aTao

If the RPi was made by Apple.....

Thu Nov 27, 2014 7:44 pm

News headline "New miniature Raspberry Pi B+ comming soon"

jamesh has revealed a new version of the rspberry Pi B+, according to reloable sources it will be a miniature version of the B+ probabaly aimed at wearable devices such as watches and HUDs. In a post on the Raspberry Pi forum he mentioned the so far un heard of b+.
See http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... af#p646816
jamesh wrote:You can use Raspi's in commercial products without any licence fee.

The Foundation sell the Compute module that is designed for commercial applications, but you need to build a carrier board for it which might be more work than you want, in which case, just use either the A+ or b+
But since this is not Apple and media hype isnt quite the same, tis probably just a typo.
>)))'><'(((<

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: If the RPi was made by Apple.....

Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:07 pm

You may think that, I couldn't possibly comment.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mikerr

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:10 am

Joking aside, the A+ is pretty tiny as it is.
I wonder if it's possible to make a compute module holder board much smaller than an A+

A+
65mm x 56mm

Bare compute module
65 mm x 30mm
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

aTao

Fri Nov 28, 2014 12:42 am

mikerr wrote:Joking aside, the A+ is pretty tiny as it is.
I wonder if it's possible to make a compute module holder board much smaller than an A+

A+
65mm x 56mm

Bare compute module
65 mm x 30mm
Right angle SODIMM 200 pin connectors look to be 71.5mm wide and add 4.5mm to the height (30mm for CM) so if you dont mind surface mount soldering right at the edge of the board then minimum dimensions for a socketed CM is 71.5mm by 34.5mm.
A less sane option would be direct soldering to the CM but that wouldnt do a whole lot for the height, just keep width down to 65mm.
>)))'><'(((<

tekim

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:22 pm

Greetings,

It would be helpful if a version could be produced similar to a B+ but without sockets. The sockets being replace by header pins in the manner of GPIO. The sockets could be supplied mounted on a strip suitable for inclusion in a case, similar to the manner of a PC.

Having sockets on more than one edge of a PCB does not lend itself to producing a 'nice' case. Having the mounting holes located at the corners is a step in the right direction though.

Cheers,

RaTTuS

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:27 pm

tekim wrote:Greetings,

It would be helpful if a version could be produced similar to a B+ but without sockets. The sockets being replace by header pins in the manner of GPIO. The sockets could be supplied mounted on a strip suitable for inclusion in a case, similar to the manner of a PC.

Having sockets on more than one edge of a PCB does not lend itself to producing a 'nice' case. Having the mounting holes located at the corners is a step in the right direction though.

Cheers,
just don't
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:44 pm

tekim wrote:Greetings,

Cheers,
This has been brought up endless times, and commented on even more (with reasons why not). A search of the forums will find the posts.

To all - not in this thread....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

mikerr

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:45 pm

I think he might have meant a version of the compute module IO board, not a new model pi

It is now possible to make carrier boards to all these requirements using the compute module
e.g http://upverter.com/jeffglancy/4bd87d20 ... -IO-Board/

I'm only surprised there aren't more designs already out there (someone stick one on OSHpark)
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

aTao

Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:55 pm

RaTTuS wrote: Image
Way WAY off topic

But while we are here. I see your "flogging a dead horse" and raise you a. Image
>)))'><'(((<

Return to “Off topic discussion”