Re: Please Update Site Tag Line to Replace "box" with "board" and "$25" with "$35"

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:04 am

The tag line in the website header reads "An ARM GNU/Linux box for $25. Take a byte". I believe that has been an ongoing source of confusion and consternation as it"s not accurate, and not likely to be true for a very long time to come, if ever (was/is a case ever going to be included in the $25 price, such as the educational institution versions, at-cost?). Specifically, I would replace the word "box" with "board" and replace "$25" with "$35" (the latter until the Model A board is actually shipping). That now appears to be many months away, assuming production isn"t started in parallel with volume production of the back-ordered Model B boards.

Yes, this is well past the horse being long out of the barn, but, I have to say that I find it a continuing irritation at best, and disingenuous, at worst, every time I see it when a site page loads. I doubt that I"m alone in this, and it may be occurring subconsciously to others, adding to the overall disappointment in the ongoing (and ever-expanding) string of delays.

The time for wide-eyed, overly-optimistic promotion is long past, and some truth-in advertising is long overdue. I"m not trying to be negative, I just think we all need to be realistic and start calling a spade a spade so that even more people don"t wind up disappointed and disillusioned. That pretty well describes at least 100,000 (probably hundreds of thousands of) people lined up trying to give the foundation more money than it knows what to do with for the foreseeable future.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Please Update Site Tag Line to Replace "box" with "board" and "$25" with "$35"

Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:50 am

Although I do prefer to call a spade a rectangular bladed digging implement, there might be some mileage there. There is a plan to move to a new forum,  I'm thinking things will change then.

Although, $25 is still the price of the model A....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

RaTTuS

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:03 am

The Price point has always been $25 for model a ex taxes and delivery - it has never said that would be the price you pay.

there where hints they had some model a's in testing - only the foundation knows

now I have ordered a RPiB - and will use it however I can see me getting several RPiAs as I have ideas for those . and the extra saving will help
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:24 am

Calling a spade a manual earth inverting instrument is one thing, and you've made YOUR point.  At length.  The reason for the tagline has been covered above and I see no reason to add to it.

As there is no point in letting this discussion run, I'll lock it.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “Off topic discussion”