liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Re: Some merchandising questions for you guys...

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:00 pm

I've been spending time this weekend sourcing merchandise. It suddenly struck me while sorting out what t-shirts to order once we're settled on a logo: how many (if any at all) women's t-shirts should I be looking at ordering initially? These things come in batches of 100, and from what I can make out, the only people posting on the message board who might need a woman's one are me, about two people with names which could be of either gender…and the cat, who isn't really into clothes.

Thoughts?

I'm also thinking about sizings for men's t-shirts. Eben's convinced none of you will take a small - or, that we'll sell fewer than 100 small ones over all time. I am more optimistic about the BMI of our board members - any smalls out there? (If nothing else, some of you will be buying t-shirts for teenagers, right?)
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:08 pm

Clothes sizing is a minefield - I'm sure there are standard centimetric size ranges for S to 5XL but I've found wide variations in the range for any individual size depending on the manufacturer. Its embarassing when you've picked up a number of garments in your "size" only to have to return some because "they're too small"! I hate to say this, but us blokes would probably need to have garments towards the larger end of the range...

I'd need

*whispers*

Ok? :-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

liz

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:11 pm

The base t-shirts will be made by Gildan, who are a fairly common manufacturer, so if you know you're a particular size with them you'll be OK.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Sep 03, 2011 9:11 pm

well you will need at least 7 women's. You weren't planning anything else ever again were you?

as for small, won't you want a stash for when you start getting the Raspi into the hands of the little hooligans in school?

MDC

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:19 pm

I don't know why people have such a negative opinion about people being on computers and being over weight.

http://www.google.co.uk/search......2.9-1l4l0

By the way I take a small.

L_J_S_23

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:19 pm

Are the women's tees going to be a different style (ie more tailored in at the waist / V-neck etc)? to the mens? If not then I'd imagine that you'd just need to make a few more XS, S, M sizes in the men's style to cater for female buyers.

I worked for a fashion company for years and the sort of size break that shops would buy t-shirts from us in would always be along the lines of;
XS:5, S:10, M:15, L:15, XL:10, XXL:5. That kind of thing anyway.
So for (what I imagine to be) the Raspi audience I'd go for a size break of something like:
XS:10, S:15, M:15, L:20, XL:20, XXL:10.

Hope that helps. Gildan shirts are great by the way, cool choice!

liz

Sat Sep 03, 2011 11:32 pm

Yeah - the ladies' tees are in a baby doll shape - more fitted at the waist, and bigger in the boobies. 8)

Unfortunately, I need to be buying each separate size in lots of 100. Who'd have thought this stuff was so complicated?

Chris Tyler

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:24 am

Hi Liz,

Here's a message about the shirts ordered for FUDCon Tempe last year, which might give you one data point for size ratios (seemed to be a fairly average mix of geeks there):

http://lists.fedoraproject.org.....02731.html

(I've ordered shirts for lots of events, and never heard of batch-of-100 requirements (?))

musicman121

Sun Sep 04, 2011 2:43 am

I'd be interested in one, myself, and I'd need a XXXL. I think you'd find that there would probably be enough of us to be worth ordering 100 of that size. Most people like their shirts kind of loose. Thanks.

abishur

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:10 am

I'm a medium, but I leave for a week long cruise tomorrow, so by the time I get back to civilization (and an internet connection) I might be up to a large!
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:14 am

Quote from abishur on September 4, 2011, 05:10
I'm a medium, but I leave for a week long cruise tomorrow, so by the time I get back to civilization (and an internet connection) I might be up to a large!

you mean we aren't worth spending the $3,000,000 per minute for on-board internet?

Blars

Sun Sep 04, 2011 5:44 am

Hopefully, the number of women interested will increase when the board ships and it gets more of an educational rather than experimenter following. In the various conventions I've been involved in, it seems that each has it's own mix of sizes. Debconf, in Bosnia this year, has the advantage of doing almost all online registration with an insentive for early registration, and one of the questions is t-shirt size. I was surprised at how many small and medium shirts I wound up handing out this year -- we also had a dozen or two women's sizes. There were around 500 shirts for the 350 attendees (staff and video team got an extra shirt.)
Hopefully you are getting an excelent discount -- the cheapest place I ever look into only required a dozen per size.

L_J_S_23

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:57 am

Quote from liz on September 4, 2011, 00:32
Yeah - the ladies' tees are in a baby doll shape - more fitted at the waist, and bigger in the boobies. 8)

Unfortunately, I need to be buying each separate size in lots of 100. Who'd have thought this stuff was so complicated?

You'd honestly be amazed how compicated! Try shipping footwear into America and filling in all the customs paperwork. It's insane.

But I digress, I'd go for half as many as the men's tees then. It's better to have women's tees in the baby doll shape. I'll buy TWO! one for my girlfriend and one for my daughter to grow into!

It seems a lot to have to buy each size in 100's at a time. (Unless that's getting you big discount of the cost of each garment and all part of your plan)

There's companies out there that I'm sure supply, print up and despatch your shirts as the orders come in.

I think these guys do it:
http://www.spreadshirt.co.uk
and I just spotted they do a neat Pi shirt!
http://www.spreadshirt.co.uk/p.....08A9114473

Also these guys (who do the oolite merch), i'm sure that's done in a similar way.
http://www.cafepress.co.uk/oolite

liz

Sun Sep 04, 2011 11:58 am

The batch of 100 requirement - well, it isn't really a requirement (there are other options), but it's by far the cheapest way for me to get them in bulk, and my hope is that we'll be selling a good number of t-shirts.

Thanks Blars - that's a very useful data point.

Cruises - I was reviewing a cruise ship a few weeks ago for my day job, and trying to moderate this site at the same time. WiFi worked, but only as long as the ship was travelling in a straight line. It didn't do much travelling in a straight line...

Blars

Sun Sep 04, 2011 10:18 pm

The actual list of t-shirt sizes for debconf 11 is at http://wiki.debconf.org/wiki/D.....1/T-Shirts
NumInPenta is the pre-con requested numbers. Arrived numbers are somewhat adjusted due to the Bosnian suppliers sizes not matching what we had gotten from our previous Mexican supplier.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 05, 2011 10:29 am

Quote from abishur on September 4, 2011, 05:10
I'm a medium..

Can you contact my Granny - I need to find the remote control.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

thekindladies

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:28 am

Liz, when you start selling the t-shirts, could you please also indicate the length of the t-shirt for each size (or at least the M and L sizes)? That would make ordering the right size a lot easier.

liz

Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:45 am

Eben has that problem with T-shirts too, being a tall chap. (So do I - I'm only 5'2", and often get swamped.) Noted - I'll make sure the measurements are on the web site.

Sander

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:13 pm

Liz, maybe a pre-release shirt for now: "I want a Raspberry Pi, but all I could get was this lousy T-shirt!"

;-)

Sander

Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:18 pm

And a more serious note: I now prefer slim-fit / tight-fit shirts. I measured the Abercrombie "muscle" shirt I'm wearing now: it's 55 cm wide (so 110 cm 'around'). I'm 1.93 meter and 87 kg.

Michael

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Okay, so who's responsible for this? http://shop.cafepress.co.uk/raspberry-pi ;)
I was joking about the underwear http://www.cafepress.co.uk/+ra.....ar-panties

L_J_S_23

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:38 pm

Quote from Michael on September 5, 2011, 19:00
Okay, so who's responsible for this? http://shop.cafepress.co.uk/raspberry-pi ;)

Bootleg merch already!

jacoman

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:57 pm

I Am a Teenager!

liz

Mon Sep 05, 2011 7:25 pm

Quote from Michael on September 5, 2011, 19:00

Christ almighty - I wonder who put that up? Very annoying - frankly, we could use that revenue ourselves for the charity. Not to worry, I suppose; Cafe Press is horrid, and we'll have official merch with the official logo next month. This is not to say I'm not pissed off, though.

ETA I've checked their IP policy - wheels being set in motion to get that stuff taken down from Cafe Press.

yoonsikp

Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:04 pm

Just wondering, whose log is that?

Return to “Off topic discussion”