Which do you think is the better option?

Rpi
64%
Desktop PC
21%
a NAS drive
No votes
I wouldn't bother at all (really? really really?)
14%

Total votes: 14
dan3008

Home Sever: Pi Vs Old Desktop

Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi everyone

I'm really just here to get some advice from people. I dont think this is really "off topic" but seems like the best place for it.

I'm planning a home server build, and when its done, its going to (eventually) host all my media (like a NAS drive) as well as a home intranet and an external webpage (maybe 2 if I feel clever).

Anyway, I have 2 options for this, I can either get a new RPi (and external hard disk) and run it on that, or... I can use an old desktop i have lying around (in a box in the attic), which would also require a new hard disk...

So here are the pro's and con's of each that i've thourght of

RPi Pros
1 - quieter
2 - lower power usage
3 - smaller
4 - will fit inside an old/broken dvd player i've been keeping for no reason
5 - portable (I can unplug the usb drive, and take it on holiday to take ALL my movies with me) :D

RPi Cons
1 - dont have an extra one to hand (all in projects)
2 - USB hard disks cost more than internal ones (size for size)
3 - need for a new case (although, I do have a dvd player or a freeview box it would fit in)
4 - all round more work, and less robust

Pc Pros
1 - Already have
2 - internal hard disk (needs replacing, but cheaper than usb)
3 - more upgradable
4 - already has a NICE case (I repainted it, cause i could lol)

Pc Cons
1 - noisy
2 - costs more to run
3 - takes up more valuable space on the shelf
4 - not as portable/moveable (cant take it on holiday with me)
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

Joe Schmoe

Re: Home Sever: Pi Vs Old Desktop

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:18 pm

You forgot to mention the main "PC pro":
Runs Flash
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

mikronauts

Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:59 pm

PC probably has gigabit Ethernet
PC hard drive transfer rate much higher than USB hard drive (unless PC is truly ancient)
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

redhawk

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:05 am

The only real benefit of using a Pi is the low power = lower electricity bills but as the previous poster had pointed out the PC would have the edge on speed and performance.

Richard S.

Raspruss

Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:58 am

When my daughter wants to Tumbl (...), necessitating her use of the "fast" computer, I use the "2nd" computer in the room, this one, an old 600 MHz P-III with 1 GByte ram and an 80 GByte disk running Xubuntu.

It for SURE is not clear this machine is faster than the Pi. In fact, (since I am not locked into Xubuntu) since I've had the Pi I've considered dumping Xubuntu and installing some minimal Debian OS using the Pi as a guide to just what I can dump; right now it sure looks (via "ps") that this old PC has too much junk running.

As such, from MY perspective it may simply be the Pi is "better" for the NAS than the old PC.

mikronauts

Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:32 am

Best guess, the Pi with a USB drive would be able to serve roughly 10MB/sec at most. If that is enough bandwidth for your usage, it will work fine as a small server.

If you have to buy the USB drive, for a little more, you can get a NAS drive with a gigabit port that would peform MUCH better.
http://Mikronauts.com - home of EZasPi, RoboPi, Pi Rtc Dio and Pi Jumper @Mikronauts on Twitter
Advanced Robotics, I/O expansion and prototyping boards for the Raspberry Pi

dan3008

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:12 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:You forgot to mention the main "PC pro":
Runs Flash
why would i want flash on a server? lol

GTR2Fan

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:58 am

I voted for the Pi, but that's on the presumption that the relatively slow data transfer rates aren't going to be an issue for you.
Pi2B Mini-PC/Media Centre: ARM=1GHz (+3), Core=500MHz, v3d=500MHz, h264=333MHz, RAM=DDR2-1200 (+6/+4/+4+schmoo). Sandisk Ultra HC-I 32GB microSD card on '50=100' OCed slot (42MB/s read) running Raspbian/KODI16, Seagate 3.5" 1.5TB HDD mass storage.

FTrevorGowen
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:14 am

For my, somewhat ancient, Linksys NSLU2 "NAS box" I just put "recovered" disk drives into a powered USB caddie, rather than buy new drives. One of my, pending uses, for a Pi is to replace the one still using the original firmware** (when it dies) - the Pi being faster and having "oodles more RAM" and about 1/3rd of the original cost of the "slug".
Trev.
**The other is (occasionally) running a web server:
http://www.cpmspectrepi.webspace.virgin ... NSLU2.html
Still running Raspbian Jessie or Stretch on some older Pi's (an A, B1, 2xB2, B+, P2B, 3xP0, P0W, 2xP3A+, P3B+, P3B, B+, and a A+) but Buster on the P4B's. See: https://www.cpmspectrepi.uk/raspberry_pi/raspiidx.htm

mikerr

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:34 am

mikronauts wrote: If you have to buy the USB drive, for a little more, you can get a NAS drive with a gigabit port that would peform MUCH better.
A gigabit port is no guarantee of performance. Many cheaper NAS struggle to push more than 10/100 network speeds,
though a PC will max it out.

FWIW my Pi gives read/write of around 8-9 megabyte/sec over the network using samba.
Last edited by mikerr on Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Joe Schmoe

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:38 am

I just I still don't know what a "Sever" is, so how was I supposed to know what features you did or didn't want?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:11 am

I booted an old desktop i was given (just yesterday ) the noise was un bareable .
It made me think i should get some ear defenders .. i dont know what DB and even if its not to loud its too far to distracting
dan3008 wrote:2 - USB hard disks cost more than internal ones (size for size)
If you can do without a case and have an old atx-psu , you can get usb2ide/sata and **re-use** the internal disk's!!!
for less $$ than the no of fingers your average human has on one hand.

--
** remember you're a womble! **

Lob0426

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:41 pm

I use a RasPi for a 24/7 web server due to its low power (6 watts total).

I built a Windows Home Server (V1) and it was used for years as my web page and as my backup server. It still is used as my backup server. It is turned on when needed.

The WHS uses an Intel Atom 330 board and only uses about 27 watts when running as a web server. The Gigabit Ethernet is nice when backing up a system. HDD performance is also a whole lot better on this board.

Each system has its pros and cons. You have to balance these to best suit your needs.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

dan3008

Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:18 pm

Looking like the pi then :D
At least for now, may upgrade in the future, but not right now.

I have found a nice 3tb internal disk, that i could use with a usb converter. cool cool. I wonder if the inside of my dvd player is already coated ...

ame

Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:55 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:I just I still don't know what a "Sever" is, so how was I supposed to know what features you did or didn't want?
Doesn't matter. Nobody ever wants Flash.

DrDominodog51

Wed Feb 26, 2014 1:31 am

Raspruss wrote:When my daughter wants to Tumbl (...), necessitating her use of the "fast" computer, I use the "2nd" computer in the room, this one, an old 600 MHz P-III with 1 GByte ram and an 80 GByte disk running Xubuntu.

It for SURE is not clear this machine is faster than the Pi. In fact, (since I am not locked into Xubuntu) since I've had the Pi I've considered dumping Xubuntu and installing some minimal Debian OS using the Pi as a guide to just what I can dump; right now it sure looks (via "ps") that this old PC has too much junk running.

As such, from MY perspective it may simply be the Pi is "better" for the NAS than the old PC.
At least yours isn't a P 4 2.8 ghz with 1 GB of ram 120 GB hd in NTFS format making it impossible for me to run linux at any reasonable speed, windows 7 and a upgraded gpu that runs hotter than the P 4(it is a shuttle xpc so it is no shocker that it has overheating problems ). Yours in a benchmark would do better than mine.

Return to “Off topic discussion”