that sweet pi

Help- Pi3 seems very slow.

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:19 am

Hello,

I recently bought a raspberry pi model 3 b, with a brand new Kingston SD card 16GB and the official power supply, and installed raspberian on it but I find my self being very disappointed with it speed I mean I can barely open a folder on the thing, please help.

I am currently following an IT education but since we need to learn Linux I thought to my self, I should get a pi to help me get some drive to actually learn Linux.

I have done some digging around but haven't found anything that helped me, so I'm hopping one of you may be able to help me.

I am still basically a Linux noob so go easy one me with the Linux command lines and all ;p

I hope to hear from all of you soon.

Greetings,

that sweet pi

jahboater

Re: Help

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 am

that sweet pi wrote:
I recently bought a Raspberry Pi model 3B, with a brand new Kingston SD card 16GB and the official power supply, and installed Raspbian on it but I find my self being very disappointed with it speed I mean I can barely open a folder on the thing, please help.
Could be any number of things.

Is your network good enough? a dodgy WiFi connection could be a problem.
If you can, connect it directly to the router with an ethernet cable to eliminate that.

Maybe the SD card is faulty and it keeps retrying reads.

Open a terminal, move around with cd and execute other simple commands and see what its like.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 am

that sweet pi wrote:
Hello,

I recently bought a raspberry pi model 3 b, with a brand new Kingston SD card 16GB and the official power supply, and installed raspberian on it but I find my self being very disappointed with it speed I mean I can barely open a folder on the thing, please help.

I am currently following an IT education but since we need to learn Linux I thought to my self, I should get a pi to help me get some drive to actually learn Linux.

I have done some digging around but haven't found anything that helped me, so I'm hopping one of you may be able to help me.

I am still basically a Linux noob so go easy one me with the Linux command lines and all ;p

Greetings,

that sweet pi
Please can you advise the part number of the Kingston SD Card.

The type of SD Card can make a difference on the speed of input / output, see:

https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC

that sweet pi

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:32 am

jahboater wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 am
that sweet pi wrote:
I recently bought a Raspberry Pi model 3B, with a brand new Kingston SD card 16GB and the official power supply, and installed Raspbian on it but I find my self being very disappointed with it speed I mean I can barely open a folder on the thing, please help.
Could be any number of things.

Is your network good enough? a dodgy WiFi connection could be a problem.
If you can, connect it directly to the router with an ethernet cable to eliminate that.

Maybe the SD card is faulty and it keeps retrying reads.

Open a terminal, move around with cd and execute other simple commands and see what its like.
[/q

Hey,

well i do have my pi connected to a cable that runs directly into our modem/router, and for as far as opening the terminal... yeah it almost refuses to do so, i shall look up some more info from my SD card, it was suggested to me by the store i bought it from but since my friend works there and he as wel as my self are compitend with pc's (he is a lot more competent with Linux then me) i trusted his choice for the SD card.

that sweet pi

Wed Sep 13, 2017 9:34 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:33 am
that sweet pi wrote:
Hello,

Greetings,

that sweet pi
Please can you advise the part number of the Kingston SD Card.

The type of SD Card can make a difference on the speed of input / output, see:

https://www.pidramble.com/wiki/benchmarks/microsd-cards
Hey,

Yes i know the type of SD card can make a difrence but it had a high enough transfer and read speed for as far as i could see, but i will re-check hopefully i can still find the box in with i got the SD card.

that sweet pi

Re: Help- Pi3 seems very slow.

Wed Sep 13, 2017 11:48 am

Hey people,

I looked my SD card up, its a class 10 Kington SD

Link to the SD http://www.kingston.com/en/flash/microsd_cards/sdc10g2

HawaiianPi

Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:08 pm

Slow is relative. Slow compared to what?

While the Pi3 is up to 10X faster than earlier models, it is not a fast computer compared to a typical Windows PC or Mac, or even a Chromebook.

The "Class" rating on an SD card is an indication of how well it will work in a camera, not a computer.

SD cards are just about the worse choice that could be made for an OS drive, because SD cards (and most USB flash drives as well) are optimised for sequential I/O, and much of what a computer does is non-sequential. Many so-called fast SD cards have terrible random I/O performance. I have found the Samsung EVO+ (EVO Plus) cards are the best bang for the buck do to superior random I/O performance. They cost a bit more than your typical bargain cards, but they aren't outrageously expensive, and they outperform many cards that cost significantly more.

All that being said, even with Raspbian on a Samsung EVO+ card you aren't going to get a "fast" computer, but it will be about as fast as a Raspberry Pi can be (you can overclock a Pi for a little more).
My password is the last 8 digits of Pi.

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:19 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:08 pm
Slow is relative. Slow compared to what?

While the Pi3 is up to 10X faster than earlier models, it is not a fast computer compared to a typical Windows PC or Mac, or even a Chromebook.

The "Class" rating on an SD card is an indication of how well it will work in a camera, not a computer.

SD cards are just about the worse choice that could be made for an OS drive, because SD cards (and most USB flash drives as well) are optimised for sequential I/O, and much of what a computer does is non-sequential. Many so-called fast SD cards have terrible random I/O performance. I have found the Samsung EVO+ (EVO Plus) cards are the best bang for the buck do to superior random I/O performance. They cost a bit more than your typical bargain cards, but they aren't outrageously expensive, and they outperform many cards that cost significantly more.

All that being said, even with Raspbian on a Samsung EVO+ card you aren't going to get a "fast" computer, but it will be about as fast as a Raspberry Pi can be (you can overclock a Pi for a little more).

Thank you,

but you see i didn't expect that my raspberry pi was going to out preform my windows desktop or laptop not by a long shot, but when i tried to open a simple USB, it was stuck there for like half an hour (wouldn't even open it stayed stuck). and when i tried to even open a tekst editor, it was just as slow, so i got a bit suspicious when it took longer than half a hour to open up a file that was on the USB that i plugged into my pi, so i was thinking maybe just install another very light weight Linux, like maybe Ubuntu mate or Ubuntu core maybe i will have more luck with those and otherwise i will just make a VPN out of my pi, but I'd much rather use it for school to do some small tekst editing or at least study command lines with it.

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:23 am

I still have a lot to learn when it comes to Linux and even more when it comes to the Pi,

so please be as clear as you can be, so i may understand everything :)

Your help is being very much appreciated, if any of you also have a nice idee or concept that I could do with my pi I'd be happy to hear it.

hmm, could it be that i simply put the resolution scale to high... it just dawned on me that, that might very well be one of the problems..

anyway thank you again

RaTTuS

Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:33 am

what is a simple USB ?
how is it formatted ?
are you running the latest version of raspian
do you have a [monitor and keyboard hooked up to the PI
what are you using to edit
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

HawaiianPi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 am

Raspbian is actually the most optimized OS for the Pi. I doubt you will find anything faster.

However, what you described is definitely not typical for any Pi, much less a Pi3. I have no trouble accessing USB flash drives or USB hard drives. While my Pi3 isn't as snappy as my i7 notebook when opening a text file, it certainly doesn't take half an hour (more like a few seconds more than my notebook, depending on the file size).

Something is definitely screwy with your system.

I have been hearing some complaints that the newest Raspbian Stretch release has some teething problems, so you might want to give the previous Raspbian Jessie a try to see if that performs any differently for you.

Raspbian Jessie with Desktop: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/
Raspbian Jessie Lite (no GUI): http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/

Assuming you want the full desktop/GUI version, download 2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie.zip from the link above and use Etcher to write it to your SD card. No need to format the card or even extract the image from the Zip archive before writing it with Etcher.

If you have trouble writing the image, verify the download with the published sha256 checksum from the download page. There is a nice little Windows shell extension called HashCheck that adds a checksums tab to file properties which you can use to verify the downloaded file.

When Etcher has successfully written and verified the card it will safely eject it. If you are using your Pi3 with a keyboard, mouse and monitor, the card is ready to go. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

If you want to connect via SSH, or have your Pi3 automatically connect to your wireless network, read on...

Unplug the card or card reader and plug it back in so your computer will see the small FAT32 formatted boot partition.

To enable SSH create an empty file named "ssh" or "ssh.txt" on the small FAT32 boot partition of the SD card.

To connect to a wireless router create another file called "wpa_supplicant.conf" which contains the following info.

Code: Select all

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
	ssid="Your network SSID"
	psk="Your WPA/WPA2 security key"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Edit the country code, SSID and the WPA/WPA2 key with the info you need to connect to your wireless network.

If you are using an ethernet cable to connect to your router you can skip that second file.

Safely eject the card from your computer and use it to boot the Raspberry Pi. If you created the "ssh" file Raspbian will enable SSH and delete the file. If you created the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file Raspbian will move it to the correct location and connect to your router.

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:03 am

RaTTuS wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:33 am
what is a simple USB ?
how is it formatted ?
are you running the latest version of raspian
do you have a [monitor and keyboard hooked up to the PI
what are you using to edit
I indeed hooked it up to a monitor, keyboard and mouse,
as far as the usb goes, i might not have formatted it right now that i think about it, but shouldn't it just give me a error then? also it is a SanDisk 16Gb USB and yes i was running the latest version of Raspberian. (at least it is the latest version to my knowledge)

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:17 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 8:12 am
Raspbian is actually the most optimized OS for the Pi. I doubt you will find anything faster.

However, what you described is definitely not typical for any Pi, much less a Pi3. I have no trouble accessing USB flash drives or USB hard drives. While my Pi3 isn't as snappy as my i7 notebook when opening a text file, it certainly doesn't take half an hour (more like a few seconds more than my notebook, depending on the file size).

Something is definitely screwy with your system.

I have been hearing some complaints that the newest Raspbian Stretch release has some teething problems, so you might want to give the previous Raspbian Jessie a try to see if that performs any differently for you.

Raspbian Jessie with Desktop: http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/
Raspbian Jessie Lite (no GUI): http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbi ... 017-07-05/

Assuming you want the full desktop/GUI version, download 2017-07-05-raspbian-jessie.zip from the link above and use Etcher to write it to your SD card. No need to format the card or even extract the image from the Zip archive before writing it with Etcher.

If you have trouble writing the image, verify the download with the published sha256 checksum from the download page. There is a nice little Windows shell extension called HashCheck that adds a checksums tab to file properties which you can use to verify the downloaded file.

When Etcher has successfully written and verified the card it will safely eject it. If you are using your Pi3 with a keyboard, mouse and monitor, the card is ready to go. Give it a try and let us know how it works.

If you want to connect via SSH, or have your Pi3 automatically connect to your wireless network, read on...

Unplug the card or card reader and plug it back in so your computer will see the small FAT32 formatted boot partition.

To enable SSH create an empty file named "ssh" or "ssh.txt" on the small FAT32 boot partition of the SD card.

To connect to a wireless router create another file called "wpa_supplicant.conf" which contains the following info.

ctrl_interface=DIR=/var/run/wpa_supplicant GROUP=netdev
update_config=1
country=US

network={
	ssid="Your network SSID"
	psk="Your WPA/WPA2 security key"
	key_mgmt=WPA-PSK
}
Edit the country code, SSID and the WPA/WPA2 key with the info you need to connect to your wireless network.

If you are using an ethernet cable to connect to your router you can skip that second file.

Safely eject the card from your computer and use it to boot the Raspberry Pi. If you created the "ssh" file Raspbian will enable SSH and delete the file. If you created the "wpa_supplicant.conf" file Raspbian will move it to the correct location and connect to your router.

Hey,

Thanks for the useful information, i will definitely contact you about strapping my pi to my network that is if you don't mind of course.

also i have noticed something very strange about my SD card, you see when i got it new it said 16GB after installing raspberian it had less but then it was all slow so i formatted my SD card, and give it a reinstall but now my SD card only has 14.5 GB free and believe me i have formatted it, i did a quick format, a normal format, hell i even went into disk manager cleared all the partitions on it and combined them but it still only has 14,5 GB mabby the controller inside the SD card broke or something, or its just a faulty SD card.

either way, thanks for the help until now, I will do some more looking around when i get home.

rpdom

Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 am

It is quite normal for your card to show less than the advertised capacity. For one thing the size printed on the packaging is a maximum possible size, not the actual usable size. Also it is shown in units of 1000, not 1024 as df and other commands show by default. So 16,000,000,000 bytes is 16GB in manufacturers terms, but 14.9GB (or GiBi as some people write it) in computer terms. Also a small amount is used by the /boot partition (less than 100MB).

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 11:24 am

rpdom wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 10:33 am
It is quite normal for your card to show less than the advertised capacity. For one thing the size printed on the packaging is a maximum possible size, not the actual usable size. Also it is shown in units of 1000, not 1024 as df and other commands show by default. So 16,000,000,000 bytes is 16GB in manufacturers terms, but 14.9GB (or GiBi as some people write it) in computer terms. Also a small amount is used by the /boot partition (less than 100MB).
Hello,

I know that it can be less than advertised for example a 1TB HDD isn't really gonna have 1000GB but more like 930GB, but if that where the case it wouldn't bother me that much what bothers me is that it did show 16Gb when i first plugged it in and i removed and re plugged it a couple of times in my pc and it showed 16GB and now after having first installed Raspberian and later having formatted and dubbel checked, it only shows 14,5 GB. So this seems suspicious to me

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:06 pm

Also i am sorry for any delayed responses,
i am just very busy these days, but i am very grateful towards all the help
you give me :)

rpdom

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:12 pm

Ok, can you show the output from these commands on your Pi

sudo fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0
df -H

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 12:30 pm

Before i can do any of that i will first need to reinstall a Linux version on that.

Also uhm i have tried to format my SD card on my laptop but it said it was protected against writing, but i haven't installed any security on it (at least for as far as i know) maybe windows did some automatic security or the previous Linux version did.

What output will it show me? I'm sorry but i don't think I'm following you correctly,
I am still not very well versed in everything concerning IT I'm just a 1st year student :P

Also what operating system next to raspberian would you suggest?

rpdom

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:25 pm

The output I would expect from the commands is something like (I'm using an 8GB card here)

pi@raspi8:~ $ sudo fdisk -l /dev/mmcblk0

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 7.2 GiB, 7744782336 bytes, 15126528 sectors
Units: sectors of 1 * 512 = 512 bytes
Sector size (logical/physical): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
I/O size (minimum/optimal): 512 bytes / 512 bytes
Disklabel type: dos
Disk identifier: 0x6fcf21f3

Device         Boot  Start      End  Sectors  Size Id Type
/dev/mmcblk0p1        8192   137215   129024   63M  c W95 FAT32 (LBA)
/dev/mmcblk0p2      137216 15126527 14989312  7.2G 83 Linux
and

pi@raspi8:~ $ df -H /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.6G  1.7G  5.5G  24% /
(Just df -H / because it shows the most important bits)

That is showing that 7.6G is the size of my root partition (in 1000s or 7.1GB in 1024 units) from my allegedly 8GB card. A few MB are used for the boot partition.

Just to show the difference in the units used, here is df -h / output

pi@raspi8:~ $ df -h /
Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/root       7.1G  1.6G  5.1G  24% /

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:34 pm

that sweet pi wrote:
Before i can do any of that i will first need to reinstall a Linux version on that.

Also uhm i have tried to format my SD card on my laptop but it said it was protected against writing, but i haven't installed any security on it (at least for as far as i know) maybe windows did some automatic security or the previous Linux version did.

What output will it show me? I'm sorry but i don't think I'm following you correctly,
I am still not very well versed in everything concerning IT I'm just a 1st year student :P

You should just use the latest version of Raspbian - that's the best one. Download the standard image (not NOOBS) and use the Etcher software to install it on your SD card. The docs have the exact process.

Start it up, follow the instructions if any come up.

This should result in a standard system that should be quite fast.

If not, then there is something wrong. I wouldn't expect the SD card to be so slow as to make the system unusable, whatever make it is, unless it is defective.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

that sweet pi

Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:57 pm

jamesh wrote:
that sweet pi wrote:

You should just use the latest version of Raspbian - that's the best one. Download the standard image (not NOOBS) and use the Etcher software to install it on your SD card. The docs have the exact process.

If not, then there is something wrong. I wouldn't expect the SD card to be so slow as to make the system unusable, whatever make it is, unless it is defective.
Hey,

Thanks a lot for your reply,
what do you think that might be screwing it up?

or is it just that i am forgetting a step?
also i have indeed used NOOBS for the installs, is there something
about NOOBS that might have had some influence over the performance? I thought it was just a "installer" for the operating system.

Thanks once again

jamesh

Thu Sep 14, 2017 9:05 pm

that sweet pi wrote:
Thu Sep 14, 2017 1:57 pm
jamesh wrote:
that sweet pi wrote:

Hey,

Thanks a lot for your reply,
what do you think that might be screwing it up?

or is it just that i am forgetting a step?
also i have indeed used NOOBS for the installs, is there something
about NOOBS that might have had some influence over the performance? I thought it was just a "installer" for the operating system.

Thanks once again
No idea yet. Get the base system installed as per our usual instructions, then we can move on from there to diagnostics.

HawaiianPi

Fri Sep 15, 2017 2:09 am

Yes, NOOBS is a middle man installer for Raspbian and a few other OS options. To me it just seems like an extra unnecessary step and wasted space on the SD card. It does have the advantage of easily installing more than one OS, but if you don't need to do that, I'd just use the Raspbian image and Etcher.

With Etcher and a Raspbian image there is no need to extract anything from the archive or format the SD card. Just download the image and write. And with the simple addition of a couple of files you can enable SSH and connect to your wireless network for a truly headless system boot.

However, there should not be any significant performance difference between Raspbian installed by NOOBS and Raspbian installed by writing an image with Etcher. The latter is more space efficient because you don't need the 3rd partition for all the NOOBS data, but other than that they should basically be the same.

that sweet pi

Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:46 am

HawaiianPi wrote:
Yes, NOOBS is a middle man installer for Raspbian and a few other OS options. To me it just seems like an extra unnecessary step and wasted space on the SD card. It does have the advantage of easily installing more than one OS, but if you don't need to do that, I'd just use the Raspbian image and Etcher.

With Etcher and a Raspbian image there is no need to extract anything from the archive or format the SD card. Just download the image and write. And with the simple addition of a couple of files you can enable SSH and connect to your wireless network for a truly headless system boot.

However, there should not be any significant performance difference between Raspbian installed by NOOBS and Raspbian installed by writing an image with Etcher. The latter is more space efficient because you don't need the 3rd partition for all the NOOBS data, but other than that they should basically be the same.
Thank you,

also something i have noticed is that "Etcher" gives my SD card a space of 15.6GB, but windows says its only 14.5, so i think it is safe to assume that windows is just being a bit buggy or handicapt if you will excuse my languish, i will write that version of raspberian to the pi as soon as i have the time yester day i wrote Ubuntu core to the SD with Etcher because it took so "long" (I'm not the most patient person) to download raspberian.

But i was to tired to test it out, but i will just format the disk again to write raspberian to it. once i have enough understanding of Linux i think i will try to make a operating system.

But knowing that is gonna consume a hell of time and knowing that all of that time is gonna be a pain, I will wait with doing that for at least another year XD

i think i should first start with the basic commands and then try to modify my GUI via the command line, start studying C# or C++

But first i will try to get my pi in working order before i even begin thinking of that.

jamesh

Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:03 am

that sweet pi wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 7:46 am
HawaiianPi wrote:

Thank you,

also something i have noticed is that "Etcher" gives my SD card a space of 15.6GB, but windows says its only 14.5, so i think it is safe to assume that windows is just being a bit buggy or handicapt if you will excuse my languish, i will write that version of raspberian to the pi as soon as i have the time yester day i wrote Ubuntu core to the SD with Etcher because it took so "long" (I'm not the most patient person) to download raspberian.

But i was to tired to test it out, but i will just format the disk again to write raspberian to it. once i have enough understanding of Linux i think i will try to make a operating system.

But knowing that is gonna consume a hell of time and knowing that all of that time is gonna be a pain, I will wait with doing that for at least another year XD

i think i should first start with the basic commands and then try to modify my GUI via the command line, start studying C# or C++

But first i will try to get my pi in working order before i even begin thinking of that.
You don't need to format. Etcher will overwrite the whole SD card with the Raspbian image, and that in effect does the formatting for you.

So card in slot/reader, run etcher, select image, write image. Put in Pi, boot.

Return to “General discussion”