SerPat

Simple Terminal

Sat Apr 14, 2018 12:56 am

Hello folks,
Ther's a long time, I used a simple but very usefull program on MS-Window that was permiting to send a line of characters on the seial output of the computer and display the character received, as answer, normaly. I used it to test the ATX commands of a modem.
The features of a Linux equivalent would be lauched from any shell. Then it would permit line edition and search in its one history like bash, and would send the composed line to the serial output, while permanently displaying the received char from that serial input. I guess that such a sinple program exists in the Linux world !
Can someone give some link(s) pointing such software, please ?
I thank the readers for the attention paid to this post.
SerPat

klricks

Re: Simple Terminal

Sat Apr 14, 2018 1:18 am

If you are asking about serial terminal software then minicom is the old standard.
Cutecom is a GUI based package. There are several others in the repository.

Do this:

Code: Select all

sudo apt update
After doing the above then install:

sudo apt install minicom

sudo apt install cutecom
Last edited by klricks on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated Raspbian Stretch w/ Desktop OS.

SerPat

Sat Apr 14, 2018 4:55 pm

Thank you Klricks for your reply.

I believe that "minicom" should do the trick since I will launch it from SSH.

In fact, I very beginner in RaspberryPi and beginner in Debian / Ubuntu, my desktop runs Open Suse. I acquired a RPi0 "just to see" and I am very excited. Now, I think that to try, the model equipped with Wifi would have been more judicious. I do not have (yet) Internet access through the single USB connection. So no "apt-get". I have to download the sources on my PC then cross-compile, then place / send the result on the micro-SD card, or install / send the sources on the micro-SD card and compile "on the spot" ... I hope that everything will be fine ! :-) If you have suggestions to make, do not hesitate!

Thank you very much.

scruss

Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:03 pm

other small options: screen, cu (from uucp), picocom, com, miniterm (part of pyserial), …
‘Remember the Golden Rule of Selling: “Do not resort to violence.”’ — McGlashan.

SerPat

Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:20 pm

Thank you Scruss for your answer.
I still not succeded compiling minicom, neither looking in the QEmu direction to prepare the SD-card fron my desktop computer. I am learning too slowly ! I mentioned that the pyserial was installed by NOOBS :

[email protected]:~/minicom-2.7# dpkg -l | grep "pyserial"
ii  python-serial                         3.2.1-1                              all          pyserial - module encapsulating access for the serial port
ii  python3-serial                        3.2.1-1                              all          pyserial - module encapsulating access for the serial port
Having a look at the pyserial documentation (http://pyserial.readthedocs.io/en/latest/examples.html), I tested :

[email protected]:~/minicom-2.7# miniterm.py

--- Available ports:
--- Enter port index or full name:
usage: miniterm.py [-h] [--parity {N,E,O,S,M}] [--rtscts] [--xonxoff]
                   [--rts RTS] [--dtr DTR] [--ask] [-e] [--encoding CODEC]
                   [-f NAME] [--eol {CR,LF,CRLF}] [--raw] [--exit-char NUM]
                   [--menu-char NUM] [-q] [--develop]
                   [port] [baudrate]
miniterm.py: error: port is not given
Every thing are OK for the moment. I have so many things to learn !
Thanks a lot.

SerPat

[Resolved] Simple Terminal

Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:42 pm

Hello,

Thank to Klricks, Scruss and viewtopic.php?f=32&t=210647.
My "/boot/cmdline.txt" is actualy :

dwc_otg.lpm_enable=0 console=tty1 root=/dev/mmcblk0p7 rootfstype=ext4 elevator=deadline fsck.repair=yes rootwait modules-load=dwc2,g_ether splash plymouth.ignore-serial-consoles
Note that there is no reference to serial0 ("console=serial0,115200" had been removed from the original text), and that the text "modules-load=dwc2,g_ether" is related to the communication through the USB port.

I added the line at the end of the file "/boot/config.txt"

enable_uart=1
to enable the embeded uart, and then : rebooted.

If you are confused with the names of the serial ports like I was :

[email protected]:~# ls -lh /dev/serial*
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 7 mars  18 20:11 /dev/serial0 -> ttyAMA0
Do the following, to disable any [unknown !] use of the serial port :

[email protected]:~# systemctl is-enabled hciuart ; # Displays the ability of the port, if used
[email protected]:~# systemctl stop hciuart ; # Stops the service
[email protected]:~# systemctl disable hciuart ; # Disables the service
[email protected]:~# systemctl status hciuart ; # Displays the serial port status
[email protected]:~# systemctl is-enabled hciuart ; # Display the ability of the port
disabled
Please note that the commands "systemctl stop ..." and "systemctl disable ..." (that is :those that are not simple repport commands) do not need to be re-entered at subsequents boot times.

Finaly, trying miniterm.py (https://helpmanual.io/help/miniterm.py/). Exit :<SUB> == ^Z == Ctrl+Z. == 0x1A == 26

[email protected]:~# miniterm.py --ask --eol CRLF --raw --exit-char 26 /dev/ttyAMA0 19200
--- Miniterm on /dev/ttyAMA0  19200,8,N,1 ---
--- Quit: Ctrl+Z | Menu: Ctrl+T | Help: Ctrl+T followed by Ctrl+H ---
at
OK
AT+CLBSCFG=0,1
+CLBSCFG: 0,1,""

OK
AT+GMM
SIMCOM_SIM800C

OK
AT+GMI
SIMCOM_Ltd