helpme

Are microwave oven food healthy?

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:13 pm

The microwave oven is a very convenient cooking tool. I have always been worried about whether microwave oven food is healthy. I would like to ask the engineers here, particularly those with microwave background, whether microwave oven food is healthy.

drgeoff

Re: Are microwave oven food healthy?

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:30 pm

If you are worried about radiation remaining in the food after cooking, your worries are groundless. It isn't the same kind of radiation as in nuclear radiation.

Food cooked in a microwave oven is no less healthy than the same food cooked in a conventional oven. It is the contents of the food that you should be worrying about.

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:36 pm

What the microwave does is make water molecules jiggle very fast, which results in the food getting warmer. As soon as the microwave is turned off, it's perfectly safe.

joan

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:47 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:What the microwave does is make water molecules jiggle very fast, which results in the food getting warmer. As soon as the microwave is turned off, it's perfectly safe.
Remember we are talking of a species that doesn't realise coffee may be hot.

Joe Schmoe

Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:51 pm

Heh heh - a Stella Liebeck reference. Best way to show you're a toad is to demonstrate that you don't understand that case at all. Well done, sir!
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

ShiftPlusOne

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:01 pm

joan wrote:
ShiftPlusOne wrote:What the microwave does is make water molecules jiggle very fast, which results in the food getting warmer. As soon as the microwave is turned off, it's perfectly safe.
:lol:

Burngate

Sun Aug 04, 2013 4:22 pm

I've been subsisting on microwaved ready meals for the last five years, and I haven't died yet.
I'll let you know if that changes.

morphy_richards

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:02 pm

Didn't they use a big microwave magnetron thingy in the Philadelphia experiment and accidentally transport a battleship to a parallel dimension?
Perhaps that's why they say you should never microwave an egg. It might just hatch into something you would never have expected.

cyrano

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:53 pm

I wouldn't worry about the food. I'd worry about the plastic containers the food is in being manipulated by that same species...

All microwaves I see are always on max. power. And nobody seems to have an idea how long they should heat the container or even if it is microwave suited.

RaTTuS

Mon Aug 05, 2013 12:59 pm

to the OP
yes,
as long as the food has been heated to the correct temp then there should be no issues if eating the food prepared in a microwave , conventional oven , laser treatment etc...
the main things to worry about are
1) the food itself [i.e. ingredients]
2) the container it is being heated in
3) the utensils you use to eat it with
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:59 am

If you know what real food actually is, a microwave oven won't make it bad as long as you don't overcook it to the point where you drive the moisture out and even burn it. If you're heating up some combination of organic chemicals mixed and formed to look like food by a giant conglomerate, and they're in a container they designed, then start preparing to probably contract cancer in your later years. Just make sure that whatever you eat, it's been heated to above boiling for at least five minutes to kill bacteria that may be present, even if it's bought frozen (you just don't know whether it's defrosted somewhere along the line).
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

aTao

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:22 am

I did hear someone say that microwaves kill (the spirit) of the food, but he also believes that we are going to evolve into dolphins.

However, the "spirit" of your food isnt too far fetched. It is becoming increasingly apparent that food health information is not quite the whole truth. Consider eggs and the propaganda that free range eggs have just as much cholesterol as battery farmed eggs. While this is true for total cholesterol what it does not address is that the cholesterol in battery eggs is oxidised and is the stuff that kills, whereas the cholesterol in free range eggs is the stuff that you body makes (about 7 times the amount that you eat) for essential tissue repairs.
BTW the best way to oxidise the cholesterol in an egg is to scramble it.

And.. dont microwave plain or un-cracked eggs, they will explode.

Thing to think about: Ants can survive being cooked in a microwave oven.
>)))'><'(((<

ShiftPlusOne

Mon Aug 12, 2013 6:51 am

aTao wrote: Thing to think about: Ants can survive being cooked in a microwave oven.
Ants don't survive being cooked in a microwave oven because they don't get cooked. The microwave rays are not evenly distributed, so they just run to the parts that are safe. That's why the thing rotates, otherwise you'd just have a few burnt patches on cold food.

morphy_richards

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:50 pm

I'd just like to point out I was only joking about eggs from parallel dimensions. By the way, you should never ever put a incandescent light bulb in a microwave either. No matter how much fun it is. Other no-nos include
Conkers.

Also its not a good idea to heat a mug of water (for tra/coffee) as it can occasionally become superheated and then boil explosively when you try to remove it.

That exhausts my microwave trivia.

rpdom

Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:58 pm

What about CDs and DVDs? They are very pretty if "cooked" for 3-4 seconds on full power, but don't smell too good. Also the likelihood of being able to read them afterwards is rather low.

(Don't try this at home kids)

[edit]
A friend of mine tried to microwave an egg once. He managed to fix the door back on the microwave eventually.

Thaddy

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:01 pm

Grmmmm, NO, factually wrong, depends on the size of the microwave: part of almost any water is Deuterium (heavy water). When shaken hard enough in a small enough container anything can happen :) But unlikely in the case of a normal microwave.
You can try this to scale at home but don't tell your parents beforehand: put an egg in the microwave and put it on full power for about a minute. Take your Pi Cam to film the effects. Make sure you know how to clean a microwave.

Thaddy

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:05 pm

rpdom wrote:What about CDs and DVDs? They are very pretty if "cooked" for 3-4 seconds on full power, but don't smell too good. Also the likelihood of being able to read them afterwards is rather low.

(Don't try this at home kids)

[edit]
A friend of mine tried to microwave an egg once. He managed to fix the door back on the microwave eventually.
Yeah, the egg. And the bulb. PLEASE try that at home! IT WON'T BREAK THE MICROWAVE! IF YOU DON'T LEAVE IT ON FOR MAX 1 MINUTE. Nowadays everything is forbidden even if it is fun.

Don't try to dry your dog in it, though. It will be dry and very very small and tough to eat. (The drying part is TRUE! some idiot in idiot land (colorland) did that and sued the microwave supplier......)

And a very very safe one: can you burn a candle without actually lighting it? (I Win)

subject to DUTCH law and ONLY to DUTCH law. No further guarantees.....Or warrantees or any responsability at all. When I did these things I was under age.
Last edited by Thaddy on Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.

morphy_richards

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:12 pm

When shaken hard enough in a small enough container anything can happen
I vaguely remember a story on the news some Yeats back about a kitchen that mysteriously exploded with enough force to take out most of the house. The source was traced back to the microwave oven but no one could explain why a microwave (with innocuous contents) could do that.

Until now? :shock:

Thaddy

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:29 pm

morphy_richards wrote: I vaguely remember a story on the news some Yeats back about a kitchen that mysteriously exploded with enough force to take out most of the house. The source was traced back to the microwave oven but no one could explain why a microwave (with innocuous contents) could do that.

Until now? :shock:
Maybe. I live in a country where cyclists only wear a helmet if they are a) a tourist or b) a professional cyclist during a race.....
And where it is perfectly legal to buy gunpowder without a license (2 parts charcoal - coarsely grained in the kitchen mixer -, 1 part disinfecting sulfur (the yellow powder from the chemists), one part meat conserving salts or the white flower foodsupply stuff you get on the side when you buy roses or a bit of any coarse and salty tasting - don't taste it if it is not coarse, that's most definitely dangerous - white powder found on any farm, basically all the same stuff). Here you go. To be on subject: anything you need to blow up your Pi, apart for the schematics to make it self-destruct ;)
I know worse. All from a very young age. Not liable.

cabe

Mon Aug 12, 2013 2:42 pm

I think we are all in agreement when I suggest that microwave bacon is the only thing you should be worried about. It's a waste of good bacon!

Jim Manley
Location: SillyCon Valley, California, and Powell, Wyoming, USA, plus The Universe

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:48 am

cabe wrote:It's a waste of good bacon!
That seems redundant - is there such a thing as bad bacon? :lol:
The best things in life aren't things ... but, a Pi comes pretty darned close! :D
"Education is not the filling of a pail, but the lighting of a fire." -- W.B. Yeats
In theory, theory & practice are the same - in practice, they aren't!!!

aTao

Tue Aug 13, 2013 6:17 am

Jim Manley wrote:
cabe wrote:It's a waste of good bacon!
That seems redundant - is there such a thing as bad bacon? :lol:
You bet there is, the "bargain" stuf from supermarkets, looks cheap till you realise its 50% salt water.

One thing you can do (relatively safely) with a standard microwave oven is make diamonds.
>)))'><'(((<

morphy_richards

Tue Aug 13, 2013 11:21 am

Something I don't get... Sometimes if you heat up something like a little plastic pot of soup... It says 'remove and loosely replace lid". If you do that , I've noticed on at least a couple of occasions the lid has been sucked back on tight after the cycle and there is a partial vacuum inside the pot (the lid is bulging down into the pot and a hiss when you open it)I don't really get how the lid gets sucked back in (warping plastic perhaps?)
But more perplexing, why after the lid gets sucked back on, does pressure decrease instead of building up and exploding?)
:?
(this has happened when the lid was placed directly back onto the rim but not pushed in. Now I always off set the lid marginally to create a physical air vent)

morphy_richards

Tue Aug 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Just figured it out. Steam. Steam is less dense than air (it rises) and creates a partial vacuum in the pot.
Glad we got that one sorted :oops:

Burngate

Tue Aug 13, 2013 4:27 pm

Well I thought it was because after the heat-cycle has finished, any steam left condenses back to water.

Return to “Off topic discussion”