duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

resources significant for uks 'economic well-being'

Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:54 pm

:oops:
after a little read of
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/jun/2 ... ations-nsa

im left wandering just how significant Africa's (and other's ) resources are for uks 'economic well-being' ?
He explained that when such "needles" were found a log was made and the interception commissioner could see that log.

"The criteria are security, terror, organised crime. And economic well-being. There's an auditing process to go back through the logs and see if it was justified or not.
if things like rights / justice / equality (people!) stand in the way of this perceived 'economic well-being' .
will they (continue to) be (as) marginalised / ignored / unimportant .

---
“West sees glittering prizes ahead .. " and rarely what is left behind .
^ quote - ROB NEWMAN’S HISTORY OF OIL
--ed-it--
“Losing one glove is certainly painful, but nothing compared to the pain, of losing one, throwing away the other, and finding the first one again.” -Piet Hein
Last edited by duberry on Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

gritz

Re: resources significant for uks 'economic well-being'

Sat Jun 22, 2013 4:23 am

Indeed. I'm minded of another story that won't go away - the curiously "accidental" hacking of wifi by Google streetview cars - vehicles that were designed exliicitly to take pictures - not to snoop on people's home computers.

Google pays for the internet, so letting them do whatever they like is apparently the lesser of two evils. Trampling over the natives in order to exploit their natural resources. Sound familiar?

Similarly, anyone who objects to "whoever" sniffing through their internet traffic obviously has something to hide. But is it really any different to coming home and finding plain clothes cops rummaging about in your garden shed just to make sure you haven't been brewing elicit hooch? Every day? At least with the shed scenario you could hit one of 'em over the head with a shovel and claim you thought they were burglars...

Why aren't we more vexed about this? And why do we fall over ourselves to connect every device we buy to the internet? If the government (with it's woeful record on technology projects) can hack us, you can be sure that the other guys are doing it ten times more efficiently.

aTao

Sat Jun 22, 2013 6:40 am

I smell a rat with the snooping story...
GCHQ is not sited at "The Centre of the Internet" so, unless there have been some extra cables laid or some massive new server farms located at the main switching centres then the already near full internet would have slowed down by a half. It hasnt.
Also, should this in fact be the case then there will be no need to burden all ISPs with gathering, storing and sending such data to GCHQ, and thats a huge bonus for any ISP customer since it is us that would bear the cost and performance hit.
But, hey, if they want to pry into all my online aliases, my fantasy warriors, they are welcome, personally I dont put much of the REAL me out there, REAL me does REAL things in REAL life.
And... (just one more) should I decide to send a covert or sensitive message then "they" wouldnt even know its there nor where its hidden or how its hidden or how its encrypted. There are plenty of illegal methods to encrypt data that are effectively un-hackable.
The ONLY intelligence that can be gathered by internet snooping is of seriously unintelligent targets.
>)))'><'(((<

Steve Andrew

Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:51 pm

aTao wrote: And... (just one more) should I decide to send a covert or sensitiv message then "they" wouldnt even know its there nor where its hidden or how its hidden or how its encrypted. There are plenty of illegal methods to encrypt data that are effectively un-hackable.
The ONLY intelligence that can be gathered by internet snooping is of seriously unintelligent targets.
Exactly. BTW - Is there such a thing as 'illegal' encryption ?
Experience is proportional to equipment destroyed

W. H. Heydt

Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:20 am

Steve Andrew wrote:
Exactly. BTW - Is there such a thing as 'illegal' encryption ?
Almost certainly...depending on where you are. Many governments take a dim view of any encryption they can't crack easily.

TideMan

Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:40 am

Military/Government Intelligence - is there a better definition of an oxymoron?
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

gritz

Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:57 am

TideMan wrote:Military/Government Intelligence - is there a better definition of an oxymoron?
:D Maybe all the failed government I.T, projects are just a cover.

Or maybe not.

duberry
Location: standing on a planet that's evolving. And revolving at nine hundred miles an hour

Tue Mar 04, 2014 9:45 pm

TideMan wrote:Military/Government Intelligence - is there a better definition of an oxymoron?
i was going to say "The Mother of All Conflicts: You can't have infinite growth on a finite planet. " but aparently the internet tells me this is a paradox.

Any way thanks for the replys to my strings of text but what it is i was talking about c is some where between a and b

a)Aboriginal rights a threat to Canada's resource agenda, documents reveal
b)Britain destroyed records of colonial crimes

in case it intrests any one or there is some sort of problem with equipment of the "survalience team"
Im listning to " 'Not in the Public Interest': The 2014 Sir David Williams Lecture " as i copy an paste my strings of text .
War has tamed the democratic instinct of this country. It has replaced one idea of security: social security, human flourishing, potentiality, equality, fairness, an opportunity for all; with another. A security linked to land
found via wired.co.uk/news/archive/2014-02/24/law-in-surveillance-state
---
"A Witch! Burn her!"

Return to “Off topic discussion”