ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Report from MakerFaire

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:12 am

I just got back from MakerFaire NYC (long day, got up at 6:30am and walked through the front door 10minutes ago). Picked up a few freebies (and twiglets from liz -- thanks alot) and some other bits and bobs but my main reason for going was to see the RaspberryPi alphaboard and I have to report that it is all that has been promised and much more.

Unfortunatly there was a miscommunication that resulted in Liz and Eben not having an HDMI monitor available for the first couple of hours (MFCOAPIAB) so we all had to just ooo and ahh at how pretty the board looks. Once they had the HDMI monitor though the alphaboard was running non-stop with the Quake3 demo, the Star Trek and Avatar movie trailers, and an lxde desktop and the processor probably wouldn't have melted an ice cube it ran so cool. It has great multimedia abilities and as a generic ARM linux computer it'll be nice.

Lots of people came to the booth and either knew about already and think it's great or didn't know about it and now think it's great. Eben's talk (which liz and a few others filmed) was standing room only and seemed to be well received.

The most popular question of the day was "can it run minecraft?" :)

All in all a great day out and things RaspberryPi related look good.

@Liz can't wait until 4th Quarter ;)

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:17 am

Liz is so tired she wants to die. Brilliant day, though - and some really good company too. Thanks so much to everyone who turned up to see us; we really loved meeting you (especially ukscone, of course, who is extremely good value. I wonder if he is available to hire for children's parties). 8)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:15 am

Quote from liz on September 18, 2011, 02:17
(especially ukscone, of course, who is extremely good value. I wonder if he is available to hire for children's parties). 8)

I'll send you a copy of my fee schedule. You have to supply the balloons if you want balloon animals though.

acfrazier

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:13 pm

Figured I'd check in here as well. That was some very clever eye laser photoshop you had going on there :P

I rather enjoyed meeting all of you, and if I had the money I'd gladly do it again.

Lakes

Sun Sep 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Look forward to seeing the Video! (after you are suitably rested of course) :)

stuporhero

Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:46 pm

Out of interest, did you guys clear up the GPU speed bug you mentioned on the original Quake3 demo? What is the framerate now?

Grats guys, I'll be in the right country for one of these soon...!

liz

Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:55 pm

Quote from stuporhero on September 18, 2011, 20:46
Out of interest, did you guys clear up the GPU speed bug you mentioned on the original Quake3 demo? What is the framerate now?

Grats guys, I'll be in the right country for one of these soon...!

Not yet - there is someone who has it on his list of bug fixes, though, so it should be sorted soon.

ricksl

Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:53 am

the maker faire presentation was very nice, and its something else to come and see a raspi in person after seeing all the demos online. On a different note, i think its kinda funny to point out that in the geek.com article the elbow of the person in the picture is my father who i drug out to maker faire that day. Anyway it was great to have a conversation with you all and ill be sure to keep in touch.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:13 am

Quote from ricksl on September 20, 2011, 01:53
the maker faire presentation was very nice, and its something else to come and see a raspi in person after seeing all the demos online. On a different note, i think its kinda funny to point out that in the geek.com article the elbow of the person in the picture is my father who i drug out to maker faire that day. Anyway it was great to have a conversation with you all and ill be sure to keep in touch.

Seems a bit harsh to drug your father just to get him to go to Maker Faire.... ;)
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:39 pm

Quote from jamesh on September 20, 2011, 10:13
Quote from ricksl on September 20, 2011, 01:53

Seems a bit harsh to drug your father just to get him to go to Maker Faire.... ;)

you should have seen the bribe i had to give my luddite son to come (how on earth did i spawn a luddite??????) although I have created a monster now, he has ordered a set of lock picks and a dozen or so lock cylinders and he's already gone through all my boxes for breadboard, soldering iron and other bits and pieces. we have about 50 led blinkies scattered around the house driving the cats nuts (nuttier)

jamesh

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:01 pm

I've always wanted to learn how to pick locks. Locks are, to me, a fantastic bit of mechanical engineering - my favourite bit of museums is where they have all the old castle locks etc.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

obarthelemy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:59 pm

kids are knowledge sponges, it's frightening because you say stupid stuff off-handedly and they take it seriously and come back with it weeks later; and I'm always wondering how to feed that brain that seems to switch on and off quickly and randomly.
Anyhooo, better locks than electricity !

liz

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:32 pm

Jamesh - I think we're going to be at DefCon in (?) Feb next year, where the lock picking guys will have a stand. (Not confirmed yet, but we do hope to be going.) You should come along!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:36 pm

just as a matter of interest. what sort of locks are there on the doors and closets in the location that spare alphaboards are stored.

no reason in particular just sort of curious

*ukscone whistles innocently, like butter wouldn't melt in his mouth*

liz

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:39 pm

Very large dogs.

Tide

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:41 pm

Ewh, that brings back memories of the white tower in Lands of Lore. The stupid lock picks NEVER worked and you had to hunt for dozens of white/silver/ebony/whatever keys. Cured me for life!

obarthelemy

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:47 pm

and a coffee-sipping attack cat ? with an eye patch ?

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 20, 2011 4:50 pm

Quote from liz on September 20, 2011, 17:39
Very large dogs.

dogs like me. especially big dogs. they probably see a kindred spirit. it's either that or the large steak i carry in my coat pocket

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:55 pm

@ ukscone: Big dogs.

Its not that they think you ARE a "large steak"? Hmmmmmmmmm??????
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:20 pm

Quote from ukscone on September 20, 2011, 17:36
just as a matter of interest. what sort of locks are there on the doors and closets in the location that spare alphaboards are stored.

Well, they were in cardboard box on Gert's desk when I went down there earlier today.

Of course, I had to get past Cerberus, the 3 Headed dog, guardian of the Underworld* first.

Easy when you know how.

* The ground floor.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 20, 2011 9:28 pm

Quote from jamesh on September 20, 2011, 22:20
Quote from ukscone on September 20, 2011, 17:36

Well, they were in cardboard box on Gert's desk when I went down there earlier today.

Of course, I had to get past Cerberus, the 3 Headed dog, guardian of the Underworld* first.

Easy when you know how.

* The ground floor.

WERE being the pertinent word in that paragraph

MDC

Tue Sep 20, 2011 11:47 pm

WERE being the pertinent word in that paragraph

Well, we'll know what happened if he turns up with a brand new car or flees the country. Yes he's been dealing, dealing alpha boards.

*cough* *cough*

Gert I will meet you in the back alley later, I only need a quick fix ;) .

Return to “Off topic discussion”