pauldow

Re: LOL - Toaster Oven Reflow Soldering BGA [moved]

Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:48 pm

I used to have an Apple iBook. The display failed, and I found out there was a recall on it because of a faulty soldered BGA. Unfortunately, mine didn't fail until the time expired when Apple would repair it. (Haven't bought another Apple product since.)

Took a small propane torch (not a flashlight) to the circuit with the improperly soldered BGA. Didn't fix it. Tried again with more heat. Still no good. Tried again with more heat. Oops, too much. I toasted it.

max1zzz

Re: LOL - Toaster Oven Reflow Soldering BGA [moved]

Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:07 pm

pauldow said:

I used to have an Apple iBook. The display failed, and I found out there was a recall on it because of a faulty soldered BGA. Unfortunately, mine didn't fail until the time expired when Apple would repair it. (Haven't bought another Apple product since.)

Took a small propane torch (not a flashlight) to the circuit with the improperly soldered BGA. Didn't fix it. Tried again with more heat. Still no good. Tried again with more heat. Oops, too much. I toasted it.

I did the same thing with one of my ibook's, once, no good, twice still the same problem, three times fixed it and then i ripped the socket that powers the lcd off the bord when reassembling it

I have also used the same way to fix faulty usb wifi cards, much easier, needs much less heating

Return to “Off topic discussion”