na1pir

Re: A13-OLinuXinoi

Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:51 pm

Hi! I' we just got email from Farrell that my R-pi should arrive in 2 weeks time… I can't wait… Peripherals are all packed and awaits for this little super computer But then I asked myself: "What is next?" My first Linux arm computer was kindle(you would be surprised what you can run on it), second imx53 qsb, then android cell and now little raspberry pi is arriving. But what is next?

And then I saw a tweet from olimex, and apparently they are developing super cheap arm computer based on upcomming Allwinner A13 Cortex A8 tqfp cpu. I think this will be as powerful as my imx53 qsb, but as cheap as raspberry pi.

sources:

http://olimex.wordpress.com/

http://www.olimex.com/dev/a13-.....uxino.html

psergiu

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:19 pm

It looks good on paper.

Let's wait for Tsvetan to finish the iMX233 OLinuXino first.

Then let's hope they'll have no readblocks with Linux and the required drivers.

Yay! More cheap computers for everybody !

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:12 am

Not sure how they can get the BOM down that far. I guess they don't have many connectors which do cost a lost (no HDMI out that I could see for example). But that said, nice bit of kit if they can do it for the price.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

hippy

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:01 pm

psergiu said:

Absolutely. It looks like there's going to be a battle soon in the cheap Linux box market arena and that can be no bad thing; the better the match of board capabilities to what people want the better for everyone.

My only concern is, if people hold-off to see what emerges before deciding on what's best for them, no one ends up buying anything and the entire sector collapses in on itself before it even gets going

jamesh

Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:51 pm

hippy said:

psergiu said:

Absolutely. It looks like there's going to be a battle soon in the cheap Linux box market arena and that can be no bad thing; the better the match of board capabilities to what people want the better for everyone.

My only concern is, if people hold-off to see what emerges before deciding on what's best for them, no one ends up buying anything and the entire sector collapses in on itself before it even gets going

Hopefully the ultra cheapness of these devices mean people can just buy them anyway, and won't hold off.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Piw32

Thu May 31, 2012 10:45 pm

jamesh wrote:Not sure how they can get the BOM down that far. I guess they don't have many connectors which do cost a lost (no HDMI out that I could see for example). But that said, nice bit of kit if they can do it for the price.
There is no HDMI because the A13 is a cutdown version of the A10, the HDMI feature has been removed to lower final BOM (the chip itself is only $1 cheaper)

Return to “Off topic discussion”