NMTech

Ignore

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:23 am

Ignore this.
Last edited by NMTech on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1200MHz RPi :) Overclocker 14 Years Old :D

Jessie

Re: Anyone in the 2000MHz club?

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:21 am

I'm a tad sceptical so why don't you post some screenshots of some benchmarks.

CopterRichie

Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:42 am

Sounds Interesting but I question the need to run that fast considering there is only 512 megabytes of RAM. That is the real bottleneck.

Jessie

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:17 am

CopterRichie wrote:Sounds Interesting but I question the need to run that fast considering there is only 512 megabytes of RAM. That is the real bottleneck.
No, the processor is the real bottleneck. The ARM core is almlst always pegged at 100% and I rarely see the ram full.

DougieLawson

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:49 am

The real bottlenecks are the SDCard and the USB hub/ethernet (which gets worse when you use a WiFi dongle).

It's always I/O that slows every machine that's why mainframes have massively parallel I/O subsystems (and can run 100,000 transactions per second). If the CPU is spinning then it's probably in a badly designed device driver that isn't interrupt driven.

Processor & memory are good at standard speeds on the RPi depending on the workload. The thing the RPi is incredibly bad at is web surfing with a graphical browser (but that's outside the design of the machine). Use a laptop for that stuff, it's more satisfying.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:23 am

I'm dubious. I don't think the PLL's will go that high, I wonder if some numbers have wrapped around somewhere. I'll check with Dom who is the expert here.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

mikerr

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:46 am

I thought around 1200Mhz was the highest previously.
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 1&p=377329

and of course you have to be using USB root instead of SD for any real (core) overclock

Show output of this for what it's actually running at::

Code: Select all

vcgencmd measure_clock arm
vcgencmd measure_clock core
Last edited by mikerr on Tue Jan 28, 2014 10:03 am, edited 2 times in total.

shuckle

Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:50 am

I am more than a little doubtfull.

Could you do this small test to proove that OC result:

nice yes >/dev/null &
cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq
I am badly lacking cpu speed on my systems and would be very happy for added cpu.
I have low usb/ethernet usage and also plenty of memory free.

CopterRichie

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:21 pm

I stand corrected, IO is the real issue, even when accessing memory, the CPU has to slow down and wait for the results. :)

simplesi

Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:57 pm

Different progs/applications have different bottlenecks :)

Simon
Seeking help with Scratch and I/O stuff for Primary age children
http://cymplecy.wordpress.com/ @cymplecy on twitter

dom

Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:28 pm

vcgencmd measure_clock arm
is the definitive answer. And no, NMTech will not get 2000MHz returned...

Jessie

Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:56 pm

DougieLawson wrote:The real bottlenecks are the SDCard and the USB hub/ethernet (which gets worse when you use a WiFi dongle).

It's always I/O that slows every machine that's why mainframes have massively parallel I/O subsystems (and can run 100,000 transactions per second). If the CPU is spinning then it's probably in a badly designed device driver that isn't interrupt driven.

Processor & memory are good at standard speeds on the RPi depending on the workload. The thing the RPi is incredibly bad at is web surfing with a graphical browser (but that's outside the design of the machine). Use a laptop for that stuff, it's more satisfying.
So your saying that replacing the ARM 11 based core in the BCM2835 with a Cortex series would yield no perceivable speed or smoothness increase (nor would it open the door for more uses)? On the flip side I don't think if Broadcom were to add a PCIe bus to the BCM2835 so that we could drop in a top end SSD we would see anything other than boot time and app load speed increase.

Don't take my critcism of the ARM 11 core as a negative it is what it is. There is only so much software optimazation you can do before the returns aren't worth the time. I've bought and donated a few R Pi, because I beleave in the goals. Its just natural for us to want more. I would also rather give my money to this foundation than anyone else.

NMTech

Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:40 pm

Ah sorry guys I found out I was reaching it and I could get to 1200 with force_turbo=1. At 2000 I couldn't use force_turbo. But according to this link. This guy seemed to reach the limit clock speed with his cooling.
http://www.overclock.net/t/1404207/extr ... spberry-pi

RobHenry

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:21 pm

NMTech wrote:But according to this link. This guy seemed to reach the limit clock speed with his cooling.
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

EdwinJ85

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:50 pm

Jessie wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:The real bottlenecks are the SDCard and the USB hub/ethernet (which gets worse when you use a WiFi dongle).

So your saying that replacing the ARM 11 based core in the BCM2835 with a Cortex series would yield no perceivable speed or smoothness increase (nor would it open the door for more uses)? On the flip side I don't think if Broadcom were to add a PCIe bus to the BCM2835 so that we could drop in a top end SSD we would see anything other than boot time and app load speed increase.

Don't take my critcism of the ARM 11 core as a negative it is what it is. There is only so much software optimazation you can do before the returns aren't worth the time. I've bought and donated a few R Pi, because I beleave in the goals. Its just natural for us to want more. I would also rather give my money to this foundation than anyone else.
I get what you mean, but for what it is the pi is fantastic. It's a full linux computer for a very small amount of money. It may have a slower CPU than you might like, but the GPU is pretty damn good for the power/price.

You can get other arm boards that are more powerful, but none of them have the software support the pi has. Java and Mono have been ported to Debian/Rasbian armv6-HF pretty much just for this one machine. Give me the easy to use and open pi over a closed but more powerful android running platform any day. I've used Pis as media centres, digital clocks (with piglow), text to speech bots, a full fat minecraft server and at the moment I'm using it for asp.net and it runs really well. I highly doubt I could have done this as quickly (if at all) on an android device. Heck, you don't even need to program, the repositories have almost everything you need, and you can compile the rest!
Last edited by EdwinJ85 on Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Hello!

CopterRichie

Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:55 pm

EdwinJ85 wrote:
You can get other arm boards that are more powerful, but none of them have the software support the pi has. Java and Mono have been ported to Debian/Rasbian armv6-HF pretty much just for this one machine. Give me the easy to use and open pi over a closed but more powerful android running platform any day.

I agree, I looked at a number of other arm boards before settling on the Pi and none of the others had the software and support community as the Pi. The marginal speed factor is durable for my applications.

NMTech

Wed Jan 29, 2014 12:38 am

RobHenry wrote:
NMTech wrote:But according to this link. This guy seemed to reach the limit clock speed with his cooling.
Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.
If you read the guys entire post, I was referring to his picture where the Pi had said it had reached the top clock speed and could not be continued. He had reached 4133MHz until it said <error>ARM maximum frequency

Return to “Off topic discussion”