autism: how much do you score ?

0-9
9%
7
10-19
24%
20
20-29
30%
25
30-33
15%
12
34-40
11%
9
40-49
9%
7
above 50
2%
2
 
Total votes: 82
User avatar
default_user8
Posts: 678
Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 3:11 am

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 3:32 am

I got a 15 which is sort of a surprise, becuase I see aspects of autism in myself. Guess that just means i'm weird :lol:
Two heads are better than one, unless one's a goat head.

dan3008
Posts: 1172
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:05 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:46 am

default_user8 wrote:I got a 15 which is sort of a surprise, becuase I see aspects of autism in myself. Guess that just means i'm weird :lol:
We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.

embrace your weirdness :L
dan3008 wrote:Pays your money, takes your choice

User avatar
blachanc
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 am
Location: Quebec,canada(french)

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Wed Jul 01, 2015 2:36 pm

dan3008 wrote: We're all a little weird. And life is a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall into mutually satisfying weirdness — and call it love — true love.
embrace your weirdness :L
And all that without any fear of the Geek syndrome that got dismantled:

silicon-valley-breeding-ground-aspergers-syndrome revisited

the premise was (in 2001):

The 2001 Wired article suggested that the high incidence of Asperger’s Syndrome in Silicon Valley is due not just to the large number geeks working in the high tech industry but also because they are having children together and in doing so passing the predisposition to Asperger’s along. In effect, geeks are begetting geeks.

Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

aimc
Posts: 31
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2014 2:58 am

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:42 pm

38 and it doesn't surprise me. The worst part is i don't want to change my personality :lol:

User avatar
blachanc
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 am
Location: Quebec,canada(french)

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:02 pm

Interesting article,

I wonder how he manages to keep his job. He surely did not chose the easiest career path :lol:

washington-reporter-with-autism
As the com­mit­tee’s chair­man, Sen. Or­rin Hatch, was pre­par­ing to exit, I leapt up and yelled a ques­tion at him.
Quickly, the of­ficer next to me warned that if I did that again, I could be ar­res­ted for dis­rupt­ing a hear­ing

....
I lack aware­ness of so­cial cues and my sur­round­ings, even when those sur­round­ings in­clude the Sen­ate’s most seni­or Re­pub­lic­an. In oth­er words, I might not un­der­stand that it isn’t the best de­cor­um to shout a ques­tion to a sen­at­or across a room, in­stead of wait­ing for him to get to the hall­way.
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

FalconFour
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2015 3:57 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sat Dec 26, 2015 7:18 pm

I got 31. But I think a single number for a multi-metric quiz like this is a fair bit off-balance. Having a lower floor to just say "No autism" could, as it almost did for me, discredit someone for being high in one area (social encounters are just downright painful to me) and low in others - I put a lot of interest in some very narrow categories, but I enjoy new things and changes in routine, for example. You can't assume that all traits are going to apply to every person with Asperger's, just to varying degrees. Some traits might be totally inverted!

User avatar
blachanc
Posts: 456
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:03 am
Location: Quebec,canada(french)

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sun Dec 27, 2015 8:01 am

FalconFour wrote:I got 31. But I think a single number for a multi-metric quiz like this is a fair bit off-balance. Having a lower floor to just say "No autism" could, as it almost did for me, discredit someone for being high in one area (social encounters are just downright painful to me) and low in others - I put a lot of interest in some very narrow categories, but I enjoy new things and changes in routine, for example. You can't assume that all traits are going to apply to every person with Asperger's, just to varying degrees. Some traits might be totally inverted!
Hi FalconFour,

The quiz is ment for fun. If you have a formal diagnosis, you know how long the process is to reach any conclusion, that are still debatable IMHO. ;)
My 10 years old is not a typical autist: very social, but so bad in interactions. :lol:


Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Heater
Posts: 13701
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:30 pm

blachanc,
I saw many threads where few replies reminded me of the tone my son can use (the age is meaningless here) .... They can sound very rude/impolite/insensitive...
That is very true. It's a recognized feature of communications on forums, chat channels and whatever.

This is fraught with problems:

What I write may not be what you read. Sure you read the same words but I might be making a little joke and the reader may not get it. I might be expressing a playful put down or even insult but the reader takes it very seriously.

With these few words in a post it's easy for the context to be lost, the tone and intent to be missed. Jokes get lost. The reader does not have the usual face to face cues like the wry smile or twinkle in the eye to take the messages as intended.

Then there are all kind of cultural differences that cause things to not be received as they are transmitted, if you see what I mean. Not to mention that many may not be native speakers at all.

That's why we have smiley "emoji". Sadly they often don't seem to work as intended either. Is that smiley in your post because you are having a playful dig at me? Or is it because you are laughing at me?

Then of course it's much easier to be offhand and dismissive of people or down right rude across the medium of a forum post, perhaps without thinking about it or intending it. Far more so than if you met the same person face to face. There is little chance of them punching you in the face for example.

All in all I don't think this indicates we have forums full of people with autism. It's just a down side of the medium. Something we all have to be aware of.

As you say, it's often best to just keep smiling.


Edit: Who deleted my previous post here a few hours ago? And why?
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23965
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sun Dec 27, 2015 2:16 pm

Heater wrote:blachanc,
I saw many threads where few replies reminded me of the tone my son can use (the age is meaningless here) .... They can sound very rude/impolite/insensitive...
That is very true. It's a recognized feature of communications on forums, chat channels and whatever.

This is fraught with problems:

What I write may not be what you read. Sure you read the same words but I might be making a little joke and the reader may not get it. I might be expressing a playful put down or even insult but the reader takes it very seriously.

With these few words in a post it's easy for the context to be lost, the tone and intent to be missed. Jokes get lost. The reader does not have the usual face to face cues like the wry smile or twinkle in the eye to take the messages as intended.

Then there are all kind of cultural differences that cause things to not be received as they are transmitted, if you see what I mean. Not to mention that many may not be native speakers at all.

That's why we have smiley "emoji". Sadly they often don't seem to work as intended either. Is that smiley in your post because you are having a playful dig at me? Or is it because you are laughing at me?

Then of course it's much easier to be offhand and dismissive of people or down right rude across the medium of a forum post, perhaps without thinking about it or intending it. Far more so than if you met the same person face to face. There is little chance of them punching you in the face for example.

All in all I don't think this indicates we have forums full of people with autism. It's just a down side of the medium. Something we all have to be aware of.

As you say, it's often best to just keep smiling.


Edit: Who deleted my previous post here a few hours ago? And why?
I did. Because.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Heater
Posts: 13701
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sun Dec 27, 2015 3:09 pm

Jamesh
Because.
Sometimes the wardens are worse than the inmates around here. :)
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23965
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:11 pm

Heater wrote:Jamesh
Because.
Sometimes the wardens are worse than the inmates around here. :)
Nope. You should see some of the stuff that doesn;t get through.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 15450
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Chelmsford, Essex, UK

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:27 pm

jamesh wrote:
Heater wrote:Sometimes the wardens are worse than the inmates around here. :)
Nope. You should see some of the stuff that doesn;t get through.
Sometimes I'm mildly surprised at the stuff that does get through

Heater
Posts: 13701
Joined: Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:02 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Sun Dec 27, 2015 9:34 pm

I think our moderators do a sterling job.

I may not always agree with them, but that's the deal here.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

MrTR
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Apr 30, 2019 9:35 am

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 10:26 am

Let me start by saying that I, like many other on the spectrum, find the term ASD (Autistic Spectrum Disorder) wrong (maybe even offensive, were I a person to take offence :ugeek: ). Looking at other people, I would rather not be like most of them, succumbing to irrational ideas, superstition and emotions. To me autism is a strength, my SuperPower,™ to which my problem with social interactions is my Kryptonite™.

Like most autistic people writing in this forum seem to have, I have found ways to compensate for (hide/circumvent/...) my autistic traits and cope fairly well in society at large to the extent that nobody (unless they have been told) seems to realise I am on the spectrum. (I scored 38 on the test, btw.)

I have fairly recently (four years ago and at a rather "ripe" age) been diagnosed with Medium Degree Autism.

For me it really started in school where, at the age of twelve, I was lying on my back in the playground being beaten (again) by the class bully. I was rationally contemplating my fate at that moment, ignoring the beating, and reaching a dilemma: Either there was something wrong with the whole world or with ... me! I realised I was the most likely culprit in the scenario and decided to change my behaviour to be more socially acceptable. I began observing people, looking for behaviour to copy and kept collecting more and more patterns to use, leading to my current (still trying to improve it) behaviour. The ultimate method actor, eh⁈⁉

At that time I (and my parents and the teachers) had no clue as to the existence of autism/Asperger, and not until a friend of mine had a son with Asperger did I start looking into it ... and lo and behold, my childhood started to make sense by realising my behaviour matched that of autism.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 23965
Joined: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:41 pm

Re: autism: what is your score on this quiz?

Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:06 pm

This thread is 4 years old, and I thought it had died a death. Let me hasten that death by closing it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Return to “Off topic discussion”