tritonium

Re: Intel 8086 CPU

Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi

Mention of the 68000 cpu takes me back many many years. I wire wrapped a board for a flight simulator that a school teacher and I were building as part of some government funded thing at the time and we needed graphics. In those days there was little money available and all we could manage was vector graphics on a black and white monitor and we used a 68k board to do the number-crunching in floating point. There is a socket for a number cruncher but we only had one between two boards - this one lost out. It was all powered by a BBC micro on the 1meg bus. There were about six processors - some 6502's and a 68k. We passed messages through a sort of DMA - the beeb sent a busrq to the cpu and took over its ram and wrote 64 bytes of data and let go. Different procs had different jobs - joystick, artificial horizon, instruments with stepper motors replacing the actual gubbins and some led arrays for various things and the sound. All good fun. We had to submit a dossier with circuits software etc - we got our money and no more was heard. I gues its all in a drawer somw where.... All done in assembler of course... Happy days

I just had to go see if I could find the spare and this must be the first time its seen light since....  forever...(it seems)

I posted some pictures - couldn't find any instructions on how to but seeing it required a url I used postimage.org. (will it work I wonder?)

Dave

[Image Can Not Be Found]     [Image Can Not Be Found]

Lob0426

Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:19 am

What is this? The old guys thread!

*8086, *8088-2, *80286, *80386, *80486, 68000, 68020! some processors like the 80286 are still being used in older fire control boards.

* ones I have used
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

SeanD

Tue Apr 10, 2012 6:20 am

Lob0426 said:

I was only thinking the same earlier.  Especially when I glanced across my office to look somewhat affectionately on the 8086-2 from '78 I have mounted in a perspex box to remind people where the term x86 comes from. Next to it I have an IBM 4381 MCM CPU which people usually pick up scratch their heads and then as "is that [email protected]

SN

Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:15 pm

Lob0426 said:

That's EXACTLY what it is.  And threads like this will continue to thrive until we all have real raspis in our 'grubby paws'
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

reiuyi

Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:04 pm

SN said:

Lob0426 said:

That"s EXACTLY what it is.  And threads like this will continue to thrive until we all have real raspis in our "grubby paws"

Hey watch it, I'm not that old . This is one of my really stupid projects that must keep me occupied until I can actually buy a raspberry. Buying an arduino and a bigger breadboard would probably be equally as fun to pass the time, though that wouldn't be as classy as saying I built my own IBM-compatible computer and actually understand address/data buses

exartemarte

Wed Apr 11, 2012 3:26 pm

Loved the 68K series, which I used as recently as the 90s for teaching Microprocessor Systems.

I learned low-level programming on Z80s and 6502s. By comparison the 68000s had a neat, flexible architecture and a straightforward, logical instruction set.

tritonium

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:07 pm

tritonium said:

Hi

Mention of the 68000 cpu takes me back many many years. I wire wrapped a board for a flight simulator that a school teacher and I were building as part of some government funded thing at the time and we needed graphics. In those days there was little money available and all we could manage was vector graphics on a black and white monitor and we used a 68k board to do the number-crunching in floating point. There is a socket for a number cruncher but we only had one between two boards - this one lost out. It was all powered by a BBC micro on the 1meg bus. There were about six processors - some 6502's and a 68k. We passed messages through a sort of DMA - the beeb sent a busrq to the cpu and took over its ram and wrote 64 bytes of data and let go. Different procs had different jobs - joystick, artificial horizon, instruments with stepper motors replacing the actual gubbins and some led arrays for various things and the sound. All good fun. We had to submit a dossier with circuits software etc - we got our money and no more was heard. I gues its all in a drawer somw where.... All done in assembler of course... Happy days

I just had to go see if I could find the spare and this must be the first time its seen light since....  forever...(it seems)

I posted some pictures - couldn't find any instructions on how to but seeing it required a url I used postimage.org. (will it work I wonder?)

Dave

http://postimage.org/image/rn7vqosmn/     http://s19.postimage.org/627eg.....8kback.jpg

tritonium

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:10 pm

tritonium said:

Hi

Dave

tritonium

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:12 pm

tritonium said:

tritonium said:

Hi

Mention of the 68000 cpu takes me back many many years. I wire wrapped a board for a flight simulator that a school teacher and I were building as part of some government funded thing at the time and we needed graphics. In those days there was little money available and all we could manage was vector graphics on a black and white monitor and we used a 68k board to do the number-crunching in floating point. There is a socket for a number cruncher but we only had one between two boards - this one lost out. It was all powered by a BBC micro on the 1meg bus. There were about six processors - some 6502"s and a 68k. We passed messages through a sort of DMA - the beeb sent a busrq to the cpu and took over its ram and wrote 64 bytes of data and let go. Different procs had different jobs - joystick, artificial horizon, instruments with stepper motors replacing the actual gubbins and some led arrays for various things and the sound. All good fun. We had to submit a dossier with circuits software etc - we got our money and no more was heard. I gues its all in a drawer somw where.... All done in assembler of course... Happy days

I posted some pictures - couldn"t find any instructions on how to but seeing it required a url I used postimage.org. (will it work I wonder?)

Dave

tritonium

Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:15 pm

sorry !!!! forum problems (mine)

reiuyi

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:48 pm

tritonium said:

We had to submit a dossier with circuits software etc – we got our money and no more was heard. I gues its all in a drawer somw where…. All done in assembler of course… Happy days

I just had to go see if I could find the spare and this must be the first time its seen light since….  forever…(it seems)

I posted some pictures – couldn"t find any instructions on how to but seeing it required a url I used postimage.org. (will it work I wonder?)

Dave

Because you're the creator of this device, you can release it into public domain or GPL if you like. Rather than letting all the hard work go to waste in the forgetfulness of history, you can publish the schematics, source codes and perhaps even your thoughts on it and the development process (how was it made, what did you guys consider). Websites like Github or Google Code are good for publishing source code. Websites like Instructables can be useful for explaining schematics, and forums like the raspberry pi forum, or afrotechmods are okay for sharing the design principles behind a device and how you came to the ideas. Wire-wrap images are cool to post, but they are of very little value to someone who wants to do something similar and wants a good starting point

Return to “Off topic discussion”