Ravenous

Re: 100 RPi supercomputer w/ 20 GPU boards, appreciate for h

Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am

You really don't know a lot about compilation do you... never mind, compilation is in most cases a single CPU process and not easily made parallel. His example basically illustrates the massive speed difference in the raspi's CPU.

As for the GPU, someone has posted code for doing FFTs in the graphics unit which does give a performance increase. I suggest you search for that code and try it on a single raspi, or at least read through it. (Please do your own research to find this; you will not be able to complete this project unless you can demonstrate an ability to do pretty serious research.)

RaTTuS

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:00 am

Richard-TX wrote:When I need to benchmark something, I compile a program. Here are some times.

Raspberry pi - 90 minutes
Beaglebone Black - 45 minutes
Dell 690 with 2 dual core [email protected] 3 ghz - 13 minutes
new computer with Intel i5 processor - 3 minutes.

I will let you figure out of 100 Raspberrys can do what a single I5 processor can do.
I point you to distcc
but cost / compile time go with the fast one ;-p
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Richard-TX

Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:59 pm

Supercomputing-RPi wrote:Umm @Richard-TX
What exactly did you benchmark it for?
What did it test?
The CPU or the GPU?
What was it trying to do?
To answer each of your questions.
- I was using it as a general purpose benchmark that involves CPU and disk.
- Compiling tests disk i-o and cpu
- The GPU was not used.
- Make a set of executables.

Compiling a fairly large program is a way to put a real-world load on a machine. It occupies one cpu (unless multiple copies of the source tree are compiled simultaneously.) so it is fair and repeatable.
Richard
Doing Unix since 1985.
The 9-25-2013 image of Wheezy can be found at:
http://downloads.raspberrypi.org/raspbian/images/raspbian-2013-09-27/2013-09-25-wheezy-raspbian.zip

Supercomputing-RPi

Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:19 pm

I need GPU results....
Not exactly the CPU....

What do you guys think of this GPU

ASUS ROG 760 GTX....
T4L (Tegra 4 Linux) drivers
motherboard with i5?
Kylin Linux???
and I should be fine?
Vampir for cluster optimization?

Supercomputing-RPi

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:02 am

I just found free educational math libraries from Intel for academic non commercial use...

https://software.intel.com/en-us/non-co ... evelopment

It's the same software used by Tianhe-2 (world's fastest supercomputer) in China.

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:57 am

Supercomputing-RPi wrote:I need GPU results....
Not exactly the CPU....

What do you guys think of this GPU

ASUS ROG 760 GTX....
T4L (Tegra 4 Linux) drivers
motherboard with i5?
Kylin Linux???
and I should be fine?
Vampir for cluster optimization?

This is a Raspberry Pi forum, you are asking questions about other platforms, yet again :)
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

fruitoftheloom

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:00 am

Supercomputing-RPi wrote:I just found free educational math libraries from Intel for academic non commercial use...

https://software.intel.com/en-us/non-co ... evelopment

It's the same software used by Tianhe-2 (world's fastest supercomputer) in China.
Intel, the Pi uses ARM Architecture :twisted:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Supercomputing-RPi

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:12 am

@fruitoftheloom

Ok! Ok!
ARM Math Libraries? OK fine!

https://code.google.com/p/math-neon/
ARM NEON MATHLIB - specifically made for higher order functions..

Would this work?

Please do not frighten me with your devil emoticons. Plz!!! :roll: :? :o >>>>>>> :evil: :twisted:

rpdom

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:19 am

Supercomputing-RPi wrote:Would this work?
Not on the Pi. That code is for an ARM CPU with NEON support, which the ARMv6 doesn't have.

ghans

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:52 am

@Supercomputing-RPi
As you now are considering PC hardware for your project
(IMHO a sensible choice) you should propably ask the people
on the Beowulf mailinglist for advice , they should know more.

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:38 am

[moderated] moved to off topic, as this seems to have nothing to do with raspberry pi anymore.

joan

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:13 am

mahjongg wrote:[moderated] moved to off topic, as this seems to have nothing to do with raspberry pi anymore.
Given that it was obvious that the post had nothing to do with the Raspberry Pi it would have been best to delete it 60 posts ago.

Supercomputing-RPi

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:04 pm

Have people done any audio analysis using the RPi.

I still need help with trying to analyze radio signals from the hydrogen line antennas...

I could convert the N-female antenna cable into an audio cable (3.5mm jack would be the end product).

Can the RPi handle audio streams?
and could it's GPU atleast be useful in visualizing that?

AndrewS

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:25 pm

The Raspberry Pi doesn't have audio input - you'll have to use a USB sound card for that.

Jessie

Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:33 am

On one hand I would love to see you make this happen. On the other I know that a Core i7 with a GeForce Titan or 780ti would be faster, cheaper, easier to program, and perform better. You are talking $4k just for the nvidia boards then another $3500 for the R Pis and likely not going to get acceptable results.

Supercomputing-RPi

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:10 am

@Jessie ....
Since you feel that the RPi is an unsatisfactory choice, you would like to see an RPi board being developed solely for HPC purposes? Many schools and students could benefit from this technology...
After initial testing and if the foundation requests me for the design, I am ready to make such device with proper R&D (me and my school club members).

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:05 am

Supercomputing-RPi wrote:@Jessie ....
Since you feel that the RPi is an unsatisfactory choice, you would like to see an RPi board being developed solely for HPC purposes? Many schools and students could benefit from this technology...
After initial testing and if the foundation requests me for the design, I am ready to make such device with proper R&D (me and my school club members).
Somebody already does that. Check out the Parallela boards.

In point of simple fact...a multiprocessor built from Pis could be interesting from both the what would be learned by doing it and provide a (rather slow, but fairly inexpensive...if not taken to extremes) platform on which to learn about programming massively parallel systems.

Build yourself a system with 8 or 16 Pis. That will teach you pretty much what 100 Pis would, but at far less cost.

When you get right down to it, it is almost certainly not in the Foundation's best interest to expend their development efforts on this. If you think you can design and have manufactured enough boards to sell them cheaply enough for this purpose, then do so. Suggestions that the Foundation do so are like the people who say, "I've got a great idea for a book! If you write it, we can split the royalties 50-50." Sorry, *ideas* are cheap. They are what you trip over on the sidewalk. The *writing* (or in the case, taking the idea from concept to readily available product) is the hard part. I'm not saying this to discourage you from trying. Who knows...you may succeed. You will certainly learn a great deal from the effort. It's just not the best approach to try to get someone else to implement your idea.

Jessie

Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:51 pm

The Parallella is almost impossible to get ahold of. Plus they overheat in their stock config.

Why not wait until nvidia releases GPUs for the Jetson k1? With a discrete GPU it would do well performance wise. Also if your interests are purely educational then there is nothing wrong with using a large cluster of R Pi just don't expect it to be a performance rig.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Jessie wrote:The Parallella is almost impossible to get ahold of. Plus they overheat in their stock config.
IF the OP were to start working on a similar board, by the time he had it production, the Parallela people will probably have long since solved *their* production issues (and the overheating).
Why not wait until nvidia releases GPUs for the Jetson k1? With a discrete GPU it would do well performance wise. Also if your interests are purely educational then there is nothing wrong with using a large cluster of R Pi just don't expect it to be a performance rig.
Exactly. It's a "learning experience". Mind you, it would be a pretty good learning tool and it doesn't need anything near 100 Pis to serve as such, but as you correctly note, it's not going to be some sort of speed demon.

It would also be worth the exercise to start with a small cluster (even as few as, say, 4) to work out the clustering issues and build the confidence to actually implement a larger--say 8 to 16 range--cluster. Beyond about 16, it's just a way of showing off and can't really be taken as a serious effort.

Supercomputing-RPi

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:40 pm

Jessie wrote:The Parallella is almost impossible to get ahold of. Plus they overheat in their stock config.

What about using normal ITXs, RPis, and Jetson TK1s?

Jetson TK1 is already released for $192/piece on newegg and same price on all other distrubutrs.

(It is kinda weird to notice that nvidia tk1 has 192 cores and the price is 192 dollars, dollar per Kepler core? That's awesome!)

I am planning on to also contact schools in my area and my state to purchase hydrogen line antennas...
This way I could form a network of data sources from different locations.

Is there a way to make the RPi at least be useful in streaming live audio over the internet.
I need to capture the noise of the hydrogen line emissions from deep space....

As per my calculations so far...
I need about 20k dollars for this observatory....

Is kickstarter the best solution for this?
I have about 1400-1600 students at my high school (highersec. school)...

If I could get about $15 from each of them...
That puts me at about $22,500...
and, I could use that $2,500 for raffle prizes, online event streaming upon completion, and such...

If were to spend 20k on having a system with ITXs with GTX Titans (each w/ 6500+ GFLOPS), RPis (my own equivalent or parallela), and Nvidia Jetson TK1s (each w/ 300+ GFLOPS); I would have a system with computing power in the range of between 65-100+ TFLOPS and a network of eyes looking into the sky for comets, asteroids, stars.

Does anyone think that this is worth it to start?
Does anyone have objections?
Have anyone tried this out with ITXs and Jetsons?

I am only a teenager, but I have ideas that can change the world. :arrow: :idea: :o

Jim JKla

Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:46 pm

All teenagers have ideas that change the world and the size of their world changes for every teenager.

These days a lot of teenagers have worlds with global boundries some are galactic some are infinite.

I wish I was a teenager again. :D
Noob is not derogatory the noob is just the lower end of the noob--geek spectrum being a noob is just your first step towards being an uber-geek ;)

If you find a solution please post it in the wiki the forum dies too quick

Supercomputing-RPi

Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:21 pm

I am not saying only just imaginatively but in a way also realistically too...

Again,

fruitoftheloom

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:23 pm

Supercomputing-RPi wrote:I am not saying only just imaginatively but in a way also realistically too...

Again,

You can do what you like, no permission needed, but you need to do this yourself, no one can do it for you.

Research costs time and money and both are needed in spades, most inventors find it hard to get funding.

Good luck with your endeavours..
adieu

W. H. Heydt

Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:10 am

Supercomputing-RPi wrote: I am planning on to also contact schools in my area and my state to purchase hydrogen line antennas...
This way I could form a network of data sources from different locations.
I don't know about your area, but around here, if you asked schools, and especially schools you do go to, to purchase *anything*, they'll laugh at you. Education in the US is chronically underfunded.
As per my calculations so far...
Not if it includes 100 RPis. Those along would be $35K (assuming Model B).
Is kickstarter the best solution for this?
So far as I know, Kickstarter is targeted for projects that produce a product, so that those that "donate" get the product out the other end. Think carefully about what your "product" is.
I have about 1400-1600 students at my high school (highersec. school)...

If I could get about $15 from each of them...
That puts me at about $22,500...
Even though I was very much the science and math geek in high school, if someone had made such a proposal to me at that time, I would have turned him down cold. I can only imagine the kind of response you'd get from the jocks and cheer leaders...
If were to spend 20k on having a system with ITXs with GTX Titans (each w/ 6500+ GFLOPS), RPis (my own equivalent or parallela), and Nvidia Jetson TK1s (each w/ 300+ GFLOPS); I would have a system with computing power in the range of between 65-100+ TFLOPS and a network of eyes looking into the sky for comets, asteroids, stars.
That's a neat concept, but you need to start out with a "proof of concept" prototype that you can fund out of your own resources before going large.
Demonstrate (on a small scale) that it can be made to work *first*. *Then* seek funding to scale it up. Build a medium sized setup before going whole hog in case your proof of concept system doesn't scale, or doesn't scale the way you think it does.
I am only a teenager, but I have ideas that can change the world. :arrow: :idea: :o
Plenty of teens start out with world shaking ideas. A few of them succeed in shaking the world. (Try reading a biography of Robert H. Goddard for an example.)

rpdom

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:59 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Supercomputing-RPi wrote: As per my calculations so far...
Not if it includes 100 RPis. Those along would be $35K (assuming Model B).
Even though I was very much the science and math geek in high school,...
Not so much of a math geek if $35 x 100 = $35000 ;)

Try $3.5K :)

Return to “Off topic discussion”