to the root of each disk following a basic walkthrough, this was problomatic, But a quick hook up to my lappy and creatrion of a new folder 'ShareMe' on the root of each disk and moving everything into it resolved the problems i had following the 'how to samba share' walkthrough i was following.. .

Yammers

Mon May 21, 2018 9:52 pm

Cool if I can stream at least two movies off that setup id be intrested in using it.

Return to “General discussion”