Mandrewpi

Duct Tape

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:00 pm

Where im from duct tape can be used for anything (our county fair rides are literally held together with duct tape and zip ties) so Is anybody else like me and duct tapes their pi (in a case of course) to the back of their monitor
A computer is only as smart as its programmer. ;)

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.
I'm known elsewhere as mandrew1444

joan

Re: Duct Tape

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:17 pm

People use duct tape until they discover hook and loop tape.

Ravenous

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:37 pm

Gaffer tape is permanent; Hook and loop tape is just for the indecisive :)

Lots of mythical musician's jokes about the uses for gaffer tape - repairing guitar cases, repairing the van, or restraining the audience to prevent them from walking out! :lol:

aTao

Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:52 pm

Beware silver gaffer, its conductive
>)))'><'(((<

joan

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:01 pm

Ravenous wrote:Gaffer tape is permanent; Hook and loop tape is just for the indecisive :)
Ummh, I used to think that, now I'm not so sure.

Ravenous

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:11 pm

joan wrote:now I'm not so sure.
Left myself wide open to that one :lol:

Cheapest rear monitor mount I have (for an old mini-ITX motherboard, not a raspi) is: the board, disk and wiring held between two sheets of modeller's plywood with bolts and PCB spacers. Then the whole thing bolted to the four mounting holes on the back of the monitor. I think a raspi would be OK like that even without a case.

Mandrewpi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 3:15 pm

Im sure duct tape is cheaper and easier to find where im from :D

I own:
Pi B rev.2, Pi 2 B, Two Pi 3 B, Two Pi 3 b+, Pi 4 2Gb, Pi Zero 1.2, Pi Zero 1.3, Two Pi Zero Ws.

DougieLawson

Tue Dec 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Just remember duct tape is The Force. It has a darkside and a light side and it holds the Universe together.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

emgi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 6:11 pm

Duct tape is great stuff.
Ideal to fix your camera on any particular point of interest. 8-)

/emgi

DirkS

Tue Dec 30, 2014 7:00 pm

DougieLawson wrote:Just remember duct tape is The Force. It has a darkside and a light side and it holds the Universe together.
The Universe maybe, but the Great British Countryside is held together by baler twine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baling_twine)

Mandrewpi

Tue Dec 30, 2014 9:32 pm

Duct tape also comes in many many colors

I own:

aTao

Wed Dec 31, 2014 5:05 pm

DirkS wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:Just remember duct tape is The Force. It has a darkside and a light side and it holds the Universe together.
The Universe maybe, but the Great British Countryside is held together by baler twine (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baling_twine)
+ lots, got a pocket full of it me self, never go out* without baler twine and a knife

*On a farm/ croft/ small holding
>)))'><'(((<

BMS Doug

Wed Dec 31, 2014 10:56 pm

aTao wrote:
DirkS wrote:
+ lots, got a pocket full of it me self, never go out* without baler twine and a knife

*On a farm/ croft/ small holding
The city dwellers amongst us need the duct tape though, we get into trouble if we carry the knives....

....which is untrue, I have several knives I just don't take them out on the streets anymore. Kind of irritating to have a realy good multi-tool sitting on the shelf at home but I don't want to leave it at work and carrying between work and home would be frowned upon.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

W. H. Heydt

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:05 pm

BMS Doug wrote: The city dwellers amongst us need the duct tape though, we get into trouble if we carry the knives....

....which is untrue, I have several knives I just don't take them out on the streets anymore. Kind of irritating to have a realy good multi-tool sitting on the shelf at home but I don't want to leave it at work and carrying between work and home would be frowned upon.
I wear shirts that are designed not to be tucked in. They cover up all manner of things on my belt, including a multitool.

BMS Doug

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:19 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
BMS Doug wrote: The city dwellers amongst us need the duct tape though, we get into trouble if we carry the knives....

I wear shirts that are designed not to be tucked in. They cover up all manner of things on my belt, including a multitool.

Mmm, one of my colleagues has been spoken to by the police for having screwdrivers in his pocket when going to the shops during his lunch break...
Not an official warning but a definate "please don't do it", a multitool would be likely to get a more serious result, if they noticed it, a stanley knife or lock-knife even more so.
Doug.

Mandrewpi

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:31 pm

Here in the south we live in the woods with no cops only game wardens and nothings illegal (except illegal substances to most of us) until you get caught and the nearest town is a half hour away so we carry guns knives or whatever.

I own:

Mandrewpi

Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:32 pm

Here in the south we live in the woods with no cops only game wardens and nothings illegal (except illegal substances to most of us) until you get caught and the nearest town is a half hour away so we carry guns knives or whatever.

I own:

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 01, 2015 12:29 am

BMS Doug wrote: Mmm, one of my colleagues has been spoken to by the police for having screwdrivers in his pocket when going to the shops during his lunch break...
Not an official warning but a definate "please don't do it", a multitool would be likely to get a more serious result, if they noticed it, a stanley knife or lock-knife even more so.
It's all down to the length of the blade.
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/198 ... ve-weapons
less than 3 inches and you're OK.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Mandrewpi

Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:53 am

One type of tape that is better than duct tape would be gorilla tape that stuff will stick to water

I own:

Burngate

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:56 am

BMS Doug wrote:... been spoken to by the police for having screwdrivers in his pocket when going to the shops during his lunch break...
Years ago, emergency at Ayr race course, grabbed my toolbag and rushed off to Heathrow.
Check-in: "You can't take that in the cabin. It'll have to go in the hold."
Emergency over, back to Prestwick.
Check-in: "You can't put that in the hold. You'll have to take it as hand-luggage."
:?:

DougieLawson

Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:59 am

You should have seen the struggle I had with a Louisville Slugger in hand luggage on American at JFK. This was long before 11th Sept 2001.

Mark_T

Thu Jan 01, 2015 7:33 pm

One gaffer tape to bind them all..

If you want a nice categorisation of several kinds of gaffer / duct tape, the Canford site
is the place to go:
http://www.canford.co.uk/Products/52-30 ... eel-of-50m

They also stock a 19" rack-mount wine rack: http://www.canford.co.uk/CANFORD-RACKWI ... -wine-rack

Mandrewpi

Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:04 pm

I think I use gaffer tape on my tennis racket grip

I own:

Ravenous

Fri Jan 02, 2015 8:11 am

Yeah I've noticed Canford Audio's rack mounted wine rack before. I thought it would be good for chilling wines in a cooled machine room. :D

BMS Doug

Fri Jan 02, 2015 9:54 am

Ravenous wrote:Yeah I've noticed Canford Audio's rack mounted wine rack before. I thought it would be good for chilling wines in a cooled machine room. :D

don't bet on your machine rooms remaining cooled indefinitely, Energy Savings from raising the temperatures to about 22 DegC are considerable.

Probably depends on the equipment contained within the room but those places that would let you get away with adding a wine rack may be turning the temp up.
Doug.

Return to “Off topic discussion”