tnelsond

Re: Morse Code interface

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:43 am

Wouldn't it be cool to put a small button on the R-Pi and use that for input in a Morse Code fashion? It would be educational and it would be more portable than a full sized keyboard and easier an alternative for people who hate typing on tiny keyboards.

Am I crazy? (Please don't answer :P )

iAreNewb

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:26 am

I'm going to answer anyways. Yes. But in a semi-good way.

Seriously though, it would take so damn long to A) memorize Morse code B) input a single letter. Then you have to define pulse length for dots/dashes (to differentiate the two and ensure no accidental dots), and pause length (to separate characters).

Although, maybe having just a numpad with an ASCII or Unicode mode option would be workable. One could learn useful character codes and type in most characters with relative ease (as opposed to Morse code, where it would be difficult to judge what you typed without a screen).

Lob0426

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:39 am

This sounds like it might make a good programming/project board project for education. The apollo astronauts entered code into the capsule, in hexidecimal, I believe. ASCII in the alternative of "texting" could be done also. Morse code is not that hard to learn. Two buttons for binary input?
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

tnelsond

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:51 am

Quote from Lob0426 on September 8, 2011, 04:39
Two buttons for binary input?

Sounds like another cool idea. Still like the simplicity morse code offers by only needing one button. But binary would sure be easier for a user to type in. As a bonus binary is also easier to learn since it's numeric and typically goes in the order of the alphabet.

mark139

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Morse is designed to be quick to enter for English. Much quicker to enter a single . for the letter E than 1000101 (69)

Years back I made a little filter for my Acorn Archimedes so I could decode morse from sw radio. Now that's given me an idea for when I get a R-PI

Lob0426

Sat Sep 10, 2011 7:30 pm

That filter sounds interesting.
A HEX interface pad wouldn't be bad as a project either. Faster than binary. lol.

Efcis

Sat Sep 10, 2011 10:40 pm

--... ...-- - --- .- .-.. .-.. .... .- -- .-. .- -.. .. --- .-. . .- -.. . .-. ... (from F6FVY)

tnelsond

Sat Sep 10, 2011 11:20 pm

Quote from Efcis on September 10, 2011, 23:40
--... ...-- - --- .- .-.. .-.. .... .- -- .-. .- -.. .. --- .-. . .- -.. . .-. ... (from F6FVY)

At first I thought there was a glitch in the page and your text wasn't showing up right.

Lob0426

Sun Sep 11, 2011 4:19 am

"7 3 t o a l h a m r a d i o r e a d e r s" thats what I got from it.
international morse code?
first six a call sign? :(
oops missed an "L"

what I got out of a translator:
73TOALLHAMRADIOREADERS
http://morsecode.scphillips.co.....lator.html

iAreNewb

Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:09 am

Hex is a possibility, though I really like the idea of a binary input system. Maybe an extra two buttons for enter and backspace (no labels though, I insist). If one uses hexadecimal and Unicode, this also allows for the option of non-English characters (special chars [[email protected]#$%^&*()<>,.;'"/?-_=+{}|\/`] and other languages).

kg6wox

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:29 pm

tnelsond said:

> Wouldn"t it be cool to put a small button on the R-Pi and use that for input in a Morse Code fashion?

Sure. Already done. Someone else put one together:

USB keyboard implemented using a Teensy 2.0 microcontroller for $20 from Adafruit. Input is done with a 2-button iambic morse code key and translated to USB keyboard codes. It just looks like a keyboard to the OS.

http://www.nycresistor.com/201.....-keyboard/

I hurriedly built one, but haven't really had time to go back and add more characters or even play with it much.

Official Morse code is a much smaller character set than ASCII. You need to use an extended version of Morse, such as those used by adaptive puff-and-sip interface devices.

Regards, kg6wox

johnbeetem

Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:39 pm

kg6wox said:

USB keyboard implemented using a Teensy 2.0 microcontroller for $20 from Adafruit. Input is done with a 2-button iambic morse code key and translated to USB keyboard codes. It just looks like a keyboard to the OS. 
Thank you for mentioning iambic Morse code keyers.  They're a much faster way to enter Morse code, and most non-hams have have no idea they exist.  I've heard that with a little practice they're a lot faster than those silly little QWERTY keyboards on "smart" phones that you see teen-agers clicking away at so intently these days.

TheCrazyInventor

Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:25 am

Decoding morse is easy. I've build a morse code decoder on a simple 8 bit microcontroller some time ago. It can decode morse from a morse key or from an audio signal (some analog magic to get nice dits and dahs). To decode morse, you use a running average of the dit/dah time and use that to differentiate between the two.

You can easilly hook up a button to the GPIO and write some python that times that button.

Also, whilest building the morse code decoder, I automatically learned morse aswell. I can send the entire alphabet if you want. Listening to it is a lot harder for me, especially when it's fast, but writing it is easy.
"Anything that can possibly go wrong, does" -M

fodi

Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm

well, someone should code gmail tap

bantammenace2012

Sat Jan 30, 2016 12:07 pm

I am making an iambic CW (Morse) code keyer out of Lego blocks, Lego sensor switches, a single LED and GPIOzero.
Essentially the keyer paddle (Lego) acts like a selector switch.
When touching to the left it closes a circuit to the LED which will continue blink the LED (the dits) until it is released.
When in its normal (spring-back position in the middle) it will do nothing.
When touching to the right it closes a circuit to the LED which will continue to blink the LED (the dahs) until its is released.
The LED is on for longer when its a dah then when its a dah.
I have a 40 pin GPIO RPi 2 and I would like to know how best to wire this up on a breadboard.
Is it a trivial matter to have what is essentialy two switches going to the same LED ?
Is there a simulator I can experiment on before potentially trashing my RPi or my LED ?

blaablaaguy

Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:29 pm

kg6wox wrote:tnelsond said:

> Wouldn"t it be cool to put a small button on the R-Pi and use that for input in a Morse Code fashion?

Sure. Already done. Someone else put one together:

USB keyboard implemented using a Teensy 2.0 microcontroller for $20 from Adafruit.

Regards, kg6wox
You might be able to use adafruit retrogame instead and skip the teensy
This signature intentionally left blank.

ElEscalador

Sat Jan 30, 2016 6:50 pm

Just going to throw out there that it'd be way easier to just use software for the iambic keying rather than building an iambic keyer. press the paddle to the left and it closes switch to one gpio pin that reads it as dits, press it to the left to close a different pin that the software reads as dahs. Sounds like a fun project.
Robotics tips, hacks, book extras https://youtube.com/practicalrobotics

bantammenace2012

Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:47 pm

I think I've got what you mean. The actual pin numbers here are just examples to differentiate between them.
When the left circuit is closed by the paddle then GPIO(17) goes High, otherwise its low.
When the right circuit is closed by the paddle then GPIO(22) goes High, otherwise its low.
The software is looking at the values on GPIO(17) and GPIO(22).
The LED is on GPIO(27) and depending on the value of GPIO(17) and GPIO(22) either blinks with a short flash, a long flash or nothing.

Return to “Off topic discussion”