Blars

Re: Embedding R-pi in a product

Sun Aug 28, 2011 6:41 pm

Would there be any objection to using R-pi in a low production volume product? I'd consider selling 100 in the first year a success, so designing my own board doesn't make sense. I've been looking at the various existing boards, and they all are too expensive, too power hungry, or lack available i/o. Usually all of the above, as well as being much larger than the R-pi.

Gert van Loo

Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:05 pm

Nothing against that. Just don't expect a 'volume rebate'. There are no volume rebates. We have cut everything to the bone, no spare, no fat, nothing extra left. If you are making a profit from the charity's work it would be no more then decent to give some donations.

iAreNewb

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:05 pm

It'd be counter-intuitive for there to be volume rebates, because the charity is meant to benefit those who can't afford more expensive (and similar) products. It's rather stupid to assume that those who could not afford more expensive computers would somehow benefit from a volume rebate, or tolerate even a slightly exaggerated price.

I don't doubt that many, many companies will eventually flock to using R-Pi as part of their products, perhaps adding casing, power, displays, extra connectivity, etc. Hopefully, the R-Pi's built-in expansion capabilities will drive people to include the R-Pi itself at its original price, and merely add other components at whatever competitive pricing they choose.

stuporhero

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:54 pm

I've got to say it's so tempting to stick one of these inside a "shell" with built in keyboard ala Spectrum/Amiga...

Blars

Sun Aug 28, 2011 8:58 pm

A price break was not expected, and I'd plan on giving a bit more. There would be tax breaks for me if the latter could be to a US non-profit, but I understand your project is small and just starting out so has not had the time or resources to think about becoming multi-national. Maybe in a few years.

Gert van Loo

Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:13 pm

We are planning international shipments from the start. (See Ebens comment about institutions asking for a 1000). The only 'issue' might be that we might not be able to supply everybody fast enough. I prefer that problem than investing a quarter of a million and being stuck with thousands.

Svartalf

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:16 am

Quote from Gert van Loo on August 28, 2011, 23:13
We are planning international shipments from the start. (See Ebens comment about institutions asking for a 1000). The only 'issue' might be that we might not be able to supply everybody fast enough. I prefer that problem than investing a quarter of a million and being stuck with thousands.

I'd rather have the former than the latter...and am familiar with both situations. :D

Svartalf

Mon Aug 29, 2011 1:17 am

Quote from Gert van Loo on August 28, 2011, 20:05
Nothing against that. Just don't expect a 'volume rebate'. There are no volume rebates. We have cut everything to the bone, no spare, no fat, nothing extra left. If you are making a profit from the charity's work it would be no more then decent to give some donations.

Heh... If I succeed with what I'm planning on, I'll be doing at least that much... ;)

Burngate

Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:29 am

Seems to me you need something like the OpenSource model adapted for hardware. Any add-ons can be charged for and profitted from, as can software to drive it, but the RasPi must be resold at cost. How you cope with buy-one-give-one in that model, I've no idea.

Bacan

Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:55 pm

Something else to put on your plate, no rush, maybe an answer sometime in Feb-April 2012 time frame.
How will you handle volume ordering and drop shipping to/for a single user. Asking for and looking forward to seeing your plans for handling repeat orders of multiple units; in 50, 100, 250, 500 and 1000 unit lots. Pricing is not the issue. Having a fixed unit price is fine. Making regular donations is a given and looking forward to a mutual support and endorsements arrangement. Knowing the schedule of delivery of units is critical for any business. Building my Business Plans for initial outreach to Charter, Private and public US School districts this afternoon.

Return to “Off topic discussion”