dave j

Re: Elite presentation by David Braben

Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:35 am

Last year the Game Developers Conference had some presentations by people responsible for classic games.

David Braben did one on Elite - which, given the discussion about an RPi version of the game here, I thought some of you might be interested in.

grumpyoldgit

Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:42 pm

Just watched it. Very interesting. I'm assuming he must have been in second year at Uni when the game came out, so perhaps 19 or 20. Must have been a bit of a shock suddenly getting that money and success at such an early age.

Chromatix

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:05 pm

And well deserved - the man has serious talent.

It is said in the upper echelons of the software development world that one really good developer is worth more than a hundred or even a thousand mediocre ones, such as you might get by hiring in bulk or by outsourcing to India.

That presentation demonstrates very clearly why: you can't expect a hundred-strong "team" to come up with those sorts of clever tricks and tradeoffs to squeeze something awesome into an 8-bit micro.  One or two clever, highly focused developers, however, *can*.

It is no coincidence that the mega-consultant firms, who regularly employ large teams of mediocre programmers on their projects, so often produce failures or bloated, barely functioning successes.  It astonishes me that they keep getting new business.
The key to knowledge is not to rely on people to teach you it.

Vindicator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:42 pm

Thank you for posting this it is very interesting and gives insights that I wish modern game writers would utilize.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:36 pm

Thanks for the link. Great talk.

Return to “Off topic discussion”