drew.h

Re: Job opportunity

Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:42 pm

Hope you don"t mind me posting this here, but I"d expect the type of person we are looking for will spend more time on this forum than at the job centre.

We are looking for a full time programmer, must be keen and bright, qualifications not required.  You will be working for a small company with a good working environment.  Pay negotiable depending on experience.

The Job is located in Cark, Cumbria, not far from the train station so access to the Lancaster to Barrow train line would help.

If you get through to the interview stage you will be asked to bring along an existing project, demonstrate it and talk us through some of the code.

Our software is mainly data acquisition and analysis programs running under Windows, but there is also scope for firmware on micro controllers, such as dsPICs.

The type of skills that will help in this job are primarily C and C++ programming (at the moment we use BCB), maths and physics.  Chemistry and electronics (digital and analogue) will also help.

Please email your CVs to .

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:56 pm

[T]he original post  does contravene some UK jobs stuff, so I'm going to edit it so it doesn't. Sorry to OP, but dem's da lores.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Andre_P

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:30 am

Ok I"ve seen this post edit.
One thing I would be VERY cautious of would be the act of bringing in "code" and walking through it.
That I would suggest would break the NDA that an employee would have signed, actually dissecting it well that really does get alarm bells clanging. Also would the candidate be open to accusations of some form of IP theft ??
You can ask for personal project stuff but previous employment stuff no I would suggest.
I"ve been asked about previous project work but not expected to bring elements in.

SeanD

Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:37 pm

Andre_P said:

Ok I"ve seen this post edit.
One thing I would be VERY cautious of would be the act of bringing in "code" and walking through it.
That I would suggest would break the NDA that an employee would have signed, actually dissecting it well that really does get alarm bells clanging. Also would the candidate be open to accusations of some form of IP theft ??
You can ask for personal project stuff but previous employment stuff no I would suggest.
I"ve been asked about previous project work but not expected to bring elements in.

I had the same thought.  I have a friend who nearly lost his company when a candidate brought a near competitors source code to an interview to show off her skills.

Employment is a difficult subject in this day and age.  Unfortunately the large sums of money involved mean that it is an area where some individuals will try and exploit the system, giving a bad reputation to laws that are there to provide real protection.  As a "Supervisor" in the State of California and a manager of people in the UK and Germany I have to spend probably 4 or 5 hours a year refreshing on the applicable laws and we have an army of HR people who make sure the ads and processes run smoothly.

However the lesson that I have learned having personally hired in excess of 1,000 people in my career.  Never, ever let any kind of prejudice into the process beyond knowing what the skills are that are needed to do the job.  Not because it keeps you out of litigation, but because it gets you the best people.

Michael

Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:58 pm

I've scrubbed this post although to be honest it may be better if the OP refects on the comments and changes made to the original post and creates a new topic so this one can be deleted entirely.

Thanks to those that contributed to this topic and please don't take it personally if your contribution has been deleted.

drew.h

Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Sorry if I broke any laws with my original post.  I am posting this not in an official capacity, just to let the type of person who would do well in this job and get paid well have a chance.

The type of person we are after is quite specific.  We find people who are qualified for the job tend to think they are better than the job and won't listen to 22 years of experience.  The type of person we need is someone like I was 22 years ago, a geek, keyboard junkie, what ever you care to call me.  Spoon from DBPoweramp was a previous employee and I'm moving into more product design and management, so need someone like me (22 years ago) or Spoon (20 years ago) who can work with our software engineer and rewrite our products to work better in Windows Vista/7.

When I mentioned reviewing someones code I was thinking about hobby work, or even their GCSE project.

Perhaps someone with experience in employing people can help out, because our job centre advert is only attracting web programmers and painter/decorators. Our MD wrote it and its a bit cringe worthy.

Andre_P

Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:12 pm

Hi Drew.h,
You may wish to ask yourself the question
"Would I 20 years ago have listened to someone who has had 22/20 years experience while I have these great popping* ideas about writing SW ?"

Also I would suggest that maybe, just maybe, someone who is qualified to do the job may have an alternative perspective that is worth listening to even if you don"t completely agree with it. If you continuously ignore/stifle innovative thinking then any engineer worth their salt will depart.
If you employ someone who has no spark, always does the same and doesn"t contribute new ideas then I would suggest that that person would not be as useful as you hope.
Good Luck with the future hire.

* I have no idea what youth speak would be these days and don"t have the ability to ask a teenager for another 5 years.

Return to “Off topic discussion”