ikookal

Re: Skype on RPi?

Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:53 am

AcerExtensa wrote: SkypeKit is actually a daemon and you can code your client in many languages... Building daemon for daemon will be just waste of RPi resources and how do you imagine support for many languages? Plugin system with language interpreters for RPi? I don't think this will work well and smooth enough... And what about Video Calls? How do you imagine transition of video streams to plugins?
as i said earlier i havent gotten my hands dirty yet and havent even registered for a skypekit yet so i haven't got a really clear image of the possibilities of a the provided daemon.

I though mainly about full command line control so simple bash command can control the entire program. commands which are later easy to "simulate " in a gui layer.
$ skype answer <contactname> <video:false>
$ skype call <contactname> <video:true>
$ skype listcontacts
etc.

another option i could see happening is to literaly copy the way MPD works.
accepting a set of commandos on a certain port (if i recall correctly in case of MPD thats 6600)

$ echo answer_contactname_false | nc localhost 1234
$ echo call_contactname_true | nc localhost 1234
$ echo listcontacts | nc localhost 1234

etc.

i think at least having command line control in one way or the other would make things a lot more flexible to adapt to different platforms and userneeds.

AcerExtensa

Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:37 am

I though mainly about full command line control so simple bash command can control the entire program. commands which are later easy to "simulate " in a gui layer.
This will be implemented in RPC. You can then use it from every environment you like(bash script, javascript, python, php etc...)... What is the reason for separate CLI control which can be only used from shell environment, but needs more resources to be implemented(CLI should run in separate daemon. Same event loop will slow main app. Daemon + main app should communicate with each over <- this(and more) costs system resources which we don't really have to provide...) and system resources to run???

I think especially in case of Skype for RPi, CLI is outdated and useless.

ikookal

Mon Jul 23, 2012 12:27 pm

I think the main benefit of a command line solution is that it would allow for use in headless systems without the need to run xvfd,

I think,due to the restricted processing power of the RPI, there will be a substantial group of RPI users which will use their RPI as some sort of (headless) server / device.

(in this case video would ofcourse be disabled or maybe displayed by directly messing with the framebuffer)

AcerExtensa

Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:26 pm

I think the main benefit of a command line solution is that it would allow for use in headless systems without the need to run xvfd,
Which benefit has CLI in front of RPC??? Tell me at least one of them...
I think,due to the restricted processing power of the RPI, there will be a substantial group of RPI users which will use their RPI as some sort of (headless) server / device.
Where is command line interface for SkypeKit in SkypeSDK which can be used.

We a trying to create client similar to existing clients for Windows/Linux/Mac/Andoird what most users want, so please stop this nonsense...

You are very welcome to create client for such rare use cases.

Vortex

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm

I would help with the development but my knowledge of QT as about as much as Scrooge would donate to charity *silch* :(

AcerExtensa

Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:54 pm

No problem, maybe you can help with "Remote Control" app for Android/iOS/WebApp?
Or maybe you can plan RPC protocol, something simple like REST with plain text or simple XML?
I have also not started yet with voicepcm and videortp modules for SkypeKit, you can take a look in Skype SDK for examples too.

spocchio

Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:03 pm

Hi to all,
if I may I suggest, you could take a cue from the RPC system of Transmission (the bittorrent client).

It has a JSON-RPC (really easy to use also without any client) via HTTP.
the client is a HTTP (so you can access it by remote too) web site (no php or something else) which communicate with the server with AJAX (html handles very well json).

The protocol is really simple, if interested, i suggest you to read these specs: http://json-rpc.org/wiki/specification .

AcerExtensa

Mon Aug 06, 2012 6:43 am

Hi to all, sorry for long delay, was fishing in Scandinavia...

@spocchio
JSON-RPC and XML-RPC was always a first choice for me....

ghans

Thu Aug 23, 2012 7:11 pm

Any news ?

ghans
• Don't like the board ? Missing features ? Change to the prosilver theme ! You can find it in your settings.
• Don't like to search the forum BEFORE posting 'cos it's useless ? Try googling : yoursearchtermshere site:raspberrypi.org

AcerExtensa

Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:33 am

Sorry I'm on vacation till 9 September and don't have my RPi with me... Can only play with QML gui on my netbook at this time...

Here is some screenshots and templates for GUI:
1. Login screen:
http://vip2006.net/skype_rpi.jpeg

2. Contact list with Kinetic Scrolling:
http://vip2006.net/skype_rpi1.jpeg
http://vip2006.net/test-0001.mpeg

3. Template animation for widget with Contact information for selected contact/chat widget/audio & video call
http://vip2006.net/test-0000.mpeg

Sorry for pure video quality, Video capturing on my netbook makes it very slow, on RPi scrolling and animation are smooth enough.

Yachtsman25

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:02 pm

I don't thinks M$ will be able to roll out an edition quickly for a R PI like device with 192MB RAM, 700Mhz CPU unless someone could port Windows CE unless it's already on the go

Yachtsman25

Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:09 pm

but funny every good idea turns out to be something they have been working on for years and claim it's actually there intellectual property

ikookal

Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:58 pm

any news here?

Ömer Mert Eksioglu

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:12 pm

I couldn't get invited into SkypeKit developer program. I am getting "thanks for your interest - you’ll receive an email when we are ready to invite you into the program" thing for 4 weeks now. Dough I can download other APIs but not SkypeKit.

Could anyone with SkypeKit access send me an invitation over skype developer program?

tgee

Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:10 pm

anishry

Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:49 am

Some want to help integrating Skype into XBMC ?
http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=123620
and figure the licensing issues ?

Return to “Off topic discussion”