abhishek007

Advice on humanoid

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:05 pm

Hi everyone.......
I'm an enggineering student. I have done a lot of work in avr, pic, arm microcontrollers and have quiet good knowledge in c,c++,java,python.
I have a team of some students with me and we are planning to make a humanoid just like ASIMO of Honda company.
I want to know that Rassberry Pi would be good for this project or not.
I want advice on how to get started on this project.
Please give me your suggestions ,they are very valuable.
--------------------------------------------
Thank you for giving your precious time on my article :P

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Advice on humanoid

Sat Mar 01, 2014 3:14 pm

Difficult to say. It would probably be useful in some ways, not in others. But without some idea of what it is needed to do, its very difficult to make any assessment. Buy one and see?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Raspruss

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:06 pm

The Raspberry Pi is a 700Mhz ARM processor with a GPU and quite a bit of memory with the ability to have electronic outputs and/or inputs from external "devices" - for most output purposes you for sure would need some buffering. Given that, what you need to do is (1) decide what your Asimo-clone is going to include then (2) decide what needs "intelligent" control then (3) compute the performance requirements for each of those things then (4) decide if the Pi meets that need.

IMHO, the Pi can do a lot - REALLY a lot. Let's say you want intelligent control of a single multijointed arm. There's little doubt in my mind that the Pi can handle that, both sensory input AND control outputs, in conjunction with considerable external electronics to handle the sensors and motion control. Similarly, a Pi could handle accelleration(s) computations and detection (without thinking about this one too much, I'd say it could handle those things with ease) and the resulting control outputs to other computational units for position adjustment, etc (think "Segway computational requirements for balancing").

But as with all such engineering problems, the FIRST things you have to come up with BEFORE asking "Is X good enough?" is "What do we have to do and what ARE the performance estimates for each such thing?" - then you can address the answer to "Is Pi good enough"?".

Note that there are single board dinky computers that may be more suited to certain things - there are also similarly-priced ones that are somewhat "more powerful" than the Pi at the lower hardware level.

Hove

Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:38 pm

I've seen Segway style robots run by a Pi (http://www.raspberrypi.org/forum/viewto ... 37&t=70703) and walking Robots run by a pi (http://www.rapiro.com/

Seems like RAPIRO does much of what ASIMO does, but is much smaller.
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

abhishek007

Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:26 am

Thanks all of you.

mikerr

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:19 am

Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Hove

Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:47 am

mikerr wrote:And don't forget mine:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 37&t=47315
Hadn't forgotten it, but had forgotten where to find it :D
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

Return to “Off topic discussion”