AndyD

Open source SOC from some familiar names

Sat Aug 16, 2014 12:25 am

Just found this on slashdot and couldn't find anything about it here.
A non-profit company is developing an open source, 64-bit “lowRISC” SoC that will enable fully open hardware, “from the CPU core to the development board.”
There is an article about the project on LinuxGizmos. The familiar names are Robert Mullins and Alex Bradbury.

There is also a website: http://www.lowrisc.org/

dan3008

Re: Open source SOC from some familiar names

Sat Aug 16, 2014 8:56 am

nice :)

Could make for some interesting dev boards and the like in the future :D
I'll be keeping an eye on that.

--edit--
How long till someone compares it to the pi? lol
Its a completely different beast,
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:34 am

Thanks for sharing and for your interest. I hope our (the lowRISC team's) FAQ answer clearly explains the difference between lowRISC and the Raspberry Pi. We hope to have more information in the coming months. For reference, here's our FAQ answer:
How is this different to Raspberry Pi?

Our goals and focus are quite different. The Raspberry Pi exists to improve computer science education worldwide. A fully open-source SoC is not necessary to reach this goal, or even a pragmatic way of achieving it given the timescales involved. While it is an ultimate goal to support all the features of a modern commercial SoC, it will require a number of iterations of the design to achieve this. For example, early versions of our SoC will not include a GPU.

AndyD

Sun Aug 17, 2014 10:33 am

asb wrote:... I hope our (the lowRISC team's) FAQ answer clearly explains the difference between lowRISC and the Raspberry Pi. We hope to have more information in the coming months...
Absolutely Alex, I probably should have put that in my original post. However, I am sure there are a number of people who are regular poster here that will be very interested in your project.

asb
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:30 am

AndyD wrote:
asb wrote:... I hope our (the lowRISC team's) FAQ answer clearly explains the difference between lowRISC and the Raspberry Pi. We hope to have more information in the coming months...
Absolutely Alex, I probably should have put that in my original post. However, I am sure there are a number of people who are regular poster here that will be very interested in your project.
Absolutely! I should also say we're hiring http://www.jobs.cam.ac.uk/job/4665/

Jessie

Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:18 am

As always I love to see people go out and do things like this. I think this project looks a little more fleshed out than OpenRISC, and there appears to be more motivation. We need more choices in many product categories, hopefully someone trickles up into the desktop space soon intel and AMD have been real stagnant over the last 10 years.

Return to “Off topic discussion”