fruitoftheloom

UK Wall Socket with built in 2 x USB

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:48 pm

Retired disgracefully.....
......to an uncomplicated life !

Rather than negativity think outside the box !

BMS Doug

Re: UK Wall Socket with built in 2 x USB

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:03 am

the USB charge ports can supply a shared maxium current of 2 Amps, ie 2A from 1 port or 1A from both ports.
I'd have preferred it if they had put a higher output, many tablets suggest 2.1A input...
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 28, 2014 9:26 am

BMS Doug wrote:
the USB charge ports can supply a shared maxium current of 2 Amps, ie 2A from 1 port or 1A from both ports.
I'd have preferred it if they had put a higher output, many tablets suggest 2.1A input...
I'm still trying to find one with a decent current rating.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All non-medical doctors are on my foes list.

mikerr

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:00 am

Nice idea, but I'm put off by the fact the USB ports are not switched, and permanently on (are they fused?)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

fruitoftheloom

Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:14 am

mikerr wrote:Nice idea, but I'm put off by the fact the USB ports are not switched, and permanently on (are they fused?)
I think it was designed by Native North Americans to send smoke signals ;)

Burngate

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:37 pm

Similar but different: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/netgear-av200 ... nder-n18nr Does anyone know if this would power a Pi through its USB? It'd be so nice for a headless Pi - power & network in one.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:10 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
BMS Doug wrote:
I'm still trying to find one with a decent current rating.
Surprised! 2A is quite a lot. (and not much different to the 2.1A asked for above). And isn't 2A (10W) the max according to the specification?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

DougieLawson

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:38 pm

jamesh wrote:
Surprised! 2A is quite a lot. (and not much different to the 2.1A asked for above). And isn't 2A (10W) the max according to the specification?
I want 2A on each USB. I've got two Raspberry Pis (an A+ & a B) on my bench.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

aTao

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:44 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
jamesh wrote:
I want 2A on each USB. I've got two Raspberry Pis (an A+ & a B) on my bench.
well, if you are good boy you never know what Santa might bring.
>)))'><'(((<

repton

Sun Nov 30, 2014 4:28 pm

My first thought is "how much power does it waste when nothing is plugged in?" I like to be able to turn things off when they're not being used...

Paul
UK Supplier of 1-Wire components, kits and modules:
http://www.sheepwalkelectronics.co.uk/

aTao

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:15 pm

repton wrote:My first thought is "how much power does it waste when nothing is plugged in?" I like to be able to turn things off when they're not being used...

Paul
10Watts full load, if its only 90% efficient (good guess for these things) then thats 1W not converted. That 1W will heat the room so to calculate energy wastage you must consider how often that 1W will replace dedicated heating. Could be as much as half the time. So, on average, thats a whole half a Watt.

I once heard someone rant about the energy wasted on christmas tree lights. For indoor trees in the UK the only energy wasted is what goes through the chink in the curtains, for the whole country it adds up to about a Mini.
>)))'><'(((<

jamesh

Sun Nov 30, 2014 9:55 pm

Those ones hanging across the roads in various town and city centres must blow quite a bit of energy. Hope they are all moving to LED or CFL. Should save a Drax or two.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

BMS Doug

Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:50 pm

jamesh wrote: Surprised! 2A is quite a lot. (and not much different to the 2.1A asked for above). And isn't 2A (10W) the max according to the specification?
Tablet + smartphone, or 2 tablets, I don't know that I'd trust a cheap low rating power supply like that one with a higher than rated load. (And I do know that I wouldn't trust my wife not to plug multiple items in when there are 2 sockets available).
Doug.

jdb

Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:46 pm

aTao wrote:
repton wrote:My first thought is "how much power does it waste when nothing is plugged in?" I like to be able to turn things off when they're not being used...

Paul
10Watts full load, if its only 90% efficient (good guess for these things) then thats 1W not converted. That 1W will heat the room so to calculate energy wastage you must consider how often that 1W will replace dedicated heating. Could be as much as half the time. So, on average, thats a whole half a Watt.

I once heard someone rant about the energy wasted on christmas tree lights. For indoor trees in the UK the only energy wasted is what goes through the chink in the curtains, for the whole country it adds up to about a Mini.
What repton is referring to is the "vampire power" consumption - i.e. the idle power consumption of these sockets with nothing plugged into them.

This used to be a big deal - equipment on standby would consume several watts of power, mainly in SMPS designs poorly optimised for the case where their outputs were disconnected. Recent standards limit the maximum input power of most SMPS designs to 0.1W in the idle state.

On the back of these sockets several standards are embossed - BS EN 60950 for example - but this concerns the safe design of IT equipment and not any specific efficiency or idle power requirements.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

aTao

Mon Dec 01, 2014 12:38 am

jdb wrote:
What repton is referring to is the "vampire power" consumption - i.e. the idle power consumption of these sockets with nothing plugged into them.
Aye, but without data for that quantity I guessed that it would be approximately the same as power loss when under load. I imagine it will probably be less, giving an even more favourable result.
>)))'><'(((<

johndough

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:40 am

Hi

Try Screwfix for some details of a similar product...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/lap-13a-2-gan ... late/14309

Possibly Greek in origin, but ASTA certified.

DougieLawson

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:46 am

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 01, 2014 9:56 am

OK this one gives more info and cheaper than ScrewYouFix, it seems better than the Ebuyer one as can go to manufacturers web page:

http://www.cableuniverse.co.uk/uk-power ... white.html

http://www.groupgear.co.uk/productsinfo.asp?id=23014

BMS Doug

Mon Dec 01, 2014 1:42 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:OK this one gives more info and cheaper than ScrewYouFix, it seems better than the Ebuyer one as can go to manufacturers web page:

lovely info
• If no device is connected, the transformer shuts down and power is not supplied to the USB ports
• The USB charging sockets are limited at 2 Amp, if the current exceeds this it will automatically trip off to protect your devices
Doug.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:05 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
fruitoftheloom wrote:OK this one gives more info and cheaper than ScrewYouFix, it seems better than the Ebuyer one as can go to manufacturers web page:

lovely info
• If no device is connected, the transformer shuts down and power is not supplied to the USB ports
• The USB charging sockets are limited at 2 Amp, if the current exceeds this it will automatically trip off to protect your devices
Yep, it took some finding a manufacturer who list full specs and data sheets / conformity info...

drgeoff

Mon Dec 01, 2014 2:53 pm

Words such as "transformer shuts down" and "amplifier" don't instill 100% confidence. At least not in the copywriter's technical abilities.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:23 pm

drgeoff wrote:Words such as "transformer shuts down" and "amplifier" don't instill 100% confidence. At least not in the copywriter's technical abilities.
NitPicking, can you post link to similar product with 100% Technical Authoring and the same or better specifications ?

Though personally a few stupid authoring errors would not put me off the Group Gear product.....

BMS Doug

Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:29 pm

ignoring the bad translation / writing I wouldn't buy them because they won't work if you have more than 2A load (whatever "it will automatically trip off to protect your devices" means) and as previously mentioned my tablet will happily draw 2.1A from one of the USB sockets (presumably tripping it out).
Doug.

fruitoftheloom

Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:50 pm

BMS Doug wrote:ignoring the bad translation / writing I wouldn't buy them because they won't work if you have more than 2A load (whatever "it will automatically trip off to protect your devices" means) and as previously mentioned my tablet will happily draw 2.1A from one of the USB sockets (presumably tripping it out).
Personally a Anker 40W 5 Port Charger is better value @ £20.00, but originally posted about this product as I thought it might be of interest. ;)

BMS Doug

Mon Dec 01, 2014 11:06 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote: Personally a Anker 40W 5 Port Charger is better value @ £20.00, but originally posted about this product as I thought it might be of interest. ;)
Yup, I've got 3 of the Anker's scattered around the house, a good built in one would be nice but the specs would have to be right.
Doug.

Return to “Off topic discussion”