RichardUK

Parcel force epic fail!

Fri Jun 01, 2012 5:16 pm

Parcel force are off my xmas card list! RPi sent out on Wednesday, 24 hour delivery. According to the tracking, sent to the wrong depot. So now 24 hours late and they try to deliver it today, friday. Of cause I was now not at home due to their failure in sending to the wrong sorting office, happens all too much. This is where they get even worse. They don't deliver at weekends or bank holidays so thanks to the other company with Royal links, that's is, The Queen TM, I now have to wait till Wednesday to get my Raspberry Pi! I can't go down to the sorting office to get it as the post office, who are in the same sorting office, refuse to deal with parcel force stuff and parcel force refuse to look in the back of the van for my parcel even though it was all their fault.
7 days to complete a 24 hour delivery service, very British.

:(

grumpyoldgit

Re: Parcel force epic fail!

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:12 pm

Count yourself lucky it is only a Pi.

The NHS works in a similar way. I was once admitted to hospital with a temperature of 104, on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend. I was kept simmering by the nurses waiting for a doctor to arrive. It became clear that you don't get seen at weekends as the consultants don't do weekends. There was also no ward round on the Monday because it was a bank holiday. What they didn't say was that the consultants weren't going to do the Tuesday either as it was classed as an extra statutory holiday for the admin staff. Without admin staff there are no notes so the Consultants also didn't come in. I was finally seen at about mid-day on the Wednesday, having been fed, watered and still in a state of delirium for almost five days.

RichardUK

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:16 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote: I was finally seen at about mid-day on the Wednesday, having been fed, watered and still in a state of delirium for almost five days.
I hear what ya saying, I have a regular check up for my chest, it is the norm to be kept waiting over an hour. You're forced into making a scene to hurry them up, not nice at all. What get's my goat is the strongly worded letter asking for us to make sure we are on time!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 01, 2012 6:48 pm

grumpyoldgit wrote:Count yourself lucky it is only a Pi.

The NHS works in a similar way. I was once admitted to hospital with a temperature of 104, on the Friday of a bank holiday weekend. I was kept simmering by the nurses waiting for a doctor to arrive. It became clear that you don't get seen at weekends as the consultants don't do weekends. There was also no ward round on the Monday because it was a bank holiday. What they didn't say was that the consultants weren't going to do the Tuesday either as it was classed as an extra statutory holiday for the admin staff. Without admin staff there are no notes so the Consultants also didn't come in. I was finally seen at about mid-day on the Wednesday, having been fed, watered and still in a state of delirium for almost five days.

the states is just as bad. i'd been in and out of hospital for months and the day before thanks giving i threw up a massive clot of blood. it was ginormous almost 6 inches so rushed to the emergency room and my attending booked me a cat scan, upper gi & endoscopy but it was after 5pm so no one around to do them, not the next day as it was thanks giving, not the friday as it was the day after thanks giving, not the weekend as it was the weekend and the depts are closed then, no radiologist or endoscopy doctor availble on monday as they took the long weekend, tuesday, wednesday i was bumped due to emergenices (it was a level1 trauma center so got all the gunshots over the holiday, got the cat scan and upper gi on the thursday but the endoscopy doctor refused to take me as i'd filled a complaint against him 3 months earlier so they had to send me to another hospital for the test but couldn't get me in on the friday so as the endoscopy dept. was closed on the weekend i was finally seen on the monday where they said "it's nothing serious, don't worry about it it's just some blood we didn't remove last time we went in, you needed have been an inpatient" -- aaarrrggghhhhhhhh :)

grumpyoldgit

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:06 pm

ukscone wrote:
grumpyoldgit wrote:Count yourself lucky it is only a Pi.

the states is just as bad. i'd been in and out of hospital for months and the day before thanks giving i threw up a massive clot of blood. it was ginormous almost 6 inches so rushed to the emergency room and my attending booked me a cat scan, upper gi & endoscopy but it was after 5pm so no one around to do them, not the next day as it was thanks giving, not the friday as it was the day after thanks giving, not the weekend as it was the weekend and the depts are closed then, no radiologist or endoscopy doctor availble on monday as they took the long weekend, tuesday, wednesday i was bumped due to emergenices (it was a level1 trauma center so got all the gunshots over the holiday, got the cat scan and upper gi on the thursday but the endoscopy doctor refused to take me as i'd filled a complaint against him 3 months earlier so they had to send me to another hospital for the test but couldn't get me in on the friday so as the endoscopy dept. was closed on the weekend i was finally seen on the monday where they said "it's nothing serious, don't worry about it it's just some blood we didn't remove last time we went in, you needed have been an inpatient" -- aaarrrggghhhhhhhh :)
The difference between me and you is that in the UK no-one is standing over you with an account book. There are no direct costs to the patient. (Yes. I know we all pay tax). In the U.S. I assume there was an accountant having kittens over what it was costing your insurance company. So I am heartened that your medical staff are as disorganised as ours. Just looking through your comments though, there is a difference. With the NHS the consultant will book you for one scan. That scan will not take place until tomorrow and the results will not be available until the day after that, if you are lucky. So just a couple of tests can take a week to do and get the results back from. In the meantime you are just lying on a bed, being fed and taking up space and resources. Also, as you said, nothing happens after 5pm as all the admin staff go home and the consultants go to see their private patients. So, all this equipment and all the resources are available for a service that uses them for about 8 hours a day, for just 5 days a week. i.e. about 40 out of the 168 hours in a week.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:42 pm

i don't have medical insurance as it's too expensive to have me on it as well as the wife and kid so far medical costs for me since 2006 when i had a gangrenous appendix removed which started all my problems and led to 30+ surgeries, sod knows how many x-rays, cat scans, mris & endoscopies...... and 250+ days (most of them nil by mouth :( so no cheese or coffee :( ) over 6 years as an inpatient were at about $750,000-$850,000 last time we worked it out. it would have been more but my attending and surgeon did deals with other surgeons and consultants and paid for some stuff that i needed out of his own pocket and arranged for various machines i needed at home to be loaned to me free of charge.

tech_monkey

Fri Jun 01, 2012 8:10 pm

Now you know why I call them Parcel Farce.
http://www.casatech.eu

grrrrr

Sat Jun 02, 2012 11:23 pm

I usually just buy from someone else, if parcelfarce is going to be involved. Your (and my) Pi is probably sat in vans at the depot for this prolonged period. Hopefully we won't have a repeat of the last time this happened to me - realising that the vans must be full, some local crims broke into them at the depot and trashed what they didn't take away.
As for the bit where this thread wandered off into medical-land - going to hospital with an injury over a holiday week-end is usually survivable, but it really isn't the time to go with anything less than obvious, like an illness or chronic condition. If you have had that nagging pain for days, better to go in the week before and not leave it, hoping that it might go away.

But back to the topic - I've waited months for the thing, another few days isn't going to make much difference. I do have a large bottle of Pimms and lots of fresh fruit, so Wednesday will soon be here...

Lob0426

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:21 pm

My Pi is in North Carolina. With UPS. It moved from South Carolina. So it actually did not get any closer to me. It is still about 3000 miles away. That was Friday to Saturday. It will not move at all today. It is supposed to get here on 6/8. I have my doubts. My Panda board they tried to deliver to a town 197 miles away. They actually put it on the truck but the driver spotted that it was not on his route. Delivered a day late. My wife bought a PINK rifle stock for her .22lr. It was headed the right direction, but just kept on going. We are in California, and it made it to Oregon. Then turned around. That surprised me that it was only a day late. I called them and all I got was sorry. I talked to a Supervisor and suggested that the odds on two packages being mis-routed in a 12 day period to the exact same residence are pretty long, but it happened. Gave them the tracking numbers to prove it. I suggested that they might want to find out what was going wrong as they were paying for unnecessary time and mileage. Got another sorry and not even a we will look into it.

So I have decide they just do not give a damn. They get paid up front and could care less.
It is not the local guys. They always do a good job. But the routing centers are probably drinking too much on the job.
We need to go back to COD, then things would probably be done faster so they could get their money.

So what are the odds? That I get it on Friday? :?
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

nidO

Sun Jun 03, 2012 4:25 pm

For what it's worth, I got a dispatch note from RS at 19:12 on friday for delivery by parcelforce 24, and it arrived at 9:35am yesterday (saturday), a delivery of a shade over 14 hours. Parcel force do deserve some credit, at least they arent Yodel.

max1zzz

Sun Jun 03, 2012 5:56 pm

i try to avoid parcel force, not because they are a bad courier (i have never had a problem whit them) but becuse when no one is in they choose to deliver to our post office, and the people in there are useless, take a thermocouple i brought to mesure the temps while i'm doing bga reflows

We get the card through the door with the dredded "left at local post office"
so i go down after school, give the person behind the counter the card and my passport "sorry the parcel isn't here, it'll proably arrive at 4:30 - 5:00 PM today" (ok fair enough, in the end it proably wasn't there at the time)

go down after school the next day, give them the card, same person, "i said this won't be here til 4:30 - 5:00 today" by now i'm starting to get annoyed "no, no, this card is from yesterday, not today" still get "its not here."

So i go home and we call parcel force "yeah, it was definatley delivered to the post office at 4:45 pm yesterday"

back to the post office and we say something like "we called parcel force, we know it's here, where not leaving untill you find the parcel" so the woman goes into the stock room ( which she didn't do the past two times) and a hole 20 seconds later she comes back with my parcel, which she has two excuses for not giving me the first two times "if you gave me your name i could have found it", that made me kinda pissed, becuse it was written on the card i gave her, and the second excuse was "it didn't have your post code on it" that was just wtf, since it clearly had our postcode printed on it

it just annoys me that they can't admit their mistakes, i wouldn't have been so annoyed if she had just said "sorry about that, we must have misread the label when it first came in" or something like that, i just hate the fact it is always you or parcel force that is to blame for their mistakes, not them

tech_monkey

Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:23 pm

Sounds about right. Similar thing happened to me years ago which is why I now call them Parcel Farce.
http://www.casatech.eu

Rek

Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Originally ordered from Allied (USA) and requested delivery by UPS (depot 5 miles away and has evening and saturday hours for pickup)
RS shipped by DHL (gave me no optiions, DHL depot is 60 miles away, no evening or saturday hours)
Called to get delivery changed to my work, was told I must FAX them the change and a signature. Asked for an email address so I could send a scanned version instead. DHL says they can't receive email (Huh?) so I need to find a fax machine. My 76 yr old father dropped his landline and fax about 10 yrs ago so I know nobody who uses one since then. Had to wait a day and fax from work (old Gov building with plenty of ancient equipment). Hopefully the large armed men at the door will exact some revenge on DHL for me!
Not sure how DHL manages to operate with 20th century tools and attitudes. I half expect them to bring it by horse and buggy.

Chromatix

Thu Jun 07, 2012 9:16 pm

I had an interesting experience with my last Amazon order. They pick a variety of unusual postage schemes for their "free postage" offer, presumably to keep costs to a minimum. This one came via "Post Nord".

There is a reasonable density of post offices across Helsinki. Officially my local one has recently moved from a small shopping street of declining importance to within a coop-owned supermegahypermarket roughly the same distance away in a slightly different direction, at any rate a comfortable walking distance. When a parcel too big for the letterbox comes in, I'll most likely get a cute postcard (depicting a postman struggling with an enormous envelope bigger than he is) explaining that I should visit this post office to collect it.

Post Nord decided to send it to a different post office, with a slightly different postcode, somewhat further in the opposite direction. It's actually on the far side of a hill large enough for the next railway station up the line to be built *inside* it (and with significantly longer platforms than standard). And, instead of a postcard, I got a text message with the address of the post office in it.

But it got there, well within schedule, and I was able to pick it up with no faffing about. That's considerably better than the big-name couriers usually manage.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:14 pm

And *then* there's the thing where the couriers don't knock and then take the parcel back to their depot. From here, it takes a little over half an hour (on a day with no traffic) to get to the Yodel depot. It can be much longer if the A14 is bad.

The postman does not, in my experience, ring twice.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

SN

Sat Jun 09, 2012 12:17 am

And just to keep things balanced, I have never had an issue with Parcel Force (or the Royal Mail)

Granted the local delivery office is less than 500yds from my house but hey, just saying that not everyone gets a bad deal from these people

Actually I lie, 6 years ago we had a kleptomaniac postie who wasn't discovered until last year - strange getting a birthday card for my son with the age 5 years wrong on it...
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

nick.mccloud

Sat Jun 09, 2012 8:50 am

I live in the middle of bl**dy no where - not quite Scotland but suffice to say it's half an hours drive to anything that resembles a supermarket. The electronics business needs regular supplies.

I know the post woman and the half-a-dozen courier delivery drivers and they always deliver - which when there is snow on the ground is no mean feat given the 2:1 hill I live on. Sainsbury's turn up with the food parcels weekly too.

So I suspect this is all Townie moaning - come live in the country - the fresh air will do you good and you'll get your parcels on time too!

RichardUK

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:04 am

nick.mccloud wrote:I live in the middle of bl**dy no where - not quite Scotland but suffice to say it's half an hours drive to anything that resembles a supermarket. The electronics business needs regular supplies.

I know the post woman and the half-a-dozen courier delivery drivers and they always deliver - which when there is snow on the ground is no mean feat given the 2:1 hill I live on. Sainsbury's turn up with the food parcels weekly too.

So I suspect this is all Townie moaning - come live in the country - the fresh air will do you good and you'll get your parcels on time too!
So you think it's ok for Parcel force to take 7 days to complete a 24 hour delivery? I think what you should be saying is, how come given where I live they can deliver in good time yet people who live 30 mins walk from the depot have to wait 7 days!

nick.mccloud

Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:08 am

RichardUK wrote: I think what you should be saying is, how come given where I live they can deliver in good time yet people who live 30 mins walk from the depot have to wait 7 days!
If I were to have words put in my mouth, I'd say "Sh*t happens, chill dude"

crackedmember

Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:22 am

Having worked in the mail order industry, the email saying your order is being despatched is sent from the supplier when the note is handed over for packing. If there is a large pile it can be a couple of days before it gets processed. The despatch label is the last thing done. My pi from RS arrived 7 days after the email, but the despatch label on the box had been printed the day before!

bobc

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:31 am

IME from many items ordered online, from big to small, all couriers manage to screw up somehow. A lot seems to depend on local circumstances, if you have a well run local depot with good staff they can be quite reliable, others... a total nightmare. Some drivers will just to anything to get rid of the parcel, they don't care where it goes!

I love the fact that the online site will insist on only delivering to registered address and must be signed for by recipient for "security" reasons, but then the courier will happily leave it under your doormat, with a random neighbour, in a hedge down the road...

I have found Parcel Force to be one of the worst couriers though. The option to deliver to a local Post Office for a small fee can be useful - if you have a reliable local PO, of course.

piglet

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:50 am

I would prefer Parcel Farce over Shitty Link any time.

They don't even bother to ring the doorbell before shoving pre-written "you were out" through the door. Our "local" depot is over 45 mins each way. The reception area smells like an open sewer.

reiuyi

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:12 pm

I still don't understand couriers at all, or even why anyone would choose to use their services.

When the regular mail delivers something that doesn't fit in my mailbox when I'm not home, the neighbours get it and I thank them later. We do this all the time and no one complains about it. It's a give and get situation, no one can be at home all the time.

When a courier delivers something when I'm not home, it's taken back to one of their depots in an industrial area far away. Why do you not drop it off at my neighbour's house? I really don't care at all. If they sign for it, it's all okay. It's not like my very own neighbours would rob me. It's not like anyone's neighbours would rob them (I hope).

When I'm given the choice between courier and regular mail, I always choose regular mail. Where I live, the mail is better, quicker and more reliable than any courier.

Joefish

Mon Jul 09, 2012 1:53 pm

tech_monkey wrote:Sounds about right. Similar thing happened to me years ago which is why I now call them Parcel Farce.
Really? I just tend to drop the 'P' when I pronounce it.

What is particularly grating is that RS insist on delivering to the home address supplied by your credit card, meaning you can't simply solve all these problems by having the item delivered to your place of work.

piglet

Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:28 pm

reiuyi wrote:It's not like my very own neighbours would rob me. It's not like anyone's neighbours would rob them (I hope).
Mine would. I'm currently up to around £20,000 in pre-court-case legal bills... but that's another story.

Return to “Off topic discussion”