Jessie

Knock knock, Microsoft is at the door.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:16 am

http://www.zdnet.com/microsoft-debuts-s ... 000032094/

I wonder who will buy this with that price? Yes it comes with windows. There are $60 atom boards out there now this seems irrelevant.

Microsoft could really subsidize a great Dev board project. Seeing this makes me wonder what they were thinking.

riklaunim

Re: Knock knock, Microsoft is at the door.

Wed Jul 30, 2014 6:34 am

It's designed to facilitate development of software and drivers for mobile devices that run Windows, such as phones, tablets and similar SoC platforms, although it can also be used for Android development.
It's a very specialized product, not intended actually for general use. Other SoC makers often offer similar demo/dev platforms.

redhawk

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:54 am

I wonder who will buy this with that price? Yes it comes with windows. There are $60 atom boards out there now this seems irrelevant.
and you could probably buy a 2nd hand computer for even less that runs Windows. :)

Richard S.

AndrewS

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:42 am

Looks like a fairly standard embedded dev-board. (edit: i.e. it's not intended for hobbyists)
IMHO the article author (edit: i.e. zdnet) probably only compared it to the Raspberry Pi in order to grab headlines :roll:
Last edited by AndrewS on Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:42 am, edited 2 times in total.

mikerr

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:47 am

Price:

$299

move along, nothing to see here.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:57 am

I recon you would be hard pressed to find an electronic pie (pun intended) that there is some branch of Microsoft wilggling a finger about in.

If any of these ever come to fruition we will just have to wait and see invairably when they do come up with something in whatever field it tends towards the expensive end of the market so our little buget Pi is reasonably safe from the macinations of big corporate development. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

PiGraham

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:02 am

It's 6" x 4".
Nothing like Ras Pi.

More info here http://www.sharkscove.org/docs/

Ravenous

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:19 am

Jessie wrote:Microsoft could really subsidize a great Dev board project. Seeing this makes me wonder what they were thinking.
Well you're linking to the ZDNet article about it, who let's face it are pretty uncritical - not to mention just plain wrong - on occasion.

Microsoft on the other hand are clear what this device is for. It's not a consumer device and it's not competition for the raspi.

PiGraham

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:31 am

MSDN wrote:Windows compatible hardware development boards
Develop Windows drivers for parts that connect to System on a Chip (SoC) platforms. New hardware development boards support development and testing of drivers for parts that connect to General Purpose I/O (GPIO) pins and low-power buses like I2C and I2S.
This is a development tool not a product in its own right. That's why it's big, with lots of connectors and is expensive.

jarpiii

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:38 am

I agree with AndrewS - MS just wanted to create hype and draw MS fan to move to the other side of the table.
They still have a very long way to go before they can compete with the Pi

Ravenous

Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:40 am

jarpiii wrote:I agree with AndrewS - MS just wanted to create hype and draw MS fan to move to the other side of the table.
They still have a very long way to go before they can compete with the Pi
Wrong. Read what he said again. :roll:

Jim JKla

Wed Jul 30, 2014 11:40 am

I don't think this is Microsofts hype but they are not going to deny it.

The RPi is not realy a competitor even if they did make a Pi clone they would have to hevily subsidise it to be any sort of challenge to the Pi and the Pi does not represent a challenge to Microsofts core product range or Operating Systems, Unless you consider Linux a serious chalenge to the Microsoft corporate mindset.

I kind of like the idea of making their collective corprate thingies suffer a bum twitch every time I boot a Linux computer. ;)
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:54 pm

That ZDNet headline is complete rubbish - this is clearly a dev board with a lot of bells and whistles - it's more akin to the Raspi CM IO board than the Raspi.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

BMS Doug

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:15 pm

PiGraham wrote:
MSDN wrote:Windows compatible hardware development boards
Develop Windows drivers for parts that connect to System on a Chip (SoC) platforms. New hardware development boards support development and testing of drivers for parts that connect to General Purpose I/O (GPIO) pins and low-power buses like I2C and I2S.
This is a development tool not a product in its own right. That's why it's big, with lots of connectors and is expensive.
Yes, Lazy Journalism strikes again.
Michael Fourre (MSFT) 29 Jul 2014 3:04 PM
The focus of the Sharks Cove is on unblocking our hardware partners to build Windows parts for development of subsystems for tablets and mobile devices.
At least they gave it a cool name!
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

Ravenous

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:19 pm

BMS Doug wrote:
The focus of the Sharks Cove is...
At least they gave it a cool name!
I thought it was something to do with large fish and DIY... :?

AndrewS

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:27 pm

Ravenous wrote:I thought it was something to do with large fish and DIY... :?
Nah, the DIY aquarium thread is over here -> http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=83188
;)

edit to fix spelling
Last edited by AndrewS on Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DougieLawson

Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:58 pm

AndrewS wrote: Nah, the DIY aquariam[sic] hash farm thread is over here -> http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewt ... 63&t=83188
;)
FTFY.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

cyrano

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:22 pm

Is there really anybody left who cares what failure Microsoft has stumbled upon this time?

jamesh

Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:51 pm

cyrano wrote:Is there really anybody left who cares what failure Microsoft has stumbled upon this time?
You would be surprised.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Jessie

Wed Jul 30, 2014 8:32 pm

Many out there don't consider anything without an MS OS a computer. I really hope Valve can convince enough devs to do native Linux binaries, that would make a big dent in MS's pocketbook.

mrpi64

Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:38 am

It just looks like they have stuffed too much onto a tiny board. They probably think that more is better. In this case, probably not.
I'm happy to help.
https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=78&t=51794 - List of games that work on the Pi.

BMS Doug

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:04 am

mrpi64 wrote:It just looks like they have stuffed too much onto a tiny board. They probably think that more is better. In this case, probably not.
Consider the actual intended usage, to enable developers to write windows drivers for new hardware. It's not intended to use all the different device types at once, instead it is intended to make available every type of interface that someone is trying to build and create a driver for.
Doug.
Building Management Systems Engineer.

jamesh

Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 am

mrpi64 wrote:It just looks like they have stuffed too much onto a tiny board. They probably think that more is better. In this case, probably not.
For dev purposes it would be fine I think. Remember, it's not aimed at 'normal' people.

Return to “Off topic discussion”