langlo94

Re: How many would you make?

Mon Sep 05, 2011 2:55 pm

One thing that you could do is add a simple app on the front page where the visitors could choose how many they would like to buy, seperate counters for A and B of course. This would be a simple and noncommiting way of finding out how many you should have.

Archangel5089

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:00 pm

What is the lead time on production? If you sold short would people be waiting that long for their boards?

I would definitely pre-order if it were available.

Lakes

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:00 pm

There could be a scramble to buy the first ones! :)

How do you decide how many to make of each board though?
50/50?

DragonGame

Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:36 pm

Why not take pre-orders without charging upfront? Just like they do over at kickstarter. I would place an order and as soon as you can ship you charge the credit card and send it out. That way you would get a good estimate.

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 05, 2011 5:49 pm

We're not taking pre-orders because there's no financial motivation for us to do so, and our initial batch has to be 10k for reasons we've discussed elsewhere; the extra data isn't helpful for us and simply causes us more administrative work.
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Archangel5089

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 am

Quote from liz on September 5, 2011, 18:49
We're not taking pre-orders because there's no financial motivation for us to do so, and our initial batch has to be 10k for reasons we've discussed elsewhere; the extra data isn't helpful for us and simply causes us more administrative work.

You're going to get bored of saying that by the end of this thread! To be fair the layout of the forum means I somehow manage to miss extra pages, think this is the third times I've randomly commented on posts from the first page without realizing!

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:49 am

Quote from Archangel5089 on September 6, 2011, 09:16
Quote from liz on September 5, 2011, 18:49

You're going to get bored of saying that by the end of this thread! To be fair the layout of the forum means I somehow manage to miss extra pages, think this is the third times I've randomly commented on posts from the first page without realizing!

I'm always missing the extra pages too - think it could be fixed by someone changing the CSS's for the page, but I'm no HTML dude - if anyone out there knows how to move the page indicators further up (or repeat them at the top of the page), please get in touch!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

jacoman

Tue Sep 06, 2011 11:16 am

I Think Releasing model Bs First (Nov) and then releasing the Model Bs Later is a Good Idea.
If being released at same time 2000/8000 is a good idea. Long And Short:
first release aimed at hobbyists
hobbyists want ethenet and lots of ram

emercer

Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:35 pm

I believe the 10k run is quite enough (if not excessive). I would do them 6.5k model Bs / 3.5k model As and the next batch of revised boards (models C, D and E?) could be manufactured before the initial batch runs out. I also believe the investment in embedding wi-fi on a revised higher-end model will prove quite successful, if not quite cheap.

liz

Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:19 am

Quote from emercer on September 6, 2011, 22:35
I believe the 10k run is quite enough (if not excessive). I would do them 6.5k model Bs / 3.5k model As and the next batch of revised boards (models C, D and E?) could be manufactured before the initial batch runs out…(snip)

Very unlikely - at the moment it looks like initial sales are going to be pretty big, and we're not planning to start development on later models for a while yet.

iAreNewb

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:33 am

Development on Model C starting in summer next year would be awesome. Hopefully, with more backing and experience from Model A/B, the next revision would be pushed out to production more quickly. With a 6-8 month window after A/B, C would probably be welcome and feasible. Since hardware is constantly advancing, $25 might not be reasonable after a full year, and development time does have to be taken into consideration. 8 months after initial sales begin, and then 6 months of development, would be 14 months after initial sales, during which time it is likely that parts for A/B are sold for lower prices and/or discontinued.

It's definitely too early for major revisions directly after the initial run. While I still feel 10K is somewhat excessive, rapid release cycles definitely should not apply to hardware, which requires an entirely new purchase to "update." Plus, I don't see the advantage is developing new models when the first two have barely begun to sell, and therefore there is not enough incentive to upgrade, nor very much customer feedback to work with.

jamesh

Thu Sep 08, 2011 8:08 am

I think as long as the upgrade path is there (i.e. same code works on each subsequent board, which it should), then the very low cost of the device means people will upgrade fairly quickly once new devices come out. I'm talking the hobby side rather than 3rd world teaching side here. And of course once you upgrade you can donate the old device.....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Chris Tyler

Thu Sep 08, 2011 12:40 pm

I think we should have a betting pool on how long it takes to sell out the first 10k; the winner gets their Pi autographed by the foundation board or something. At first I was estimating a very short time, but then realized that I forgot to take into account the fact that the order-taking webservers will get slammed and go down almost immediately :-O

mahin

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:02 pm

Seems to me the production size is pretty much fixed due to components supply constraint and the persistent clarifications by Liz. Only thing un-decided could be mix of A's and B's which I am getting the impression will also be determined by component supplier not clients till next year.

While 10K seem a lot but is it nothing if availability is ensured in Asia and other more populated regions of the world. This supply from UK is not going to work [ higher costs, longer shipping time,etc.etc.] as it did not worked in past so I do not see any reason for it working now.

With no pre-order there should be a poll for indication of interest +number + Country created by modifying some polling software with identity [ required ] but not made public. This will not involve any admin work Liz is so much concerned about but will give some number to plan for logistics at the time of launch.

Well there is not much time if nothing is done, it is only a matter of ten weeks when like water flood the orders will carve out their way like any flood water does if there are no channels.

Just waiting for the flow to start :)

liz

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:01 pm

Because we're limited to that 10k, we're probably going to use that initial batch as our test-case for where boards are going and in what numbers - and we'll be assuming lower sales later on, when the furore has died down. I'm pretty confident that 10k is a good (and possibly insufficiently large) number - we've had several requests in the hundreds and some in the thousands from certain countries' education departments, some university networks, schools all over the world and charities - add the hobbyist community to this and you've got a recipe for a really unpleasantly busy few weeks for us!

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:50 pm

better start training Mooncake to write address labels and which route she should use to go to the post office pulling a little red wagon.

ffuentes

Mon Sep 12, 2011 12:48 am

Beagleboard.org say they have made, distributed and sold 200 units/week pretty consistently since launch, that works out to roughly 10k/year. Its really hard to guess, but if R.Pi ended up shifting 10x that, I wouldn't be surprised.

And the beagleboard is so expensive in relation.

Emanuele

Mon Sep 12, 2011 6:58 am

I'd consider starting to limit the number of units to max 2-3 per order once 8K-9K are sold. This should have minimal impact on cash flow, but let more hobbyists get their device quickly.

tonygo2

Sun Sep 18, 2011 11:00 am

10,000 appears to be a good starting number. I feel the B would be most useful to start with. Further sales will will be very high if the initial sales are shown to be very easy to set up initially. I've looked at the biginners wiki and feel that looks rather difficult for a 12 year old who has no experience of programming. I hope it will be as simple as a old BBC micro -- connect it all up, tuen it on and get at least a command prompt to take it simple programming language such as BASIC (without GOTO) or a cut down version of C. Follow up sales will be based on feedback from early users. Local help groups/clubs were very useful to help many to bought BBCs early on.

ckuehnel

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:13 am

Is the date for first delivery known now?

mat80c

Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 am

I think we will know in the first week which way things are going.
It’s more than likely that people who intend to order lots, for teaching or commercial projects, will be ordering test pi’s for development of syllabus and products. So bulk orders for these types of situations will probably not appear for a few months. (ie second batch).
However that being said I have a sneaking suspicion that the computer department at the University of Cambridge, may well be in line to order a few pi’s at launch and this may help accelerate the pi’s demand for teaching.
Also this project has a much higher profile than the beagle board. If it gets TV coverage you could be looking at a Buzz light-year experience pretty quick.. doesn’t one of the directors own a manufacturing fab?

abishur

Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:22 pm

The delivery date is still the Q4 of this year. Right now, that is looking to mean like December.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Lakes

Wed Oct 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Final test run before full production?
I would guess sometime in December as well.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:17 pm

If orders are fulfilled in order of placement, then I suspect that the chances of getting one of the first 10k will be down to a matter of chance, ie being actually here as it goes live or being online in general to receive notification of the release.

Given that there's now just 5 weeks to the beginning of December, I'd expect (holds wet finger in the air) product to be ready for shipping mid-month, just in time for the peak pre-Christmas rush! And I so wanted one for Christmas... :-)

Oh well.

Sit and wait. There's no point in rehashing all the arguments and controversies.

Ommmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Burngate

Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:29 pm

I've just noticed you're now well past 2500 forum members - 2745 as of now according to the forum front page. If the average "I'd buy ..." is close to 4 then you've effectively sold the first batch. That's not including all the lurkers, and anyone else who may have been promised some behind the scenes.
EDIT now 2747

Return to “Off topic discussion”