Andre_P

Re: Just in case anyone forgot what this is all about

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:29 pm

Hi All,

My partner ,She Who Must Be Obeyed (SWMBO), is a GP Nurse (her former roles are also of extreme interest but moving on).

One morning last week a Mother and her young son came in for something, the son obviously very bright, asking about the various symbols and their meanings.

My partner turned round and told him it was more than likely because I asked lots of questions and was curious that I ended up designing silicon chips.

At this point he looked sad and advised that while he used a computer at school he didn't have a computer at home because they couldn't afford one.

So my partner told him about the RPi, printed some details off and handed them to him.

At this point apparently it was as if LOTS of lightbulbs lit up for him, asking about programming and the like, even to the point of possibly writing games on it.

For me, this is why the RPi is important.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:56 pm

i wish we had a like button. that is definitely what the raspberrypi is all about. not us whingers

john_wage

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:33 pm

No!

I'm going to order at least 10 RPi's and turn them into witty gadgets like remote controlled beer openers and solar powered light bulbs.

Those children born into poverty aspiring to get a career in programming/electronics shall have none of it!

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:46 pm

ukscone said:

i wish we had a like button. that is definitely what the raspberrypi is all about. not us whingers

Speak for yourself – I for one am very positive in my outlook, despite RS taking my interest and responding with chatty emails about how they've decided to make ALL the Pis compliant in case some muppet buys an obvious development system thinking its consumer and getting themselves bloody electrocuted on [email protected] bloody whingers…

Ooops…

That didn't go as intended! 

Edit:  ROTFLMAO about voltage and current being interpreted as a valid email address....  Wishing the scrapers good luck with THAT one!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

meltwater

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:06 pm

The thing is..the ones which don't have all the computer stuff are probably the ones who will make the most of it. Other kids will put the PS3 back on after 5mins.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

JonB

Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:55 pm

No!

I"m going to order at least 10 RPi"s and turn them into witty gadgets like remote controlled beer openers and solar powered light bulbs.

Those children born into poverty aspiring to get a career in programming/electronics shall have none of it!

How true. They will be undercut by cheap offshore developers whose output is prolific but crap. And do not think for one moment that working for a company as a games programmer is going to pay well - it does not. Games programming is one of the most poorly paid sectors of the software development world (I presume the employers can get away with this because it"s "fun"). No. The way to a well paid job, if you are not going to be a successful entrepreneur like that bloke who invented Moshi Monsters, appears to be along the rather boring lines of financial software, working long hours in the gulags of the City.

That"s what I do, and it is really unfulfilling, although it does pay the bills.

babbage

Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:20 pm

Good post and is also the reason why I'm a little sad that the buy one give one options seems to have gone away, at least for now. Being a person of careful means, I had put aside cash to do that when they first became available but of course now it is with Farnell & RS that seems a little more difficult.

I hope that option is available soon.

riffraff

Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:20 pm

JonB said:

...How true. They will be undercut by cheap offshore developers whose output is prolific but crap. And do not think for one moment that working for a company as a games programmer is going to pay well - it does not. Games programming is one of the most poorly paid sectors of the software development world (I presume the employers can get away with this because it"s "fun"). No. The way to a well paid job, if you are not going to be a successful entrepreneur like that bloke who invented Moshi Monsters, appears to be along the rather boring lines of financial software, working long hours in the gulags of the City.
That"s what I do, and it is really unfulfilling, although it does pay the bills.

That's why I'm a baker now. =)

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:36 am

There are a few other options. I program automotive test systems. I don't get to play formula 1 racing games all day, but my kit probably tested parts of most formula 1 cars.

And there's a significant chance that the engine of your car was designed using my kit and tested off the production line using my kit.

As for fun, two of the projects I've worked on have their own electricity sub-station. The DACs I use have 400 amp outputs. Every now and then I get to play on a rolling road or push an engine to its limits (ever seen an exhaust pipe glowing cherry red?)

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:21 am

JonB said:

How true. They will be undercut by cheap offshore developers whose output is prolific but crap. And do not think for one moment that working for a company as a games programmer is going to pay well - it does not. Games programming is one of the most poorly paid sectors of the software development world (I presume the employers can get away with this because it"s "fun"). No. The way to a well paid job, if you are not going to be a successful entrepreneur like that bloke who invented Moshi Monsters, appears to be along the rather boring lines of financial software, working long hours in the gulags of the City.

Whilst I agree that offshore development is on the whole prolific but crap, there are still plenty of options here in the UK. For example, the Broadcom Cambridge offices are desparate for decent engineers. We often have to employee people from abroad because the UK people are not up to scratch. Very interesting (to me anyway) with decent pay as well.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

JonB

Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:40 pm

In that case, JamesH...

"Gizzajob!"

Actually, I"ve been in the application server space for so long, I"m not that au fait with hardware anymore, which is why I took up some retro computing. I did build a UK101 clone with point to point wiring (pad board and prototyping wire, took ages to do the address and data busses) and it is working well. Sat in a translucent case that was used to contain Duracell batteries, an offer pack. Speaking of which, it might make a good RPi case... But anyway, I suspect the sort of person you"re after is going to be a bit more versed in the ways of the Force than me. Electromagnetic force, that is...

I stand by what I said before though. I agree with the education aims of the Foundation, but I am really not sure I want to encourage my kids to take up programming as a career.

Cheers

JonB

john_wage

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:34 pm

I don't want to start a heated discussion here but I think you guys are trashing programming as a career choice to unnecessary extent.

There are plenty of markets out there where one can get a job after 3 years of school and then sit at a production line for the rest of their life, those jobs are standardized for today's society and essentially they are the safety net for those who really have no ambitions in life.

The problem is that industries have tried to make programming fall in to this category too, programming is actually an art of passion more than anything else. If you do programming for no other reason than to get your monthly paycheck then you might as well quit.

Those with a true passion for programming will achieve great expertise in it, and they can get jobs where they can do what they love to do, and programming is also a market that is very easily accessible for the individual, ie. it is easy to directly sell your own software without having to go through all the legal jargon like if you were a physical goods seller.

Skygod

Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:49 pm

I am personally disgusted that JamesH used this thread to encourage people to work for Broadcom. The aims of the Foundation and the reasoning for the production of the board is NOT to get Broadcom more technologically gifted graduates (probably at a lower income level than they have to get by employiong from abroad).

Admins; if you cannot differentiate your work aims from the forum or Foundation aims then resign from being a forum Admin!

john_wage

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:05 pm

@Skygod

that was a bit uncalled for and hostile imo.

Besides, where does it say that the voice of board Admins would reflect the official opinion of the RPi foundation?

Nowhere, so just like any other user they are free to express any biased or unbiased opinions they might have.

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:18 pm

Skygod said:

I am personally disgusted that JamesH used this thread to encourage people to work for Broadcom. The aims of the Foundation and the reasoning for the production of the board is NOT to get Broadcom more technologically gifted graduates (probably at a lower income level than they have to get by employiong from abroad).

Admins; if you cannot differentiate your work aims from the forum or Foundation aims then resign from being a forum Admin!

The comment below is not the opinion of a Foundation member, Broadcom employee or any other conflicted group as I am a 90% of the time househusband.

Actually in a convoluted way the aims of the foundation are to get Broadcom (and other companies) technologically gifted graduates who are British nationals.

IMHO JamesH was not doing anything wrong. If I worked for a company and enjoyed doing it i'd be encouraging people to apply to work there all the time, so much so in fact i'd be considered a company wh*** although IMHO JamesH wasn't doing that

& Skygod you are getting very close to crossing the line in breaking the "no rudeness or insulting people" rule. i'll give you the benefit of the doubt this time but please moderate your phrasing in future.

JonB

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:28 pm

He"s allowed to be disgusted, even if none of us can understand the reason why!

I should point out that without Broadcom buying into the project, there would be no RPi. You fancy paying £80 for a Beagleboard? No, me neither. As I understand it, they"re supplying the SOC far cheaper than normal, and this indicates to me they support the Foundation"s mission statement.

Which brings me right back to the original topic...

ukscone
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:35 pm

JonB said:

he's allowed to be disgusted all he wants in private, and to a certain extent in public, but he's not allowed to be rude or insult people and he was getting close to that.

but as you say "now back to our regular programming"

tzj

Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:50 pm

I"d ask for a job too, but there"s been no apprentice applications AFAIK, especially for people without a uni degree already :/
http://www.themagpi.com <---- Checkout the MagPi
(The MagPi - Co-Founder)

scep

Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:11 pm

Skygod said:

Are you sure that you didn't miss a smiley of there Skygod? Because it just reminds me of a Viz Letter

Skygod

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:14 pm

Okay, sorry!

Ultimately it's to get every UK technology company a better quality of applicant.

It will take time though.

They have to learn what industry will expect of them and they'll need to go through many years of good and appropriate education before they are in a position to apply for such a position.

Let's hope the 'Great' in Briatain can mean something again.

jamesh

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:21 pm

Skygod said:

Strangely, I'm NOT personally disgusted that you used this thread to mount a really quite bizarre attack on me. Just bemused.

The aim of the Foundation IS to get companies in the UK (and elsewhere) more technologically gifted people. Broadcom is one of those companies. So I am really not sure what the problem is. And I think you will find that foreign employees are generally cheaper than home grown, although in Broadcom's case the nationality of its employees does not affect their payscale.

Any more attacks like this and you will be ban hammered. You really are pushing your luck.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

jamesh

Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:24 pm

JonB said:

I should point out that without Broadcom buying into the project, there would be no RPi. You fancy paying £80 for a Beagleboard? No, me neither. As I understand it, they"re supplying the SOC far cheaper than normal, and this indicates to me they support the Foundation"s mission statement.

Which brings me right back to the original topic...

You are right that without Broadcom's involvement this project probably wouldn't exist, at least, not yet. It's not just the chip price, but the tech support behind it, which is at  a much higher level than most people realise.

Jessie

Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:48 pm

Skygod said:

Actually, we can say and do whatever we want and there is nothing you can do about it.  If you don't like what James has to say then get lost.

SN

Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:11 pm

Suggest thread is closed. . . Gulp.
Steve N – binatone mk4->intellivision->zx81->spectrum->cbm64->cpc6128->520stfm->pc->raspi ?

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:31 pm

@Skygod:

As a Bear of Little Brain I'm slightly confused.

JamesH remarked that while there's a lot of offshoring going on, there are plenty of options in the UK, FOR EXAMPLE  Broadcom UK were short of engineers and had to employ people from abroad as they could not find British engineers with appropriate skills.

In my book, thats not using this thread "to encourage people to work for Broadcom", rather that its a straight comment on the difficulty of getting appropriately qualified people to work at any position in an organisation and is a rather good reason why children need to be encouraged to take more than a passing interest in technology.

Put simply, it means that there will be a pool of talent for UK companies, not just Broadcom, and indeed companies in the EU and further afield to draw upon,  And THAT, is one of the main aims of the Foundation.

Your synthetic "outrage" is noted. And deprecated.

I'm told that taking a deep breath and counting to ten before committing yourself to cold text is a useful discipline.  You could try it sometime instead of embarassing yourself.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “Off topic discussion”