gordon77

Why do new forum members not come back?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:50 am

Have you noticed how a new user will ask a question but then they are never seen on that thread again even when they get answers?

Do they just get the answer and don't bother to acknowledge or have trouble finding the thread they started?

epoch1970

Re: Why do new forum members not come back?

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:26 am

I guess netiquette is something of the past, somewhat.
"S'il n'y a pas de solution, c'est qu'il n'y a pas de problème." Les Shadoks, J. Rouxel

ghans

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am

Thos forum does not send you EMails when someone of replies to your threads by default.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

SkyRise

Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:31 am

I think it's likely what Ghans alluded to above. That said, it's difficult to know without the OP's coming back to comment...

pcmanbob

Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:09 am

ghans wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 am
Thos forum does not send you EMails when someone of replies to your threads by default.

ghans
And even if you do request an email when you get a reply many people have found it does not work, it has never worked for me.

The one that has me puzzled is the person that got answers and replied and then once their problem was solved they when through and erased all of their posts because they could not delete their account ?
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help

gkreidl

Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am

pcmanbob wrote:
And even if you do request an email when you get a reply many people have found it does not work, it has never worked for me.
I'm using it for more than 5 years now and always get an email if someone posts into threads I have subscribed to.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

jahboater

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:33 am

Works for me 100% of the time too ....

texy
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:18 pm

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:25 am
pcmanbob wrote:
I'm using it for more than 5 years now and always get an email if someone posts into threads I have subscribed to.
Same here......
Various male/female 40- and 26-way GPIO header for sale here ( IDEAL FOR YOUR PiZero ):
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=147682#p971555

Douglas6

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:25 pm

I estimate that 90% of the posts I make go unacknowledged, usually by first-time posters. Why go through the trouble of registering an account and typing up a question, if you don't come back to check on replies, whether or not you get an email? (subscribing works 100% of the time for me as well.)

1. They are disgusted by the uselessness of my response, and check out.
2. They are thrilled with the usefulness of my response, and continue merrily with their project, not thinking that an acknowledgement would be appreciated.
3. They are just never that interested in a reply, and move on to something else.

I suspect #3 is the most likely, but I often fear #1 as a frequent occurrence.
Last edited by Douglas6 on Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PeterO

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:29 pm

It seems that many of them are impatient, if there hasn't been a reply in a few minutes/hours they assume there never will be a reply.

PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm

Douglas6 wrote:
I estimate that 90% of the posts I make go unacknowledged, usually by first-time posters. Why go through the trouble of registering an account and typing up a question, if you don't come back to check on replies, whether or not you get an email? (subscribing works 100% of the time for me as well.)

2. They are thrilled with the usefulness of my response, and continue merrily with their project, not thinking that an acknowledgement would be appreciated.
3. They are just never that interested in a reply, and move on to something else.

I suspect they have come back and checked the reply but unless they reply to the reply, you never know. The views counter doesn't help much there, but can give some indicator of popularity.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

W. H. Heydt

Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:06 pm

There's another category, on the dark side, for the behavior. That is trolls and spammers that make a single, reasonable post to clear moderation. The mods are so good that we don't generally see the outright troll/spam posts that follow.

Imperf3kt

Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 pm

Having previously moderated a forum and having insight into all the user statistics, I believe the correct reason is simply because first time forum goers simply cannot find their post again. Hell even I sometimes cannot find my posts without going through my profile post history.

Forums can be daunting for people unfamiliar with how they work.
If it hasn't got a white F on a blue background and like buttons, its too confusing.
Pi3b - 'normal use' temperature (25% CPU load) 76℃, ambient 21℃

asandford

Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:05 am

Douglas6 wrote:

You sell yourself short, your bluetooth knowledge and support is superb (not saying that you don't help on other topics, just that you seem to answer all my BT woes).

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:19 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
If it hasn't got a white F on a blue background and like buttons, its too confusing.
I have to presume that's a Facebook reference, but I don't know for sure as I've never used it. I can't argue with your overall thesis, though. In any case, I can't help wondering how well the average person would cope with usenet....

asandford

Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:27 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
In any case, I can't help wondering how well the average person would cope with usenet....
Or Fido (or any BBS) and CiX (back in the late 90's - Ameol was essential).

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:49 am

pcmanbob wrote:
The one that has me puzzled is the person that got answers and replied and then once their problem was solved they when through and erased all of their posts because they could not delete their account ?
Yes...that one was rather baffling. Plus he phrased it in a way that seemed to show a real chip on his shoulder. I really have no idea what was driving him.

Pithagoros

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
. In any case, I can't help wondering how well the average person would cope with usenet....
We know the answer to this, it's where the "eternal September" phrase came from.

i486

Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:45 am

Maybe they read the answers but there is no feedback from OP. Last Active time in profile may show this but s/he can read the answer without login.

PiGraham

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:16 am

i486 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:45 am
Maybe they read the answers but there is no feedback from OP. Last Active time in profile may show this but s/he can read the answer without login.
It would certainly be disappointing if replies were never even read but I think the "no feedback from OP" is the issue. Why is there no feedback from the OP? Why not even a "thanks"?
Do they just get the answer and don't bother to acknowledge or have trouble finding the thread they started?

RaTTuS

Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 am

asandford wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:27 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
In any case, I can't help wondering how well the average person would cope with usenet....
Or Fido (or any BBS) and CiX (back in the late 90's - Ameol was essential).
cix still lives [not sure how]
Ameol was just awesome
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

bensimmo

Fri Oct 13, 2017 11:58 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Having previously moderated a forum and having insight into all the user statistics, I believe the correct reason is simply because first time forum goers simply cannot find their post again. Hell even I sometimes cannot find my posts without going through my profile post history.

Forums can be daunting for people unfamiliar with how they work.
Facebook is terrible for finding anything and old posts, even in the Groups. It's nice for a chat over a few hours, but past that it's gone.

I would go for not finding the post as a problem.
There are no notifications here (Facebook, G+, whatever else is used now, etc) have them and for a good reason. You know if someone has replied, that one main important thing when you create a New Topic.

I Know on some forums they have introduced a 'like' button and made it obvious. It does cut down on replies but does let you know if something or anyone found it was useful. Of course it doesn't mean anyone has to use it.

Still there is a lot off fluff on this forum (users online, birthdays, the number of forums and lack of using the expanding section part to make it look tidy.
Hard task for the forum/website team though.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:39 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:28 am
W. H. Heydt wrote:
. In any case, I can't help wondering how well the average person would cope with usenet....
We know the answer to this, it's where the "eternal September" phrase came from.
Oh, yes! I remember that... When AOL opened up a gateway to usenet, it was roughly comparable.

i486

Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:13 pm

New feature of the forum can be added - every new comment can be automatically marked when the OP reloads the topic. Something like "your comment has been read by OP".

asandford

Sat Oct 14, 2017 12:46 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:23 am
Ameol was just awesome
This (and many other fora) need an offline reader. If the world went offline for a day, I suspect I could live with it (i waited for the cheapest phone rate to kick in before dialing up - and might have been days) . People born a few decades later than me might struggle.

Return to “General discussion”