Robert_M

Re: Most Users Ever Online: 969

Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:10 am

Before launch, I kinda doubted this number. But now, I find it unbelievable. Less than a thousand people on the forum at once? Unpossible!

My guess is that it's merely the upper limit on what the forum software can track.
I sometimes ride my Pi to the Forum.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:46 am

Its an odd figure to be sure, and even now, there are 17 members logged in and 123 mystery guests browsing the forums.  Remember, on the Big Day, and for several days following, the forum was replaced by a static page so no logins or "guests" could be accepted or recorded.  969 may well have been topped but for that.

Its an odd number, not a straightforward power of 2, which is what I'd expect if it were a forum software limitation.  I think it may be more of a bandwidth artifact of the old servers, with browsers giving up as the server slowed down.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:08 am

That number was hit some days before the launch. It was during the period when the forum crashed a lot under the strain. I'm surprised it's not been exceeded since the new server was put in place.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

reiuyi

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:27 pm

I think they were talking about getting new forum software at some point, because the current forum software doesn't seem really friendly to the servers when there are many users online

Kernel

Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:30 pm

It is because most people aren't that interested in the forum.

If they can look on the site to see if it is on sale and use the wiki to install the os and do whatever they want on it they will be happy.

So you are left with the people who take more of an interest in what can be done with the pi and even then the amount of people who actually sign up than just 'lurk' is small as you can see the number of guests is larger.

Return to “Off topic discussion”