MDC

Re: Raspberry Pi in space

Fri Sep 02, 2011 2:57 pm

Would you be able to create some kind of satellite or rocket with the R-Pi inside. To be honest this whole thread could just be pie in the sky (or should that be Pi :P ).

I was inspired by this clip below and don't even have a clue how you would get an R-Pi to work in space.

Could it help an object get into space and/or be used in space.

[embed]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-e ... e-14753572[/embed]

Chris

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:49 pm

I seriously doubt someone would trust a £1 mil + rocket to be guided by a £25 educational device.

MDC

Fri Sep 02, 2011 3:58 pm

I wasn't thinking really about companies. I was more thinking about enthusiasts like in the link on my original post (college/university students) or like in the film The Astronaut Farmer (except not manned or that advanced).

liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:03 pm

We've actually had some interest from space companies (can't mention names) and from smaller outfits doing near-space stuff with balloons. It's beyond brilliant; just wish I could go up with the boards!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Svartalf

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:21 pm

Quote from liz on September 2, 2011, 17:03
We've actually had some interest from space companies (can't mention names) and from smaller outfits doing near-space stuff with balloons. It's beyond brilliant; just wish I could go up with the boards!

Little did you guys know that you'd be making a bit of a game changer like the Arduino has panned out to be... :-D

Svartalf

Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:24 pm

Quote from Chris on September 2, 2011, 16:49
I seriously doubt someone would trust a £1 mil + rocket to be guided by a £25 educational device.

Heh... That 25 bob device is more powerful, computationally than the on-board gear that figured in the Mercury, Gemini, Apollo and Space Shuttle programs. If it was rad-hard, it'd be more reliable, even.

Lakes

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:01 pm

People have sent mobile phones up with a weather balloon, there`s a "maker" youtube vid somewhere, so, I don`t see any reason why not.

Chris

Fri Sep 02, 2011 5:50 pm

"Fly me to the moon,
Let me sing among those stars.
Let me see what spring is like,
On jupiter and mars"

rickyjames

Thu Sep 08, 2011 2:36 am

The El Reg gang would almost certainly give your Rpi board a ride on their upcoming LOHAN, especially if you can make it do something nutty on the way up - or down.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2.....vulture_2/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2....._concepts/

http://forms.theregister.co.uk....._concepts/

Lob0426

Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:57 am

I do not know why not. It is simplified construction(comparded to most computers) seal it in a thin layer of epoxy. Wrap it it to shock proof it. Insulate it. Bring connectors out of this package and it is ready. The shuttle was flying on 8086 processors (8 bit). Each shuttle computer weighed 80 pounds and there were four of them. How many RasPii is there too 320 pounds?

The main problem is that there is really no comparable product to use opposed to the RasPi for fault tolerance. i.e. Each of the four computers was a different design by a different company with four different software versions. Reduces the likelyhood of single point failure. I guess a RasPi, a beagle board and a guruplug. lol. None in tbe same ball park!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Ben_P

Sun Sep 11, 2011 12:33 am

You've said you won't mention names so I won't ask but has broadcom gone though the rather furor testing (especially radiation testing) required for space applications for the SoC?

I know that this is a major barrier to entry for many products in space and why "space grade" stuff can cost several orders of magnitude more. Of coarse if the device is not mission critical then a space project may think that a small cheap low powered device in isolation might be able to do some cool little extra experiment/capture.

Kudos on being approached about it though it is very cool.

Lob0426

Sun Sep 11, 2011 1:55 am

Near space work will not require much as to radiation shielding. The lightweight and low price mean you could replace a RasPi each trip and not go broke. This would reduce total exposure to a manageable amount. A side benefit of this is you could sell the RasPi as a souvenir and get a lot more back than it cost to purchase it. I can see it now a RasPi in the air and space museum. lol
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

MDC

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:14 am

Radiation, would using something like a lead wrap around not protect it for space flight.

liz

Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:56 pm

We've not had any furor testing - I have to assume Van Allen belts are right out, and I suspect that nobody in their right mind would suggest sending something like our little board out into deep space. I do not like the idea of hard radiation environments.

That said, near-Earth stuff is nothing like as hostile, radiation-wise, as you might think. God, I'm such a geek.

MDC

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:36 pm

Quote from liz on September 11, 2011, 22:56
We've not had any furor testing - I have to assume Van Allen belts are right out, and I suspect that nobody in their right mind would suggest sending something like our little board out into deep space. I do not like the idea of hard radiation environments.

That said, near-Earth stuff is nothing like as hostile, radiation-wise, as you might think. God, I'm such a geek.

Yeah, but it would be one hell of a selling.

R-Pi as used in space. You could market it like those foam mattresses (as used by NASA). Also don't for get there are people not in there right mind on this forum.

8-)

amiga65

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Call it a moon pi.

MDC

Sun Sep 11, 2011 11:59 pm

I like the name space cake better

rickyjames

Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:15 am

Oh, my - if a Rpi makes it into space, here is another vote for moon pi. The real Moon Pie is a widely beloved traditional American South treat that has been baked for almost a century now just down the road from the town where I grew up. Best enjoyed with an equally legendary carbonated beverage called RC Cola.

http://moonpie.com/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moon_Pie
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RC_Cola
http://nashville.about.com/cs/.....oonpie.htm

As an aside, Liz, I have checked your (totally delightful) blog and see you are quite the culinary connoisseur. In all seriousness, if you've never had a Moon Pie and an RC Cola, I would be quite willing to send some across the pond to you for your evaluation. I would be quite curious to see if you thought the combo was absolutely heavenly, or just very, very good. There is, of course, no third possibility....

liz

Mon Sep 12, 2011 4:20 pm

I'm in California for most of the next four weeks - I shall try to hunt down moon pies and RC cola. Hurrah for high fructose corn syrup.

Andre_P

Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:01 pm

Hmm Radiation Hardened Silicon. The problem will not necessarily be down to the 'core' (however as the ARM is a latch based design you might have problems). The main problem would be the DDR2 memory. It's still based on transistors holding a charge (like a capacitor). An incoming cosmic ray has the effect of discharging the 'capacitor' and thus losing memory.
SRAM while larger doesn't necessarily have the same problem.
Assuming you are entering a strong enough 'beam' of neutrons you may be get physical structure change to the crystal lattice which would cause issues (bizzarely it might even make it go faster, look up traps :) ).
Some of the very deep sub micron processes are now finding that the silicon boules being made still have enough 'radioactivity' to cause concerns.
Personally, and this is semi tongue in cheek, you could spray the board with WD40 and then pop it into a water container. Don't know enough to work out the dosage but hey for a very British approach it would be perfect :).

MDC

Tue Sep 13, 2011 12:03 am

Don't know enough to work out the dosage but hey for a very British approach it would be perfect .

It would. Quietly working away night after night in the garden shed, toiling away. Then one day you come out the shed and you have finished and you have completed something brilliant, following in the same foot steps of some of the greatest discoveries/inventions of there time.

Hell, why not a rocket, at least you could say you tried.
8-)

Return to “Off topic discussion”