teh_orph

Re: Ubuntu 12.04

Thu Apr 26, 2012 10:51 pm

Hello guys,

just wondering if anyone else has tried the new Ubuntu 12.04 yet. I've been having a go this evening (I'm a big fan of 10.04) but have not had good experiences!

I have 'normal' hardware in my PC and know how to debug kernel panics etc etc (part of my job...) but am just stumped so far. Basically I've had two hard locks in the last half an hour whilst web browsing and eventually after getting bored waiting for it to un-lock I have to reboot the machine with the reset switch. Post-reboot the file system is corrupted and unbootable!

The thing had been running for only an hour
And seriously, if one unplanned reboot is enough to corrupt the filesystem (/boot was totally busted) then I'd never be able to depend on the system. The hard disk light was not flashing when it rebooted. This machine is solid as a rock with Win7.

I was looking forward to this new version.

Any thoughts?!

(NB: I'm not looking to recover the filesystem as I could just reinstall it from scratch)

grumpyoldgit

Fri Apr 27, 2012 7:09 am

I tend to leave Ubuntu upgrades at least a month or two before stepping in so that it has a change to bed down. However much software is beta tested there will always be issues.

Lob0426

Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:45 pm

When I first registered in this forum last August I think Ubuntu was 10.04 and now it is at 12.04? Not really much time in between releases for anything to settle down!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

na1pir

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:27 pm

Ubuntu is on 6 months release cycle, and every 2 years there is a long term support release which gets 3 years of support for desktop versions and 5 years for server. I we used all versions from 4.10 to 12.04 and I must say that they came a long way in the mean time. So in august last year there was 11.04 and not 10.04 (an between them 10.10). And after 11.04 in October / November 11.10.

Alongside opensuse, ubuntu and especially its subdistros (xubuntu/lubuntu/kubuntu) are a distro of (my) choice. Pretty much because everything just works (and since 6.10 doesn't break that easily). Well if ubuntu doesn't do well on your PC try Linux Mint. It is compatible with ubuntu. And if that doesn't work maybe you have some problems with your hardware. Or maybe just partition table on your hard drive.

grumpyoldgit

Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:49 pm

I think the OP is trying to say that he didn't have any problems with his existing release, 10.04 but had issues with the upgrade. Upgrading the day a new release comes out is quite brave so it may be an idea to search for your particular hardware on the Ubuntu forum. I have an old Dell Optiplex and with new releases there have been issues with graphics in the past. (Still not 100% OK now). Even googling his hardware and the word Ubuntu is going to get him a lot more response than coming on here.

teh_orph

Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:26 pm

I decided to give it another go... Weirdly it seems that my filesystem was not corrupt after all! Originally, post reboot I would only get kernel panics about initramfs being corrupt.

But waiting a day has magically repaired the boot partition! I've instead tried running via a different SATA controller and I've had no hard locks. It's still pretty sluggish though, and I keep finding GUI bugs - that I can live with though. A few more weeks of polish should fix them.

Just for info this is a brand new install on a blank disk. My 10.04 install is still chugging away on my Atom box in the corner

FYI the motherboard I have is: http://www.asus.com/Motherboar.....56/P7P55D/

Weirdly it's the Intel controller that gave me the grief. The normally-ropey JMicron controller is doing fine!

na1pir

Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:46 am

Total world domination is proceeding as planned=)

Kernel

Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:57 pm

I saw a news article about the new version which pointed out that it doesn't work on Raspi - not good publicity for them!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Apr 29, 2012 8:10 am

Kernel said:

I saw a news article about the new version which pointed out that it doesn't work on Raspi - not good publicity for them!

Given the amount of memory hungry stuff that goes into the latest versions of Ubuntu, its not surprising that Canonical only want to support X86 and recent (eg multicore) iterations of ARM with lots of RAM.  We know that the last version of Ubuntu that supported the Raspberry Pi chip was 9.04; now we've all got fair warning that this situation is not going to change.

It IS good publicity, it states the position and helps prevent disappointment in the future.

I'm currently running 11.04 on my desktop.  When that falls off the support map at the end of this year, I'll be looking for something other than Ubuntu to replace it.  I don't like the way they are trending so not having Ubuntu available on the Pi won't be a great disappointment.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

bobc

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:27 am

Jongoleur said:

I'm currently running 11.04 on my desktop.  When that falls off the support map at the end of this year, I'll be looking for something other than Ubuntu to replace it.  I don't like the way they are trending so not having Ubuntu available on the Pi won't be a great disappointment.

I am a long time Ubuntu user, but have jumped ship to Linux Mint. Works well for me so far.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:30 am

I'm a long term user of Ubuntu, and I'm staying with it. I quite like Unity (still got some rough edges), and it does everything I want, so I see no point in changing.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Kernel

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:09 pm

Jongoleur said:

It IS good publicity, it states the position and helps prevent disappointment in the future.
Good for Pi users but not for Canonical - when people using the pi who don't use linux on their desktop decide to try it there they are less likely to choose Ubuntu and go with whatever runs on their Pi possibly

bobc

Sun Apr 29, 2012 3:28 pm

JamesH said:

I'm a long term user of Ubuntu, and I'm staying with it. I quite like Unity (still got some rough edges), and it does everything I want, so I see no point in changing.

Can you think of any other reasons for not changing?

jamesh

Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:12 pm

bobc said:

JamesH said:

Well, I have a completely working system that does (almost) everything I want, looks good, runs fast.  If I install something else can that be guaranteed? Will it be 'better'?

I also believe that Canonical and Shuttleworth have done an enormous amount to make Linux accessible to the general public (i.e. me), so I'm happy to continue to use their product - they deserve a little devotion/dedication if only for that.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

Derragon

Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:23 pm

[Snipped]

My post was irrelevant to the OP's question, so I've removed it. Sorry!

bobc

Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:02 pm

JamesH said:

bobc said:

JamesH said:

Well, I have a completely working system that does (almost) everything I want, looks good, runs fast.  If I install something else can that be guaranteed? Will it be 'better'?

I also believe that Canonical and Shuttleworth have done an enormous amount to make Linux accessible to the general public (i.e. me), so I'm happy to continue to use their product - they deserve a little devotion/dedication if only for that.

Hmm, so you haven't tried anything else so don't actually know what might be better, and your preference is based on loyalty rather than technical merit. In other circles you could easily be labelled a "fan boy"

RaTTuS

Tue May 01, 2012 7:52 am

I used to use Slackware for everything

easy to setup

you knew where to get things etc ...

but then I had a need of using 64 bit stuff so I moved to black and white 64 [a report of slackware] this was good but I had a need for some harder to configure packages an we had some debian systems at work where they just worked...

I however found that I didi not get along with debian for some reason ..

but I tried Ubuntu live to get a machine sorted and was very impressed how it managed to solve a few issues ... so i started moving to ubuntu for my general systems

Unity has given me problems with the display on some systems but you can easily re-configure to another desktop manger ...

the change from slackware to debian is much bigger than ubuntu to fedora or visa vesa
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh

Tue May 01, 2012 9:23 am

bobc said:

JamesH said:

bobc said:

JamesH said:

Hmm, so you haven't tried anything else so don't actually know what might be better, and your preference is based on loyalty rather than technical merit. In other circles you could easily be labelled a "fan boy"

Although I haven't tried anything else (In linux space anyway), I am perfectly happy with what I have now - it's technical merit, for me, is fine. In effect I have no incentive to change, because it all works so well. I'm sure there probably are features from other distro's that are better, but I don't need them.

But I disagree with Fanboy. Just because you are happy with a product, and are happy to recommend it, doesn't make you a fan boy. For example, I have a Honda Civic. It's a great car, it's does 182k miles, engines still quiet and it does nearly 40mpg. I recommended a Honda to my mother on the strength of that car. Other cars have more technical merit, undoubtedly, cars I haven't tried. But that Civic does everything I need and to change it, just because I can, would be silly. Am I a Honda Fanboy? Or just a happy user?

grumpyoldgit

Tue May 01, 2012 10:09 am

I upgraded my two main PCs to Lubuntu 12.04 and Ubuntu 12.04 from the existing 11.10 versions this morning. The Ubuntu upgrade went through without any problems and seems fine. I had previously chosen the Gnome front end as I did not get on with Unity. Also my hardware is rather decrepit and gnome is a little smoother.

I have dual booting with Windows XP using Grub. During the upgrade I was asked whether to retain the existing Grub settings, which I did. I have tested that I can boot into Ubuntu and Windows XP.

I set my PCs to auto-login and with Ubuntu this has worked fine. With Lubuntu there has been a problem since the upgrade. It asked for a password on the first boot. I have checked this out and quite a few people have the same problem. I have change the setting in Users so my password is not asked for but the login process stops at the user choice menu waiting for a keypress. I am still looking into it. Various suggestions about making changes to config files have not yet worked.

All in all, not an issue so am happy with the upgrade so far. LibreOffice is still the default office application but I think on the audio side they have moved from Banshee back to Rhythmbox.

rmm200

Tue May 01, 2012 2:12 pm

I am running 4 copies of Ubuntu 12.04. One general, one Raspberry Pi, one RepRap, and one Android. This is under VMWare on a Vista 64 PC.

Dedicated images keep them small enough to run off a USB image under VMPlayer. Handy for moving to different computers.

12.04 installed cleanly for me. Looks good so far.

spytfyre

Wed May 23, 2012 10:06 pm

I'm running 12.04 on an old Dell netbook and it took to the machine easily and even made the wifi start working after an easy download while running in older version from the boot menu

What I need to know is if there is a different version of the 12.04 image I should download for my Pi which I am now told has been despatched and is on it's way to me

grumpyoldgit

Wed May 23, 2012 10:25 pm

spytfyre wrote:I'm running 12.04 on an old Dell netbook and it took to the machine easily and even made the wifi start working after an easy download while running in older version from the boot menu

What I need to know is if there is a different version of the 12.04 image I should download for my Pi which I am now told has been despatched and is on it's way to me
Ubuntu will not run on the Pi. The recommended distro is Debian, configured for the Pi and which can be found on the Downloads page.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads

jamesh

Thu May 24, 2012 1:30 am

My 12.04 Ubuntu is working really well. Starting to like the HUD as well, which I wasn't expecting.
Also have it on a USB stick for emergencies with my work laptop. Good job too as I'm at the US office for 10 days and my laptop died on the second day! Stick kept me going until IT fixed the problem (the problem being - Windows 7 is crap at suspending on to an SSD, by the look of it)

spytfyre

Thu May 24, 2012 1:57 pm

thanks grumpyoldgit - I knew it was a stupid question
Thing is I'm sure I saw a link at the top of the downloads page one day for an ubuntu distro, clicked on it and it started downloading something in the region of 266MB verrry verrrry slowly
then the power cord got pulled out of the back of the laptop...

Lob0426

Fri May 25, 2012 6:33 pm

12.04 gave me fits on the Panda Board when I tried to install OMAP extras. I went back to 11.10. I think the problem with 12.04 was that an item in the upgrades was fighting the OMAP extras. On 11.10 I installed the extras before any upgrades and they went in with only a little bit of fight. Most of my problems have been at /etc/apt/sources.list. The version in 11.10 only has 3 entries and 12.04 is full of crap. I have not brought the emachines netbook up to 12.04 yet but I really do not expect any trouble with it. It installed two earlier versions of Ubuntu (10.04, 10.10 and now 11.10 upgrade) without a hitch. I run this dual boot with WIN7 basic.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “Off topic discussion”