dave j

Re: Raspberry Pi Alternative?

Sat Mar 31, 2012 10:16 am

Some people have far too much time on their hands.

World's slowest Linux computer

hippy

Sat Mar 31, 2012 12:20 pm

Top stuff, but then I do have a liking for projects that prove things can be done regardless of practicality of the result.

Such projects can be met with derision ( I'm not accusing dave j of that ! ) because it's ultimately impractical, but that's usually to miss the point; that "impossible" often isn't actually true, it's the foundation for further effort which could be more practical, and those doing the project usually achieve a lot more than just the headline result.

If it weren't for people thinking "I wonder if I could..." the world would be a much duller and probably more backward place. I see the R-Pi computer as fitting perfectly for facilitating those who are willing to try things and explore possibilities.

Now who's going to be the first to write an R-Pi computer based AVR emulator to run The World's Slowest Linux Computer and give it 1080p video output

Andre_P

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:06 pm

Fantastic, lots of perseverance going on there .

I'm not fully conversant of the requirements but WAYYYYY back in the 80's someone did put Unix (or something very similiar) onto an Apple //e. Note that is NOT a Mac, but the 6502 based machine with a WHOPPING 128 kB memory (I think there was some bank switching going on).

But that does NOT detract from this chaps hard work, it's lovely to see someone doing this kind of thing. I'll have to send him a bit file for Trinity and see him go even further back in the development cycle .

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:16 pm

But does it run Windows?  

Seriously, its the same sort of insane genius that Eben showed us when he made the ur-Pi.  If it wasn't because he had a similar itch to scratch, we wouldn't be where we are today.

I don't think I'll be having a go at implementing it..... 
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Phil Spiegel

Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:32 pm

I had a BBC B program which created 'windows' - from the days when it meant an aperture through which something could be seen or accessed.  That ran on a 6502.

It had the accepted 'frame' with header bar etc.

I can't remember if the windows could be moved .... but even before that, on the BBC 'fixed' window areas could be defined which confined activity therein.

Who would want to implement  M..soft and slow down a useful BBC B?

ah ... because it can be done!

(Declaring Bias - I'm still a daily RiscOS user: Artworks, DTP, Photodesk....

Lob0426

Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:54 pm

Not a good sign when the camera batteries had to be charged several times during the text output. I think that is the version that is being used by the USA Senate and Congress to compute a budget.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “Off topic discussion”